Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223
    Failing her snatch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post

What about the 1992 Summer Olympics in Spain? Was there a minute of silence there? Was there an outcry if there was not one?
    NO and there wasnt cos there wasnt the internet and twatface people trying to make us look like arseholes and pretending we dont care about Munich.

Munich was horrific.

Atlanta was horrific.

9/11 was horrific.

Bali Bombings ......... yeah horrific

7/7 in London, day after the Olympics were given to the city - Horrific again, but relevant.

But then again I dont even think that was the case in the 'Abide With Me' bit ? (I was on the phone)
    Dont Hate! Gyrate!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post
    The segment which NBC cut was actually announced in the stadium as a "tribute & moment of rembrance for all those who are no longer with us" - and then the BBC announcer went on to talk about 7/7, as it's the event most pertinent to us as a country, but the tribute itself encompassed more than 7/7. For those who wanted a moment to remember the Israeli athletes it would have served perfectly, had NBC not been so crass as to cut it.
    The Israeli athletes were not among those "who are no longer with us" tribute, so I doubt that it would have served the purpose.
    OTOH, if they would have been included, IMO it would have been enough.
    IMO, the Israeli victims are not that important to IOC for the following reason: politics.
    It is easier to refuse honoring the Israeli victims, rather than to anger the Arab countries. Now, if the victims were from any other religion or country, the decision would have been a different one.

Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Did the US do a minute of silence at the 2002 Olympics, which was 30 years later? Or is that not pertinent because it was the Winter Olympics and the attack happened at the Summer Olympics?

What about the 1992 Summer Olympics in Spain? Was there a minute of silence there? Was there an outcry if there was not one?
    Munich victims' families did ask IOC for the moment of silence since the 1976 Olympics, and were refused time after time.

Ankie Spitzer the widow of one of the 11 Israeli athletes killed in a terrorist attack said in her interview to the Guardian last month about a minute's silence:
    "Just do it once, and I'll be gone. I just want to hear it," she says at her home in Ramat Hasharon, near Tel Aviv. "If they had granted a minute's silence, they would have got rid of us by now. But every four years we come back. We are a pain in the neck for them."

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    It was the IOC's Jacque Rogge who refused to do a 40th anniversary Munich commemoration by saying:
    “the opening ceremony is an atmosphere that is not fit to remember such a tragic incident.
    It is that statement, combined with the fact that a tragic incident was honored after all, that created the attention. I have not seen anyone blaming the British organizers, SHARPIE. The IOC and their continual refusal to honor Munich are the issue.

I've read that requests to commemorate Munich have been sent to the IOC before, as early as 1973 and either have been ignored or denied. It is not the host country but the IOC that handled this.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 07-29-2012 at 12:43 AM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SHARPIE View Post
    NO and there wasnt cos there wasnt the internet and twatface people trying to make us look like arseholes and pretending we dont care about Munich.
    The outrage is directed towards the IOC, not the people of London. It's unfortunate that the the London Olympic Opening Ceremony is being singled out like this, but IMO nobody is looking at London as the arseholes. Jacques Rogge yes, but the London Olympic committee and the people of London, no.

vCash
    I noticed the Israel flagbearer walked in with the flag dipped. So the athletes at least did something.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    The outrage is directed towards the IOC, not the people of London. It's unfortunate that the the London Olympic Opening Ceremony is being singled out like this, but IMO nobody is looking at London as the arseholes. Jacques Rogge yes, but the London Olympic committee and the people of London, no.
    Exactly. I don't think that London is singled out. The requests came to the IOC before but had been stepped up by world leaders, again to the IOC, due to it being the 40th anniversary this year.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Brian Williams and Lisa Laflamme on CTV's broadcast called out the IOC over not having a moment of silence as well.

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/cen...230500973.html
    I'm not spoiled...I deserve all my stuff.

vCash
    ^
    Thanks for posting about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I noticed the Israel flagbearer walked in with the flag dipped. So the athletes at least did something.
    Remembrance was and is very important in Israel.
    Before going to Olympic games (since 1976) every Israeli athlet is participating in a special ceremony in Wingate Institute to commemorate the memory of Munich massacre victims.
    Actually all the Israeli Olympic medalists so far, dedicated their medals to the victims.

vCash
    Somehow, I don't think NBC is going to change it's mind about airing the opening ceremony in prime time and tape delayed...

Olympic viewing: NBC sets opening ceremony record

NBC Universal also earned a measure of redemption from critics. The company, which began streaming all of the Olympics competition online live Saturday, was blistered on Twitter on Friday by people who wondered why the opening ceremony wasn't shown live (it was aired on NBC on tape delay, because London's time zone is five hours ahead of the eastern United States). But four years ago in Beijing, NBC learned such complaints only increased buzz and made people more interested in watching it on TV in prime time.
    "The audience number for the London opening ceremony is a great early sign that our strategy of driving people to watch NBC in prime time is working," said Mark Lazarus, chairman of the NBC Sports Group.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skategal View Post
    Brian Williams and Lisa Laflamme on CTV's broadcast called out the IOC over not having a moment of silence as well.

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/cen...230500973.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    ^
    Thanks for posting about it.

Remembrance was and is very important in Israel.
    Before going to Olympic games (since 1976) every Israeli athlet is participating in a special ceremony in Wingate Institute to commemorate the memory of Munich massacre victims.
    Actually all the Israeli Olympic medalists so far, dedicated their medals to the victims.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eden View Post
    The Israeli athletes were not among those "who are no longer with us" tribute, so I doubt that it would have served the purpose.
    OTOH, if they would have been included, IMO it would have been enough.
    IMO, the Israeli victims are not that important to IOC for the following reason: politics.
    It is easier to refuse honoring the Israeli victims, rather than to anger the Arab countries. Now, if the victims were from any other religion or country, the decision would have been a different one.

Munich victims' families did ask IOC for the moment of silence since the 1976 Olympics, and were refused time after time.

Ankie Spitzer the widow of one of the 11 Israeli athletes killed in a terrorist attack said in her interview to the Guardian last month about a minute's silence:
    I think what Eden said here is the bottom line. Sadly, Jewish/Israeli lives are expendable/do not matter to some, and IMHO, it's a case of political correctness gone amuck, not wanting to offend the Arab countries.

Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    It was the IOC's Jacques Rogge who refused to do a 40th anniversary Munich commemoration by saying:

It is that statement, combined with the fact that a tragic incident was honored after all, that created the attention. I have not seen anyone blaming the British organizers, SHARPIE. The IOC and their continual refusal to honor Munich are the issue.

I've read that requests to commemorate Munich have been sent to the IOC before, as early as 1973 and either have been ignored or denied. It is not the host country but the IOC that handled this.
    I don't see anyone blaming the people of London. The IOC, absolutely!

I remember the controversy about the World Trade Center flag ceremony @ the SLC Olympics. There were people who protested that. I personally had no problem at all with that ceremony taking place. It was just a few months after 9/11, the US was the host country, the victims were multinational, etc. In Vancouver, the Georgian luger was remembered during the opening ceremony. By all means the victims of the attack the day after London was awarded the games should be remembered! However, 40 years after a horrible massacre of athletes, should never be forgotten, and it is disgraceful that the request has been repeatedly ignored. I see this as a double standard. Kudos to Bob Costas (Brian Williams and Lisa LaFlamme) for standing up to the IOC!

vCash
    Arabs' media protest Israel's participation in Olympics.

vCash
    These daysd with all the internet chatter, it gets people even more excited and that works in NBC's favour. Peolpe want to see what the rest of us are going on about and with things being geoblocked what other chances do they have?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    So Bob Costas wanted to observe a minute of silence for one event, but edited out another. I call hypocrite.
    Since when is it his decision as to what gets shown on the broadcast and what doesn't? Last time I knew, he is a host only, not one of the producers of the broadcast.

vCash
    Absolutely. No one is blaming London. It is all on the shoulders of the IOC. It is not the decision of the host country because I believe if it was a moment of silence would probably always be observed. Stupid IOC. What does it hurt before it even begins to just have that moment no one would mind and it would mean a lot, but nooo sir wouldn't wanna do that.

Failing her snatch
    vCash
    This board has been running 13 years and I dont ever recall such over this so excuse me for being touchy for my home not going for it.
    Dont Hate! Gyrate!

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223