Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    No... but I do know that if you get the right person on the other end of the phone, things can happen.
    Well fingers crossed, it's extremely unlikely because it's more of an IOC thing, but I have to wait for the guy to call me back. I doubt I'll be able to get my hands on it in full though.
    Kyle

vCash
    Some news on how CBC is preparing for the next two Games:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle4481556/

Kirstine Stewart, the CBC’s executive vice-president of English services, said the public broadcaster will seek partnerships with traditional and digital programmers, including Rogers Media and Bell Media, which made up the Canadian broadcast consortium for the last two Games. She also said the broadcaster has been talking to Yahoo and Google, and would likely speak with Netflix, Facebook and Apple Inc. about potential content partnerships.
    I was never concerned about online content, so whatever. We will see whether a TSN/Sportsnet/CBC lovefest can actually work. At the very least, I'm glad the CBC (and the media) are aware that some people actually want to see the sports in their entirety.

The Olympics’ return to CBC represents a challenge for the broadcaster, which by 2014 will have just one English-language and one French-language channel on which to broadcast the Games. (It expects to sell its Bold cable channel before then.) When it aired the 2008 Beijing Olympics, it licensed content to TSN. But with thousands of hours of content available, CBC will need to find more platforms to justify what it paid for the Games.

And from another article:

http://www.macon.com/2012/08/15/2138...big-shoes.html

The CBC will likely resurrect several old affiliations - they teamed with TSN in 2008 to provide coverage in Beijing and with sports cable network The Score in their ill-fated bid for the 2010 and 2012 Games - to make sure they cover as many bases as they can but it will take more than just a few partnerships to even come close to replicating the amount of access Canadians have enjoyed over the past two Olympic Games.
    And as for CBC's commentators who are just so brilliant and special that only showing only a skater or two will suffice for Canadians:

They'll also face the difficulty of having to match the talent level in broadcasters that the Bell-Rogers group had at their disposal to cover the wide range of events, especially in light of the announcement they made back in April that they planned significant personnel cuts as a response to a slash in government funding.

vCash
    Just a small update, after an extensive search and some digging around, I've got some small editing to do, but I've got the race in it's entirety plus the medal ceremonies and all interviews which means I'm done! No more searching, no more begging lol. I've got what I need and I'm good to go.

As for CBC, you're still not going to convince me that this move is a bad thing. Sure, the Torino coverage wasn't the greatest either but at least there was a focus on Canadian athletes and they still showed all Canadians who won medals live. I didn't have any issues with the CTV coverage in 2010 because it was at home, but this year, I stand by my statement that despite all the mediums, the coverage was atrocious. It got better towards the end, but the first two thirds of the games, I didn't know whether I was watching a Canadian network or NBC 2.0, the amount of over Michael Phelps and most American athletes was nauseating, if I wanted that, I would have watched the NBC coverage. There was a real neglect of Canadian athletes for far more prominent ones. I also won't miss Brian Williams and his pompous blowhole on my TV screen.

CBC before the latest round of ideological cuts was the leader of amateur sports coverage in Canada. They're the ones who brought our athletes to the forefront in the media in Canada. They did a fine job with their Beijing coverage, and I'm sure they'll be able to work up some kind parternership with RSN or TSN. They usually do. I'm not too particularly worried about it. I wish they could coax Terry Leibel out of retirement. She'd be great as a leader on CBC coverage. CTV proved this year that they may have quantity, but the quality was severely lacking.
    Kyle

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    We will see whether a TSN/Sportsnet/CBC lovefest can actually work.
    It has worked before (2002, 2004, 2006, 2008 to name a few...), so there's no reason to believe it won't work again.

vCash
    I'm all for covering Canadians, but it shouldn't come at the expense of the top athletes either. It just happens that the US swim team was especially dominant these Olympics, but they deserve attention and their medal ceremonies played as much as anyone. (CTV probably should have laid off on the Missy Franklin Canadian connection though.)

In any case, hopefully CBC doesn't disappoint come Sochi - especially since BBC is unlikely to be as good for an away Winter Games. Fingers crossed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kylet3 View Post
    As for CBC, you're still not going to convince me that this move is a bad thing. Sure, the Torino coverage wasn't the greatest either but at least there was a focus on Canadian athletes and they still showed all Canadians who won medals live.
    The CBC coverage was so poor that viewers were lost and ratings went down, causing CBC to have to double up on its advertising.

I couldn't figure out the schedule and ended up turning on the TV to see Buttle get his bronze medal before I'd seen the competition.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    It has worked before (2002, 2004, 2006, 2008 to name a few...), so there's no reason to believe it won't work again.
    It DID not work in 2006. And Sportsnet did not cover the Olys during this timeframe.

I couldn't figure out the schedule and ended up turning on the TV to see Buttle get his bronze medal before I'd seen the competition.
    Don't fret about that, Japanfan. That was all the CBC showed live, anyway. You didn't miss anyone else.

But the commentary of Jeffrey Buttle's LP was FANTASTIC!!!
    Last edited by manhn; 08-20-2012 at 05:03 PM.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910