Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast
Results 421 to 440 of 455
  1. #421
    Prick Admin
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Having a kiki
    Posts
    41,878
    vCash
    506
    Rep Power
    12218
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    "Small vociferous group", who is that?
    The group who are called for one minute of silence at the opening ceremony obviously.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

  2. #422
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    29,501
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20235
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    The group who are called for one minute of silence at the opening ceremony obviously.
    And who would that be? And why would a "small" group have to be "placated"?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  3. #423
    Prick Admin
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Having a kiki
    Posts
    41,878
    vCash
    506
    Rep Power
    12218
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    And who would that be?
    Surely you know since you seem to be such a strong advocate of their cause.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

  4. #424
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    29,501
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20235
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Surely you know since you seem to be such a strong advocate of their cause.
    I would like you to say who they are, please and to answer my question why it would be important for the world leaders to placate this "small" group.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  5. #425

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,366
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    In any case, you didn't see the tribute to the 7/7 victims because NBC showed an interview with Michael Phelps instead. So Bob Costas wanted to observe a minute of silence for one event, but edited out another. I call hypocrite.
    Oh, that's terrible. Talk about a double standard.

  6. #426
    Prick Admin
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Having a kiki
    Posts
    41,878
    vCash
    506
    Rep Power
    12218
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I would like you to say who they are, please and to answer my question why it would be important for the world leaders to placate this "small" group.
    They're called "voters" and governments are made up of politicians. It's their job to make promises that they know they can't keep.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

  7. #427

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,641
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The IOC has avoided the massacre in Munich like the plague for 40 years now. Probably has something to do with being based in Europe and there is a lot of anti-semitism in Europe.

  8. #428
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Age
    24
    Posts
    9,017
    vCash
    1529
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    In any case, you didn't see the tribute to the 7/7 victims because NBC showed an interview with Michael Phelps instead. So Bob Costas wanted to observe a minute of silence for one event, but edited out another. I call hypocrite.
    I think it's understandable that they didn't do a moment of silence for Munich, though I would have thought it was much nicer had they granted them the ability to do it, but it is completely and totally insensitive and not at all understandable that NBC would edit out the 7/7 tribute. How horrible.

  9. #429
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    29,501
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20235
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    They're called "voters" and governments are made up of politicians. It's their job to make promises that they know they can't keep.
    Voters are a small group? I see. I find it interesting that you wouldn't name the group.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    The IOC has avoided the massacre in Munich like the plague for 40 years now. Probably has something to do with being based in Europe and there is a lot of anti-semitism in Europe.
    Indeed.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  10. #430

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    7,594
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1913
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    In any case, you didn't see the tribute to the 7/7 victims because NBC showed an interview with Michael Phelps instead. So Bob Costas wanted to observe a minute of silence for one event, but edited out another. I call hypocrite.
    I'm sure he was calling for the tribute so NBC could have had the opportunity to show more McDonalds/Coca-Cola/P&G "Brought to you by Mom" commercials, followed by yet another shot of Kate Middleton.

  11. #431
    Prick Admin
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Having a kiki
    Posts
    41,878
    vCash
    506
    Rep Power
    12218
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Voters are a small group? I see. I find it interesting that you wouldn't name the group.
    It's the group lobbying for a minute of silence at the London Olympics Opening Ceremony, you stupid bint. Do you think that Obama, Clinton etc. decidedly spontaneously to ask the IOC off their own bat?
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

  12. #432
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    29,501
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20235
    Why wouldn't you name the group then? And why would Obama, Clinton and heads of state of other country bow to their request? After all, they are small. I would like you to explain it.

    I also find it interesting that you expressed the hope that IOC would never grant the request, due to the "toys being thrown out of the pram". Is it the same group?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  13. #433

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    LDN
    Posts
    861
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The segment which NBC cut was actually announced in the stadium as a "tribute & moment of rembrance for all those who are no longer with us" - and then the BBC announcer went on to talk about 7/7, as it's the event most pertinent to us as a country, but the tribute itself encompassed more than 7/7. For those who wanted a moment to remember the Israeli athletes it would have served perfectly, had NBC not been so crass as to cut it.

  14. #434
    Prick Admin
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Having a kiki
    Posts
    41,878
    vCash
    506
    Rep Power
    12218
    I've explained it to you the best I can. If you can't understand then that is your problem and I'm putting an end to this conversation as I'm sure it is boring other posters.

    No doubt you'll post something in reply so you can have the last word and think you've "won" the argument, but I'm done here.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

  15. #435
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Age
    24
    Posts
    9,017
    vCash
    1529
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Why wouldn't you name the group then? And why would Obama, Clinton and heads of state of other country bow to their request? After all, they are small. I would like you to explain it.
    I'm confused. I thought it was clear that the small group allezfred was referring to was, naturally, the small group of people (whether or not it is small is up for debate - he clearly thinks it is, and I don't think it can be proven either way) who are lobbying for the minute of silence. It doesn't have an official name. Why would it have an official name?

  16. #436
    Failing her snatch
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    The Isles Of Wonder :P
    Age
    42
    Posts
    16,439
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    5708
    Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post
    The segment which NBC cut was actually announced in the stadium as a "tribute & moment of rembrance for all those who are no longer with us" - and then the BBC announcer went on to talk about 7/7, as it's the event most pertinent to us as a country, but the tribute itself encompassed more than 7/7. For those who wanted a moment to remember the Israeli athletes it would have served perfectly, had NBC not been so crass as to cut it.
    You are SO right ! - No particular incident was mentioned.

    Who the F are these US residents getting on our case when they have had 2 Olys since 1972 and havent bothered,

    Ugh ... grip, get one. Please. I am very sorry for what happened in the year I was born but I am really getting shitted off with the talk that LONDON (with many many many HUGE tragedies of it's own!) should make an effort while it hasn't been called for before.
    Dont Hate! Gyrate!

  17. #437
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Age
    24
    Posts
    9,017
    vCash
    1529
    Rep Power
    0
    Did the US do a minute of silence at the 2002 Olympics, which was 30 years later? Or is that not pertinent because it was the Winter Olympics and the attack happened at the Summer Olympics?

    What about the 1992 Summer Olympics in Spain? Was there a minute of silence there? Was there an outcry if there was not one?

  18. #438

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Looking for cupcakes
    Posts
    30,711
    vCash
    5550
    Rep Power
    14096
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    For fecks sake. The 7/7 attacks happened the day after London was awarded the Games so it is inextricably linked the 2012 Games in the minds of the UK public. They are directly related to this Olympic Games. That is the difference.

    With all the whining and throwing toys out of the pram about 1972, I hope the IOC never gives in to the minute of silence demands.
    I was just explaining why some people were upset. Without your explanation Fred, I didn't understand the general feeling in the UK about the whole thing. And speaking from what I heard not so much what I experienced. The way you explained it, makes more sense to me.

  19. #439
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    1,945
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Parsley Sage View Post
    They are moving it to the end of the stadium where the bell was during the opening ceremony. At the end of the games, they will take it apart and the countries each get their petal back.
    Thanks. I liked the bell. I can see a future for a bell in the Olympics.

  20. #440

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,366
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Did the US do a minute of silence at the 2002 Olympics, which was 30 years later?
    I think they didn't. They commemorated 9/11.

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •