Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast
    Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    "Small vociferous group", who is that?
    The group who are called for one minute of silence at the opening ceremony obviously.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    The group who are called for one minute of silence at the opening ceremony obviously.
    And who would that be? And why would a "small" group have to be "placated"?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Prick Admin
    vCash
    And who would that be?
    Surely you know since you seem to be such a strong advocate of their cause.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Surely you know since you seem to be such a strong advocate of their cause.
    I would like you to say who they are, please and to answer my question why it would be important for the world leaders to placate this "small" group.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    In any case, you didn't see the tribute to the 7/7 victims because NBC showed an interview with Michael Phelps instead. So Bob Costas wanted to observe a minute of silence for one event, but edited out another. I call hypocrite.
    Oh, that's terrible. Talk about a double standard.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    I would like you to say who they are, please and to answer my question why it would be important for the world leaders to placate this "small" group.
    They're called "voters" and governments are made up of politicians. It's their job to make promises that they know they can't keep.

vCash
    The IOC has avoided the massacre in Munich like the plague for 40 years now. Probably has something to do with being based in Europe and there is a lot of anti-semitism in Europe.

vCash
    In any case, you didn't see the tribute to the 7/7 victims because NBC showed an interview with Michael Phelps instead. So Bob Costas wanted to observe a minute of silence for one event, but edited out another. I call hypocrite.
    I think it's understandable that they didn't do a moment of silence for Munich, though I would have thought it was much nicer had they granted them the ability to do it, but it is completely and totally insensitive and not at all understandable that NBC would edit out the 7/7 tribute. How horrible.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    They're called "voters" and governments are made up of politicians. It's their job to make promises that they know they can't keep.
    Voters are a small group? I see. I find it interesting that you wouldn't name the group.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    The IOC has avoided the massacre in Munich like the plague for 40 years now. Probably has something to do with being based in Europe and there is a lot of anti-semitism in Europe.
    Indeed.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I'm sure he was calling for the tribute so NBC could have had the opportunity to show more McDonalds/Coca-Cola/P&G "Brought to you by Mom" commercials, followed by yet another shot of Kate Middleton.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Voters are a small group? I see. I find it interesting that you wouldn't name the group.
    It's the group lobbying for a minute of silence at the London Olympics Opening Ceremony, you stupid bint. Do you think that Obama, Clinton etc. decidedly spontaneously to ask the IOC off their own bat?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Why wouldn't you name the group then? And why would Obama, Clinton and heads of state of other country bow to their request? After all, they are small. I would like you to explain it.

I also find it interesting that you expressed the hope that IOC would never grant the request, due to the "toys being thrown out of the pram". Is it the same group?

from Speedy Death

vCash
    The segment which NBC cut was actually announced in the stadium as a "tribute & moment of rembrance for all those who are no longer with us" - and then the BBC announcer went on to talk about 7/7, as it's the event most pertinent to us as a country, but the tribute itself encompassed more than 7/7. For those who wanted a moment to remember the Israeli athletes it would have served perfectly, had NBC not been so crass as to cut it.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    I've explained it to you the best I can. If you can't understand then that is your problem and I'm putting an end to this conversation as I'm sure it is boring other posters.

No doubt you'll post something in reply so you can have the last word and think you've "won" the argument, but I'm done here.

vCash
    Why wouldn't you name the group then? And why would Obama, Clinton and heads of state of other country bow to their request? After all, they are small. I would like you to explain it.
    I'm confused. I thought it was clear that the small group allezfred was referring to was, naturally, the small group of people (whether or not it is small is up for debate - he clearly thinks it is, and I don't think it can be proven either way) who are lobbying for the minute of silence. It doesn't have an official name. Why would it have an official name?

Failing her snatch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post
    The segment which NBC cut was actually announced in the stadium as a "tribute & moment of rembrance for all those who are no longer with us" - and then the BBC announcer went on to talk about 7/7, as it's the event most pertinent to us as a country, but the tribute itself encompassed more than 7/7. For those who wanted a moment to remember the Israeli athletes it would have served perfectly, had NBC not been so crass as to cut it.
    You are SO right ! - No particular incident was mentioned.

Who the F are these US residents getting on our case when they have had 2 Olys since 1972 and havent bothered,

Ugh ... grip, get one. Please. I am very sorry for what happened in the year I was born but I am really getting shitted off with the talk that LONDON (with many many many HUGE tragedies of it's own!) should make an effort while it hasn't been called for before.
    Dont Hate! Gyrate!

vCash
    Did the US do a minute of silence at the 2002 Olympics, which was 30 years later? Or is that not pertinent because it was the Winter Olympics and the attack happened at the Summer Olympics?

What about the 1992 Summer Olympics in Spain? Was there a minute of silence there? Was there an outcry if there was not one?

vCash
    For fecks sake. The 7/7 attacks happened the day after London was awarded the Games so it is inextricably linked the 2012 Games in the minds of the UK public. They are directly related to this Olympic Games. That is the difference.

With all the whining and throwing toys out of the pram about 1972, I hope the IOC never gives in to the minute of silence demands.
    I was just explaining why some people were upset. Without your explanation Fred, I didn't understand the general feeling in the UK about the whole thing. And speaking from what I heard not so much what I experienced. The way you explained it, makes more sense to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Parsley Sage View Post
    They are moving it to the end of the stadium where the bell was during the opening ceremony. At the end of the games, they will take it apart and the countries each get their petal back.
    Thanks. I liked the bell. I can see a future for a bell in the Olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Did the US do a minute of silence at the 2002 Olympics, which was 30 years later?
    I think they didn't. They commemorated 9/11.

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast