Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast
    Tranquillo
    vCash
    I would have traded the whole internet thing for more of the rural part at the beginning. I thought the Hobbit set was gorgeous and charming and wish they'd made more of it. They could have used the 40 years of British music from the internet section for the parade of nations and just skipped most of the boy meets girl and has a party stuff.

But overall I enjoyed it and always appreciate all the effort and endless hours that the organizers and volunteers spend on the ceremony. I particularly liked having some of the people who built the stadium there to greet the torch - a nice and original touch.

I didn't mind the kids, but I would have preferred if they ran around the arena with the torch and then met up with the mentors and the mentors lit the petals.

Loved the flying nannies and the whole children's literature segment.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Failing her snatch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Michalle View Post
    I get why it was included - but it went on forever and felt like a commercial for at least the first 40% of it.
    Right - O.

Anyway, I luuurved the opening credits from the BBC and they are on You Tube so wheeee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tm7N...&feature=share
    Dont Hate! Gyrate!

Caulkhead forever
    vCash
    I found it really weird that the green and pleasant land was set up so elaborately and then they'd barely started before they spent what became a very tedious amount of time clearing it all away! Maybe it was intended more to give the audience in the stadium something to look at pre-show? When they released all the information about that part a while back there was a lot of reaction against portraying Britain as some nostalgic idyll, which presumably is what they were aiming for in order to spring the surprise, but it's like instead they were desperate to rush that idea out of the way and introduced it only to debunk it. Even just another five minutes would've made a big difference, both in showing it off in its own right and in making it less odd and jarring that you barely got a look at it before it was gone!

Ooh, the BBC have put up that opening film I so loved

Also, the cycling doves were very beautiful, so I really wish they hadn't spoiled that by including it in the clips released beforehand

ETA: Cross-posted due to spending far too much time trying to express myself clearly, stupid sleep-deprivation right at the start of the fortnight
    I am too long away from water;
    I have a need of water near.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    I would have traded the whole internet thing for more of the rural part at the beginning. I thought the Hobbit set was gorgeous and charming and wish they'd made more of it. They could have used the 40 years of British music from the internet section for the parade of nations and just skipped most of the boy meets girl and has a party stuff.
    I would have liked a bit more of the rural (wuzrobbed of sheep) and more cycling cool stuff instead of "boy meets girl". Loved the music through the years and the funky costumes, but the storyline was and I know they chacked a bunch of cyclers who had worked very hard and suddenly weren't in the opening ceremony--if I had a choice, I'd rather see more of a sport angle than love story. (Although that happens in the Olympic Village!! )

Loved, loved the building of the rings, the kid lit stuff--loved the villians! The Queen parachuting in, Beckham's glowing boat and the fireworks!
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
    Ooh, the BBC have put up that opening film I so loved
    I absolutely loved that opening . Sadly that video is geoblocked here.

The music of the ceremony was really amazing, I hope they will publish a cd.

Quote Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
    Also, the cycling doves were very beautiful, so I really wish they hadn't spoiled that by including it in the clips released beforehand
    I like that last ceremonies are avoiding real doves. Since Seoul unfortunate cauldron roasting I prefer a free of doves Olympics I agree, cycling doves were quite cool, like the fire rings and the original cauldron.
    Zorry my english, I´m a verrrrrry rude spaÑish

vCash
    Didn't like the love story either. The music was nice, but the storyline/dancing was forgettable. The NHS part was puzzling... why would the Brits be excited about universal healthcare?
    Loved the beginning/industrial revolution theme. Forging of the Rings was epic & the cauldron was beautiful.

vCash
    Oh--and Mr. Bean! How could I forget Mr. Bean?
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

Failing her snatch
    vCash
    I dont get how Mr Bean is so universally popular, I always hated that sketch, reminds me of a bloke with ADHD or something. I tolerated him last night as he didnt totally cock up 'Chariots Of Fire'
    Dont Hate! Gyrate!

vCash
    I think it's the eyebrows

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SHARPIE View Post
    I dont get how Mr Bean is so universally popular, I always hated that sketch, reminds me of a bloke with ADHD or something. I tolerated him last night as he didnt totally cock up 'Chariots Of Fire'
    I find him tiresome.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    They couldn't really. The cauldron was an infinitely more complicated version of their one that failed.
    Yes, I noticed that London pretty much copied Vancouver on that...although the London one actually worked the first time...

As for the ceremonies....liked Bond and Bean and the cauldron lighting. The shire was beautiful too. Thought the internet and dance thing and the NHS was dull though...

Was at CTV that they kept chacking some of the countries during the Parade of Nations. So not necessary.....BOO!!
    I'm not spoiled...I deserve all my stuff.

vCash
    Watched it live on CTV in Canada and loved it. Good job London!

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Been meaning to mention this since last night and kept getting sidetracked. Anyway...

I think my favourite outfits were the Kiwis. The silver fern and stars on that black really looked sharp IMO. W/all of the National Dress of the respective African/certain Middle Eastern countries a very close second. The beadwork and embroidery on the clothing of the female member of the Afghan team wearing their National/Ceremonial Dress had me drooling. Gorgeous!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzy View Post
    The NHS part was puzzling... why would the Brits be excited about universal healthcare?
    Because it's universal and doesn't allow people to die because they can't afford treatment?

(And yes, British people do feel very proud of the NHS)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Because it's universal and doesn't allow people to die because they can't afford treatment?

(And yes, British people do feel very proud of the NHS)
    Univ. healthcare is nice ... but its Europe in the 21st century. I was wondering whether to expect a tribute to sewerage next.

vCash
    I prefer tidy and unified to 'messy melting pot' so the London opening cerem was, to me, a huge disappointment, especially after the dignified perfection of Beijing 2012. I don't understand all of the arse-kissing of Danny Boyle. Horrendous smokestacks, incessant drumming, salute to children's nightmares (???), a bunch of fat nurses, street punks in love...what the heck? And what was up with that ugly bunch of copper sticks forming a cauldron? (Is it visible now? Where can one see this in London throughout the games?)

And what happened to athletes marching into the stadium in straight lines, with dignity? Now they march whichever way they want, waving at the crowd and taking photos. This sort of thing used to be reserved for the more casual Closing Ceremonies.

Only things that I liked about the London Opening Cerem:

* the Queen and James Bond
    * Mr. Bean's dream about 'Chariots of Fire'

One of the poorest Opening Cerems of all time. Beijing did it right. I pray that the Russians can restore order, discipline, synchronized mass-movements and dignity in 2014.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    I pray that the Russians can restore order, discipline, synchronized mass-movements and dignity in 2014.
    Obviously GB should have taken a page from the Arirang Games.

vCash
    Sochi2014 and S.Korea2018 should have synchronized movements and sharpness. Rio2016 will be 'freeform' BUT if it mimics the Carnival Samba Schools, that's OK. London was just....messy 'blah'...smokestacks? Sick children in beds with fat nurses? A bunch of people dancing in time, dressed as 'fish and chips' would have been better.

Where were The Royal Ballet, English Natl Ballet and & other ballet troupes from the many great classical companies in the UK? Imagine what a gorgeous opening dance Christopher Wheeldon (top ballet chor'er from the UK) could have choreographed!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    You say you like "dignified perfection" and yet these were your favourite moments from the ceremony?

Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post

Only things that I liked about the London Opening Cerem:

* the Queen and James Bond
    * Mr. Bean's dream about 'Chariots of Fire'
    You really are a weird bird. Not that we didn't know that already.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    The music from the opening ceremony is available on iTunes for anyone interested.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Page 30 of 32 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 LastLast