Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    recovering Oly-holic
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danafan View Post
    Did CTV interview the Canadian women's gymnastics team? I wasn't watching at home and recorded CTV until 5 - since prelims were on sportsnet, which went off air at 5, I didn't realise that CTV was on until 6.
    I didn't see them. They might be on tape with Brian Williams tonight.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Not that I've seen so far Danafan and I can say I saw you...Sort of. I watch CTV Toronto since CTV Northern Ontario just plain sucks anymore and saw the piece they did for their 6pm News. You looked like you were all having a blast!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danafan View Post
    Did CTV interview the Canadian women's gymnastics team? I wasn't watching at home and recorded CTV until 5 - since prelims were on sportsnet, which went off air at 5, I didn't realise that CTV was on until 6.
    They definitely didn't during the daytime coverage. I was disappointed, I really wanted to see an interview with them.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    And although they said there was one coming, it never happened.

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    Bummer because Moors was tweeteing that she was going to be on CTV soon and included a photo of the studio...

vCash
    They were probably too busy creaming their pants over Michael Phelps and the USA team in general to fit in time for them Don't get me wrong, I love my American friends and such, but the American focus these games from CTV has been astounding. I've seen more focus on American athletes than I have Canadian athletes.
    Kyle

vCash
    On a trivial note, I am glad that CTV is using the theme song for the Vancouver. It may not be the best song in the world, but it brings back good memories.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    On a trivial note, I am glad that CTV is using the theme song for the Vancouver. It may not be the best song in the world, but it brings back good memories.

We were disappointed. .

It triggers a great memory of my time there which doesn't really have anything to do with this Olympics.

vCash
    OMG, CTV's bit on Alex Despartie where he's speaking as a child is adorable!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    Good memories maybe, but it is an earworm I am never going to get out of my head, except possibly to be replaced by the equally annoying McDonald's commercial music. I'm not sure the payoff is worth the price.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Good memories maybe, but it is an earworm I am never going to get out of my head, except possibly to be replaced by the equally annoying McDonald's commercial music. I'm not sure the payoff is worth the price.
    I thought the Mickey D's commercial was cool the first time I saw it, now I just want to everytime I see it.
    Kyle

vCash
    I am also enjoying Kyle Shewfelt's commentary. I don't find Rod Black quite as annoying as some others, but I think it is partly because so many years of skating coverage have given me practice in tuning him out.
    Not enthused or bothered by Joanne Malar. Kinda meh on Blythe Hartley as well, except for one thing - if she tells us the Chinese divers are known for their clean entries one more time, I think I am going to throw something at the tv. Only 3 events in and I am already tired of hearing that phrase.
    One thing CBC used to do, and I am missing on CTV, is the Canadian Trail. That bit in the broadcast where they used to post pics of every Canadian athlete/team that day and how they did. I wish CTV would do something like that. Maybe they are and I just keep missing it, but I don't think I have.
    I am appreciating all the channels they have involved and the amount of coverage we are getting. Just wish I could stay home from work & see it live.

vCash
    Just announced, CBC wins broadcast rights to 2014 and 2016 Olys.

vCash
    Well, it was nice to have complete coverage of figure skating for at least one Olympics. But I'm sure the oh-so important commentary will be so much more magical.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norlite View Post
    CTV's coverage has been abysmal this time around so this makes me happy!
    Kyle

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norlite View Post
    So happy to hear this!!!

vCash
    Yes, remember when the CBC showed men's hockey instead of figure skating in 2006? Remember when CBC showed a whole EIGHT men's free programs? Fantastic!
    Last edited by manhn; 08-01-2012 at 05:52 PM.

vCash
    Similar to Vancouver, most the lead commentators (TSN/CTV/Sportsnet) have poorly researched their assigned events, and the colour commentators sound too much like cheerleaders. In one rowing repechage, the commentator misidentified the Dutch crew as being from Italy the entire race. In another instance, a commentator talked about the 2012 Pan-American Games (it happened in 2011).

Other than Grand Slam/Masters ATP/Tier I WTA tennis, I don't think any of the Bell/Rogers stations covered any summer World Cup events in the months leading up to the Olympics - that was all CBC (who covered Trials, Diamond League, etc.).

I absolutely don't see the logic in having the commentators go into the Games practically cold turkey in experience in covering their events.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Yes, remember when the CBC showed men's hockey instead of figure skating in 2006? Remember when CBC showed a whole EIGHT men's free programs? Fantastic!
    Still rather that than the shite that we are putting up with this time around. While figure skating in Canada is popular, it's still nowhere near as popular as hockey is, never will be either. If you talk to any casual sports fan on the street, and ask them what they would rather watch, a prelim Canada hockey game or the 14th place Short Ice Dance? I think the answer would be very obvious...

I'm not saying the coverage in 2006 was perfect, because it wasn't but I've had more good things to say about their coverage than I have bad, and that simply isn't the case this year. It also means no more Brian Williams!
    Kyle

vCash
    I'm forced to watch this Olympics on CTV because there's no choice, but for background information, and what to expect, I've been going to CBC where they actually know something about it.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast