View Poll Results: Who is your Pairs Champion Survivor winner?

Voters
210. You may not vote on this poll
  • Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze

100 47.62%
  • Shen & Zhao

110 52.38%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    I really like both teams but B&S do it for me more. They were just so classic and refined.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    A team where the guy has to leap off his feet to do a throw, has such mediocre footwork on the lifts that they barely cover the ice surface, can barely spin, and whose ice coverage got worse towards the end of their career winning this poll.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by casken View Post
    A team where the guy has to leap off his feet to do a throw, has such mediocre footwork on the lifts that they barely cover the ice surface, can barely spin, and whose ice coverage got worse towards the end of their career winning this poll.
    I don't see any teams with a guy like that still left.

vCash
    ROTFL at Shen & Zhou winning this poll. Truly one of the most overrated skaters on this forum.

vCash
    For me , it's easy,Shen/Zhao are better competitors, B/S are better skaters. Since this poll is about champions, I went with S/Z. They are not better skaters than B/S or even S/S and T/M but I think they're great champions, probably the most determined competitors across all disciplines.

vCash
    Speaking of determination...
    Elena overcame a serious head injury and was a very strong person to comeback to competition. That said, it doesn't take away from S&Z cause they surely were awesome competitors but B&S also had to overcome lots of difficulties.
    Last edited by DaiKozOda; 07-29-2012 at 12:07 AM. Reason: spelling

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DaiKozOda View Post
    Speaking of determination...
    Elena overcame a serious head injury and was a very strong person to comeback to competition. That said, it doesn't take away from S&Z cause they surely were awesome competitors but B&S also had to overcome lots of difficulties.
    I knew about that. That must have been really scary for her.

vCash
    Oh, such uninteresting pairs left. no sense to vote...

vCash
    B/S had amazing technique and presentation, but I've never felt excited or emotionally moved by their skating. I voted S/Z.

vCash
    S/Z has set an extraordinary milestone for the sport. Their improvement over long and enduring career was breath-taking to have witnessed, and their OGM in Vancouver was certainly the zenith and well-deserved award for it.

vCash
    With everyone saying S/S took advantage of being good when there were no decent competitors to beat so it was easy for them to win; the same could be said for S/Z's Olympic win. Not only did they come back when the toughest competition was a 2009 World's podium of Z/Z, K/S and S/S but it was one of the worst seasons that S/S could have had for a myriad of reasons. For that B/S have it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    With everyone saying S/S took advantage of being good when there were no decent competitors to beat so it was easy for them to win; the same could be said for S/Z's Olympic win. Not only did they come back when the toughest competition was a 2009 World's podium of Z/Z, K/S and S/S but it was one of the worst seasons that S/S could have had for a myriad of reasons. For that B/S have it.
    The same can be said about B/S. They had quite a hard time with S/P who really weren't the most impressive of opponents. Really, all this measuring of opposition is kind of pointless and one should probably discuss the pairs on their own merits. For me B/S had better lines, better programmes and better skating skills so despite the wow elements S/Z can bring to the table B/S are way more memorable as a team and they offered great programmes that I love to rewatch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzy View Post
    The same can be said about B/S. They had quite a hard time with S/P who really weren't the most impressive of opponents. Really, all this measuring of opposition is kind of pointless and one should probably discuss the pairs on their own merits. For me B/S had better lines, better programmes and better skating skills so despite the wow elements S/Z can bring to the table B/S are way more memorable as a team and they offered great programmes that I love to rewatch.
    Especially if you are going to rubbish the skills of S&P and B&S and yet S&Z couldn't beat either team in the big events despite being the more established couple who were skating together for longer than either B&S and S&P. Granted S&Z were nowhere near the skater they would eventually become in terms of presentation, but B&S had them soundly beaten while they competed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Especially if you are going to rubbish the skills of S&P and B&S and yet S&Z couldn't beat either team in the big events despite being the more established couple who were skating together for longer than either B&S and S&P. Granted S&Z were nowhere near the skater they would eventually become in terms of presentation, but B&S had them soundly beaten while they competed.
    S/Z were hardly an established pair in the traditional sense; they had skated together longer, but China was a pairs non-entity when they broke through, and they had to fight to be recognized and marked as contenders. And yes, they were quite rough around the edges back then. I liked them better before they were given an artistic makeover (they became bland to me eventually), but I don't think you can judge them based on the first half of their senior career. Which brings me to my actual point: different skaters peak at different times, and the whole "but their competition wasn't that strong/at their best" can be used against just about anyone. It can't all be The Battle of the Brians or Plush and Yags or Kim vs. Asada (and even Mao wasn't at her best then).

That said, I voted for B/S, because I feel that B/S at their best > S/Z at their best. Of course, both teams had obvious strengths, overcame a lot of obstacles and had some fantastic achievements.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12