Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Suggestions for mouth sore / Dental pain

On Monday I had a root canal. There was some question about which tooth was infected but the endodontist assured me he was confident he fixed the right tooth. The tooth pain hasn't been bad and an occasional ibuprofen seems to deal with it. I'm a little anxious as I keep having referred pain in teeth that are nowhere near the bad tooth, but I know that can happen so I'm not too worried.

My immediate problem is a mouth sore/canker that has cropped up. When the endodontist did the procedure he fastened a rubber/plastic shield to my lips and jaw. The place where it was fastened to my lip has developed a painful sore like a canker or cold sore. Usually canker sores heal pretty quickly for me but this one just sits there being sore.

I know some people here have problems with mouth sores and I would appreciate some suggestions on methods of helping and healing mouth sores.
    Last edited by A.H.Black; 07-27-2012 at 05:39 AM.

vCash
    For canker sores, salt helps. (q tip in some warm water, and then rolled in salt.)

Though, I love using bee propolis tincture for cankers as well, and actually find it heals a lot faster. The tincture is SUCH a keeper for my first aid kit...it's good for so many things. I buy mine from a local honey stand at our public produce market, but I'm sure it can be purchased at a health/vitamin/whole foods store.

vCash
    Kanka Antiseptic Liquid for Mouth, Canker and Denture Sores is available on the counter in pharmacies and right now, is your best friend.

vCash
    Thanks for the suggestions. Salt water does help. An online idea was a baking soda paste - that hurt like crazy but probably helped clear out some of the bacteria. The sore does feel a bit better today.

vCash
    Yeah, I've used baking soda for all my mouth sores and it hurts at first but really helps neutralize the acid/whatever makes it hurt so it's less painful afterwards. And if you rinse your mouth out, it helps keep it clean.

Hope it heals soon! Sores are beyond awful.

vCash
    I used to to get cankasores all the time. I now use Listerine everyday and I hardly get any cankasores anymore. When I do get one, I throw out my toothbrush, even if it is only a week old and use Listerine a few more times a day until it is gone, then throw out my toothbrush again.

vCash
    Vitamin E oil helps a lot. Just rub it on the sore.

vCash
    I sympathize. I've had one on the inside of my lower lip for over a week that I attribute to the number of fresh tomatoes I've been eating lately. It's finally healing, but I'll remember these hints for next time. If the tomatoes really are the culprit, they're worth it!

vCash
    Avoid abrasive and acidic foods unti it is gone.

Like, lemons, vinegar, potato chips, anything that might irritate the sore.

I know from first hand experience. Good luck!!

vCash
    A one part water and one part hydrogen peroxide rinse is also pretty effective.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pilgrimsoul View Post
    A one part water and one part hydrogen peroxide rinse is also pretty effective.
    I read about that one, but it said to follow it up with milk of magnesia and I didn't have any. It seems to be almost healed today so all is good. It took about a week which is slow for cankers for me, but faster than the 10-14 days most med sites talked about. Then again, I'm not sure it was a true canker.

vCash
    Kiwi fruit is supposed to help with mouth sores. Salt water rinses are also traditional and work well. If it gets hot, swollen or really painful, a call to the surgeon might be in order.

vCash
    AHB, are you allergic to latex? Might have been that the shield was made of latex, and if you're allergic or sensitive to latex that might have led to the sore (at least partly--I can imagine that the pressure on your tissues also didn't help!). Hope the pain and sore are all gone soon!
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    AHB, are you allergic to latex? Might have been that the shield was made of latex, and if you're allergic or sensitive to latex that might have led to the sore (at least partly--I can imagine that the pressure on your tissues also didn't help!). Hope the pain and sore are all gone soon!
    I thought of that. When my dad was very old he had a harder time with bandages than the wounds they covered. I haven't had anything like that - at least not yet. I'm more thinking it could have been a reaction from the damage the clipping did and a reaction to antibiotics (which always throw me for a loop these days)

I'm good to go now. I learned a lot about how to deal with this next time.

vCash
    You can ask your dentist for a prescription for Peridex. It is the oral antiseptic equivalent of Betadine. Rinse with warm salt water. Has the root canal been finished? As someone who has had about 20 root canals, I can warn you: Don't use any sort of topical anesthetic, like Anbesol, if it is not finished. If the root is still temporarily covered, the topical anesthetic might get into the root area. If that happens, it hurts like you wouldn't believe. I've gotten canker sores like you describe. Is it in the corner of your mouth/lips? If so, they take the longest to heal, because it's always moving. It will feel better, but I feel your pain! (((A.H.Black)))

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    You can ask your dentist for a prescription for Peridex. It is the oral antiseptic equivalent of Betadine. Rinse with warm salt water. Has the root canal been finished? As someone who has had about 20 root canals, I can warn you: Don't use any sort of topical anesthetic, like Anbesol, if it is not finished. If the root is still temporarily covered, the topical anesthetic might get into the root area. If that happens, it hurts like you wouldn't believe. I've gotten canker sores like you describe. Is it in the corner of your mouth/lips? If so, they take the longest to heal, because it's always moving. It will feel better, but I feel your pain! (((A.H.Black)))
    Sounds like you have had a good deal of experience. My root canal is done. I do have to go at some point and have the tooth crowned, but it is definitely filled. Isn't it interesting how canker sores can be caused by dental work? I have not experienced this before - then again, I haven't had the dentist clip things to my jaw and lips before. This one was in the middle of my bottom lip - just where my tongue hits when I talk. I hope you never have to have another root canal. Their not the end of the world but they aren't fun either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    Sounds like you have had a good deal of experience. My root canal is done. I do have to go at some point and have the tooth crowned, but it is definitely filled. Isn't it interesting how canker sores can be caused by dental work? I have not experienced this before - then again, I haven't had the dentist clip things to my jaw and lips before. This one was in the middle of my bottom lip - just where my tongue hits when I talk. I hope you never have to have another root canal. Their not the end of the world but they aren't fun either.
    I only have one vital tooth left, so that would be it. The rest have either had root canals or have been replaced with implants. I ruined my teeth from my eating disorder. Root canals are certainly not fun. But, Implants - ! I needed bone grafts in three areas. And it's on going. One of my upper implants needed a sinus lift. They had to perforate the sinus. I get sinus pain, from pressure, frequently, and there's not much that helps with that. So, I really do feel for you.

Just an FYI, I've had that rubber dam a few times. They usually just clip it around the tooth and have a wire frame that keeps it stretched open. I've never had one clipped to my lip or jaw. But, I've had sores from my lips cracking from having my mouth stretched open so far, for so long. I think that they are just caused because you get a little cut or scratch in your mouth and normal mouth bacteria gets in it, also it is always wet, so it doesn't really scab over. And you're eating/drinking/ talking, so it is constantly being irritated.

vCash
    Would heat help your sinus? I know everyone recommends ice these days, but when I have sinus pain, a hot shower works wonders. Maybe steaming would help?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    Would heat help your sinus? I know everyone recommends ice these days, but when I have sinus pain, a hot shower works wonders. Maybe steaming would help?
    Good idea, I'll try that. Thanks!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I ruined my teeth from my eating disorder.
    I'm so sorry to hear this, cruisin, but you highlight a bit of info that is rarely discussed and not widely known about eating disorders. They can really, REALLY ruin your teeth if your mode of avoiding taking in calories is via vomiting several times a day. More people need to be aware of this.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast