Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    It's a pretty stupid and patronising comment really. They're saying just because a country has a financial crisis that people in that society shouldn't confront racist and bigoted remarks.

Does explain America

vCash
    It's a pretty stupid and patronising comment really. They're saying just because a country has a financial crisis that people in that society shouldn't confront racist and bigoted remarks.

She's been to many international events, including a World Championships (athletics/track & field) with close to 200 countries in attendance. I think believing she would have been taught "a lesson" by going to the Olympics is naive.

As for free speech, to the best of my knowledge she hasn't been arrested for her remarks. She has been sanctioned by the Greek Olympic Committee. There are consequences to speaking what's on your mind. If an employee of a company made these kind of comments in a workplace, are some of you suggesting that instead of being dismissed that the employee would be sent on a business trip?

I couldn't agree more.

vCash
    Yup, well said allezfred.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercrush View Post
    Does explain America
    Really?
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash

She's been to many international events, including a World Championships (athletics/track & field) with close to 200 countries in attendance. I think believing she would have been taught "a lesson" by going to the Olympics is naive.

As for free speech, to the best of my knowledge she hasn't been arrested for her remarks. She has been sanctioned by the Greek Olympic Committee. There are consequences to speaking what's on your mind. If an employee of a company made these kind of comments in a workplace, are some of you suggesting that instead of being dismissed that the employee would be sent on a business trip?
    Word to all of this. Especially your first paragraph. And the comment is especially ridiculous because I hardly think the Greek Olympic Committe would be working on the economic crisis or engaging in labor negotiations if they weren't dealing with this.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Somehow that was not what I thought was being said. I bet while feeling righteous indignation for Greece, you don't find anything wrong with gingercrush's remark.

Quote Originally Posted by allezfred
    OK, perhaps I am being naive. Has she been to an Olympics?
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred
    Looks like you missed the posts where this was spelled out.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Somehow that was not what I thought was being said. I bet while feeling righteous indignation for Greece, you don't find anything wrong with gingercrush's remark.
    Well thank you very much for putting words into my mouth. You really are a f*cking twat (quite the equal of gingercrush) when you want to be aren't you?

OK, perhaps I am being naive. Has she been to an Olympics?
    As I explained to you before she has been to a World Championships which has pretty much exactly the same diversity of an Olympic Games in terms of ethnicity and nationality. If you think an Olympic Games can turn somebody who has been competing on the international stage for quite a while from a bigot into a non-bigot, then you are either incredibly naive or deluded. Or possibly both.

Looks like you missed the posts where this was spelled out.
    That's a pretty irrelevant point even for you.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    What is kind of "disturbing" in this whole situation is that some people here found the comments "not a big deal".Let's just say that they try to take advantage of the whole situation and use that girl for their political agenda.

The truth is that there is some indignation because of some immigrants committing a lot of crimes after the economical crisis had started and "xenophobia" has been used in the recent elections from certain parties as a way to boost their percentages.

If we start a discussion about all this it will take months but imo the same people that complain about the immigrants nowadays are those that gave them jobs without paying taxes,no medical insurance,rented them an one bedroom house for 20 people and so on.The root of the problem goes way deeper than a triple jumper thinking it's ok to have some twitter fun.

I had a talk with a couple of friends who were defending the girl yesterday,and are completely ignorant as far as sports are concerned.The arguments were about how having a country that "produced" the Olympics idea,has to parade first in the opening ceremony which is a big honour,yet its athletes fail to respect that same Olympic spirit.

It's more dangerous,as far as I'm concerned,to see young people thinking that everything is "fun" and "ok" and they can get away with virtually anything. Just because a country is facing a financial crisis it doesn't automatically mean that it should also be in "moral " recession.
    Should they ban her? I'm not sure,but I'm sure that once she's through the shock it will only be good for the girl.Sometimes you need to mature to become a real champion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12