Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

attending the Mad Hatter's Tea Party at ISU Headquarters!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    And I wouldn't have a problem with that as a one-off because it's Munich. But not as a permanent part of the opening ceremony.
    Fair enough. I can see why there were calls this year, since it is the 40th anniversary. However, I don't see the point of it at every single Olympics.
    Future FSUer to me before Gedevanishvili's SA 2010 SP - "Aunt Karen, what is she wearing?"

Beach Bum
    vCash
    I too think a 40th anniversary tribute would be appropriate just like I think the tribute to the London terrorist victims was appropriate. For different reasons- the show was about British events and culture and the attack is a huge event in recent london history. The 1972 attack was on an IOC member athletes so it is appropriate to honor them on significant anniversaries as a part of Olympic history. So if the ceremony included more than just British stuff (which it does at least in terms of the athletes parade) a short tribute would seem appropriate in any city. I wouldn't make it a permanent part of the ceremony. I am not outraged that it wasn't included though.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Missed it, is there a re-broadcast of the opening ceremony anywhere (I'm in the US)? I see that NBC has "highlight" videos, but I was looking to scan thru the full version.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JJH View Post
    There was a time of late 20th century pop and rock music with a random and pointless love? story. I wasn't able to watch uninterupted, so I might have missed the explanation.
    it was a narrative of an average brittish boy and girl to illustrate how drastically the country has changed since it last hosted the games in 1948.
    Did they have a number of promising teens who had been nominated by prominent sports figures light the petals that formed the cauldren?
    Yes

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elka_sk8 View Post
    Missed it, is there a re-broadcast of the opening ceremony anywhere (I'm in the US)? I see that NBC has "highlight" videos, but I was looking to scan thru the full version.....
    Keep an eye out on the website. For Beijing they made a full version available. If they don't have it, and you still want it, contact me later on.

Failing her snatch
    vCash
    Luuurved this from the BBC as the opening credits, not sure if you got it over there?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tm7N...&feature=share
    Dont Hate! Gyrate!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SHARPIE View Post
    Luuurved this from the BBC as the opening credits, not sure if you got it over there?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tm7N...&feature=share
    The uploader has not made this video available in your country.
    Sorry about that.

:
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

Failing her snatch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by suep1963 View Post
    The uploader has not made this video available in your country.
    Sorry about that.

:
    That's HATERY!!!!!!!!

Dont Hate! Gyrate!

vCash
    Question. What happens to the cauldron now? It was in the center of the stadium. I assume they moved it to outside the stadium after the ceremonies were over - right?

vCash
    Just had a chance to watch this, it was awesome! I loved Mary Poppins, NHS, deaf and hearing children's integrated choir, and the random giant creepy baby. Was surprised they didn't include Newton and Darwin though, only two of the greatest scientists to ever live! But they probably couldn't pack anything else in, it was so jam packed already.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    For fecks sake. The 7/7 attacks happened the day after London was awarded the Games so it is inextricably linked the 2012 Games in the minds of the UK public. They are directly related to this Olympic Games. That is the difference.

With all the whining and throwing toys out of the pram about 1972, I hope the IOC never gives in to the minute of silence demands.
    Wow, just wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    I too think a 40th anniversary tribute would be appropriate just like I think the tribute to the London terrorist victims was appropriate. For different reasons- the show was about British events and culture and the attack is a huge event in recent london history. The 1972 attack was on an IOC member athletes so it is appropriate to honor them on significant anniversaries as a part of Olympic history. So if the ceremony included more than just British stuff (which it does at least in terms of the athletes parade) a short tribute would seem appropriate in any city. I wouldn't make it a permanent part of the ceremony. I am not outraged that it wasn't included though.
    Agree with this excepting the last sentence. I heard about calls to include the moment of silence but the IOC said it would not be in the spirit of the Games. OK. But 07/07 moment of silence was in the spirit of the Games. Why not do both in the same time to honor both sets of victims in the same moment?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    Question. What happens to the cauldron now? It was in the center of the stadium. I assume they moved it to outside the stadium after the ceremonies were over - right?
    They are moving it to the end of the stadium where the bell was during the opening ceremony. At the end of the games, they will take it apart and the countries each get their petal back.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Agree with this excepting the last sentence. I heard about calls to include the moment of silence but the IOC said it would not be in the spirit of the Games. OK. But 07/07 moment of silence was in the spirit of the Games. Why not do both in the same time to honor both sets of victims in the same moment?
    It wasn't a moment of silence. It was a tribute and it wasn't announced as a commemoration of the victims of 7/7 so unless you were specifically told about it you wouldn't have known what it was referring to.

But then again you thinking that there was a moment of silence proves you didn't see it and are talking out of your arse as usual.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    What difference does it make--a moment of silence or a tribute? Two birds with one stone and done, a tribute to the 07/07 and Munich victims. But no, nothing about 40 years since Munich. And you are rather too happy about it.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Israeli athletes marched at the opening ceremony with black handkerchiefs in their pockets to mark the 40th anniversary of the 1972 Munich Olympic massacre.
    The Israeli TV mentioned the Munich massacre victims after the Israeli delegation entered the stadium, and went silent for 30 seconds in tribute to the 11 Munich massacre victims.

NBC Sports broadcaster Bob Costas called decision to not include tribute to victims of the 1972 Munich massacre of Israeli athletes insensitive.
    As the Israeli athletes marched, Costas mentioned that IOC President Jacques Rogge led a moment of silence for the late Israelis this week before about 100 people at the Athlete's Village. 'Still, for many, tonight with the world watching is the true time and place to remember those who were lost and how and why they died,' Costas said.
    Last edited by Eden; 07-28-2012 at 10:49 PM.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I've read that Costas said that, classy guy.

from Speedy Death

Prick Admin
    vCash
    What difference does it make--a moment of silence or a tribute?
    Which channel did you watch it on then?

Two birds with one stone and done, a tribute to the 07/07 and Munich victims. But no, nothing about 40 years since Munich. And you are rather too happy about it.
    Happy isn't the right word. The appropriate thing has been done. There was a tribute to the Israeli athletes at the 1972 Olympics. There was none in Montreal, Moscow, Los Angeles, Seoul, Barcelona, Atlanta, Sydney, Athens or Beijing. 7/7 happened the day after London was awarded the 2012 Olympics which is why it is linked with the Games this year. But if there were calls on Rio de Janeiro to commemorate 7/7 in their opening ceremony then that wouldn't be appropriate either.

It's difficult to say "no" to grieving widows and relatives. But sometimes it has to be said.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I am glad that Obama, HRC and heads of state of Canada, Germany and others are among those who made recent requests to the IOC to honor the 40th anniversary of the event.

I am also glad Costas did what he did. IOW, I am glad there are people who feel differently from you, allezfred.

from Speedy Death

Prick Admin
    vCash
    I am glad that Obama, HRC and heads of state of Canada, Germany and others are among those who made recent requests to the IOC to honor the 40th anniversary of the event.

I am also glad Costas did what he did. IOW, I am glad there are people who feel differently from you, allezfred.
    It's easy to ask for something you know isn't possible to placate a small vociferous group who are lobbying you.

In any case, you didn't see the tribute to the 7/7 victims because NBC showed an interview with Michael Phelps instead. So Bob Costas wanted to observe a minute of silence for one event, but edited out another. I call hypocrite.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    "Small vociferous group", who is that?

from Speedy Death

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast