Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anemone View Post
    One thing CBC used to do, and I am missing on CTV, is the Canadian Trail. That bit in the broadcast where they used to post pics of every Canadian athlete/team that day and how they did. I wish CTV would do something like that. Maybe they are and I just keep missing it, but I don't think I have.
    I am appreciating all the channels they have involved and the amount of coverage we are getting. Just wish I could stay home from work & see it live.
    THIS!! I was just thinking this last night. How lovely it was on the CBC that they always did a rundown of how everyone on the team did. I've been missing that big time.

Quote Originally Posted by Norlite View Post
    Just announced, CBC wins broadcast rights to 2014 and 2016 Olys.
    Very good news!! Trade offs of course. For instance, I actually like Brian Williams because while he can get a bit much at times, he doesn't take himself so seriously. He actually can and has made fun of himself. Remember the old Air Farce days? Can anyone say that about Rod Black?

Another difference? Brian Williams *knows* what he's talking about. He's been to how many Olympics? Yet, he always prepares for every Games like it's his first. Rod OTOH...I'm sure he does his prep work, but he never sounds like it. Also, I've always had this feeling about Rod that he really thinks he's that funny and he's just not.

While I'm thrilled the CBC got the coverage rights back, it also means the pompous Scott Russell and now overly wordy Ron McLean. Ron used to be so good, but now...It's like he wants to prove he's a smart guy and instead comes off as trying too hard and it's turning people off.

In fact, I know someone who has a Ron McLean HNIC drinking game and the majority of it is based on when and how many quotes Ron can get in there. She said one weekend they changed it to M&M's and they ran out when they were using a huge bag from the Bulk Barn to boot!!

So while there's good and bad about this, IMO there's more good in the quality of the coverage. IMO.

vCash
    Please explain how the expertise of Brenda Irving is so much greater than that of Rod Black that people are willing to see FOURTEEN fewer male skaters.

INTJ
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norlite View Post
    Just announced, CBC wins broadcast rights to 2014 and 2016 Olys.
    Yay!

Overall, CBC's coverage is WAY better that the dreck that is CTV's coverage.
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." -- Samuel Beckett

vCash
    They're doing ok on ctv, but cbc is better...

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    Brian Williams *knows* what he's talking about. He's been to how many Olympics? Yet, he always prepares for every Games like it's his first.
    And he isn't afraid to let the viewers know it. He's only outdone for the gold medal in pompous windbaggery by Bob Costas over on NBC.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    And he isn't afraid to let the viewers know it. He's only outdone for the gold medal in pompous windbaggery by Bob Costas over on NBC.
    At least this Oly he's not telling us what time it is in different time zones!!

vCash
    I don't get people calling Brian Williams pompous as I've never gotten that vibe from him.

Bob Costas, oh Hell yeah. Never Brian.

Watch me move
    vCash
    I don't get people calling Brian Williams pompous as I've never gotten that vibe from him.

Bob Costas, oh Hell yeah. Never Brian.
    Any time he starts leaning on his elbow, and/or starts leaning over the desk to say something like "This is important", he's pompous. Or when he feels compelled to share his opinion on something with us at length. If he would just introduce the events and then STFU I would like his anchoring a lot more.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    I am missing Steve Armitage! Yeah for CBC!!

For CTV: don't like Blythe. Kyle started out slightly annoying with his "niiiiiiice" and slang talk, but he got much better. The rowing announcers are good and make it exciting. I do like Catarina leMay Doan as the morning host.

vCash
    Brian Williams is arrogant because he leans forward before he says something?

Excuse me while I go over in the corner to laugh hysterically. Will have to agree to disagree on this one.

As for the jibe at Brenda Irving...I would rather have someone who knows her limitations *and* doesn't put her foot in her mouth as often as Rod does, because he truly doesn't know when not to say something, anytime!! Rod hit a brand new low yesterday during the Ladies Team Final in Gymnastics when he said about the US Team...

The US girls are juiced up tonight.
    My Mom looked at me, then back at the TV, then back at me and then..."He did NOT say *that*, did he? Really?"

vCash
    I'm just thrilled some one, anyone is gonna broadcast the Olympics in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Alixana View Post
    At least this Oly he's not telling us what time it is in different time zones!!
    That always makes me laugh. My dad and I always do our Brian and his 'telling time' imitations every Olys It's a tradition!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kylet3 View Post
    Still rather that than the shite that we are putting up with this time around. While figure skating in Canada is popular, it's still nowhere near as popular as hockey is, never will be either. If you talk to any casual sports fan on the street, and ask them what they would rather watch, a prelim Canada hockey game or the 14th place Short Ice Dance? I think the answer would be very obvious...

I'm not saying the coverage in 2006 was perfect, because it wasn't but I've had more good things to say about their coverage than I have bad, and that simply isn't the case this year. It also means no more Brian Williams!
    I wouldn't count on that. Didn't he switch networks from CBC to CTV partly because of covering the Olympics?

vCash
    He was let go from CBC

Eta: oh yeah, I was just reminded here at home that he was fired only after announcing he was leaving.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Brian Williams is arrogant because he leans forward before he says something?

Excuse me while I go over in the corner to laugh hysterically. Will have to agree to disagree on this one.
    Maybe you could try reading the entire sentence that I wrote before you go into that corner.
    I said it was when he leans forward *and* says "This is important" (or something equally vacuous) that he's pompous.

And BTW he was telling time zones tonight.....(although maybe he was cranky because he had to be on the air at 4 am-ish UK time).

vCash

As for the jibe at Brenda Irving...I would rather have someone who knows her limitations *and* doesn't put her foot in her mouth as often as Rod does, because he truly doesn't know when not to say something, anytime!! Rod hit a brand new low yesterday during the Ladies Team Final in Gymnastics when he said about the US Team...

My Mom looked at me, then back at the TV, then back at me and then..."He did NOT say *that*, did he? Really?"

Okay, no first, second and third groups of men as long as we get no comments about juice. Great.

Commentary is so friggin overrated.
    Last edited by manhn; 08-02-2012 at 08:12 AM.

Not summer :(
    vCash
    Which station will CBC cooperate with to show continuous coverage since Bold is being sold/dropped/whatever it is that is happening to it?
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    Yeah, I'm worried about the continuous coverage with cbc. I've always liked their coverage of the Olympics, but CTV has done great to have both sports channels in Canada with them, as well as OLN...it's nice to have a good variety. But CBC? Eek, with the summer olympics especially, you need help to get everything out there.

vCash
    I'd like to know how this deal went through. CBC and CTV submitted a joint bid originally that was declined by the IOC. It would have allowed us to be shown everything in full.

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    Dave Randorf on CTV just said that the Canadian women made the team final in gymnastics for the first time in a non boycotted games, even though there was no team final in 1984. Ugh I'm sick of everyone saying that!
    Sorry ill try to make this my last post on the topic.

vCash
    What exactly did Romania win in 1984 then? They won the team all around, and I think for most people that means the same thing even if it technically isn't.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast