Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Lubov Iliushechkina & Yannick Kocon have paired up & hope to represent France

Split off from the Russian news thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by quiqie View Post
    Here is the original article: http://www.ouest-france.fr/actu/actu...98624_actu.Htm

It says they skate in Bercy and it seems she is ready to sit out as much time as needed:
    Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    From the article (apparently sports.ru just used and translated material from French media) it seems pretty clear that they are going to represent France or at least want to represent France. They are training in France with a French coach. Since he probably kept French citizenship he should be eligible to skate for France again one year after his last competition for Italy. She still has to wait, though. Her last international competition for Russia was in the Grand Prix last year.
    As for her release, this of course might take longer especially since the Russian Federation president said earlier when it was first reported that she teamed up with Kocon a few months ago that he is not planning to release her right away.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    The article also mentions Nicolas Hejzlar (Czech rep.) and Méliné Habechian, who tried out with Kocon this year.

The quote from Lubov: "I wanted to go on the ice out of pleasure and not out of duty" tells it all.

We should see them at the Masters competition in October.

vCash
    Ilushechkina and Kocon are extremely unlikely to become a threat to the Russian teams so Piseev really could just release her. :/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Ilushechkina and Kocon are extremely unlikely to become a threat to the Russian teams so Piseev really could just release her. :/
    Well, probably not immediately, but if she managed to place with Maisuradze sixth at Europeans just when they were freshly out of Juniors a few years ago and Kocon managed to be sixth at Europeans twice, they shouldn't be 'completely useless'. I can't see them beating the Germans, or Volosozhar-Trankov, or Kawaguti-Smirnov, but if she becomes more consistent with her jumps, they could easily medal at the Europeans after the Olympics, when these three strongest pairs probably retire. I know that Lubov had a huge issue with the jumps the last few years, but from the interview Pavlova gave in April/May, I think the training environment wasn't very nice for her, and that can have a huge impact on jumps.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    Well, probably not immediately, but if she managed to place with Maisuradze sixth at Europeans just when they were freshly out of Juniors a few years ago and Kocon managed to be sixth at Europeans twice, they shouldn't be 'completely useless'. I can't see them beating the Germans, or Volosozhar-Trankov, or Kawaguti-Smirnov, but if she becomes more consistent with her jumps, they could easily medal at the Europeans after the Olympics, when these three strongest pairs probably retire. I know that Lubov had a huge issue with the jumps the last few years, but from the interview Pavlova gave in April/May, I think the training environment wasn't very nice for her, and that can have a huge impact on jumps.
    I agree with you, it sounds like her training environment and her coach was her Achille's heel and nothing more. She is young enough and so is he that they could do really well if the stars could align for them. I just think she had a bad season last year and just couldn't take it anymore. I hope they do well.

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    Ooo, France will now have 3 good pair teams. I'm not holding out much hope for James/Cipres to improve a lot, but Popova/Massot and now Iliushechkina/Kocon both have potential. Hopefully Lubov will get released sooner rather than later by the Russian Federation.

I agree with what's been said about her having a tough season and I am hopeful a more relaxed training environment would be better for her -at least for starters.

vCash
    We'll have to wait to see if she can get away with this. Hopefully they'll release her but she can also end like Morgan Matthews, Vanessa Crone or Julia Vlassov :S. A shame if that happens.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post
    We'll have to wait to see if she can get away with this. Hopefully they'll release her but she can also end like Morgan Matthews, Vanessa Crone or Julia Vlassov :S. A shame if that happens.
    Vanessa Crone is still looking for a partner and I'm hoping she finds one. She posted on FB there would be an announcement made this week-end. Am still about Vlassov and Hogner never getting a chance to compete, but am hoping you're prematurely sticking a fork in Vanessa's career.

vCash
    here is what I think:

Liubov is very upset not only with her previous coach but also with the Russian Fed for not doing enough for her when she was in her hell zone with Pavlova, by skating for France stubbornly, in a way she is giving a middle finger not only to Pavlova but to her Federation as well .

clearly she loves skating but previously she looked like she was burdened from her last partnership and coaching, poor Liubov

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    here is what I think:

Liubov is very upset not only with her previous coach but also with the Russian Fed for not doing enough for her when she was in her hell zone with Pavlova, by skating for France stubbornly, in a way she is giving a middle finger not only to Pavlova but to her Federation as well.
    How about: She found a partner whom she gets on well with and a training environment that works for her?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    How about: She found a partner whom she gets on well with and a training environment that works for her?

vCash
    The Pairs training environment in Paris is far from being ideal. Since Stanislav Leonovich left, the program took a big nose dive. JR Racle and the Francais Volants team is probably a more nurturing environment, but most French pairs end up wanting to leave Paris to improve their skills. Camps with Ingo in Germany or in Montreal can be costly and the French Fed won't financially support multiple pairs.
    Lubov and Yannick have to show that they can be the number 1 French pair if they want support.

vCash
    Anyhow, things worked out as she wanted I hope they have a good career ahead of them!

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    ...in a way she is giving a middle finger not only to Pavlova but to her Federation as well .
    Hopefully they don't view it as being given the "middle finger," as that may not bode well for a quick release.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    The Pairs training environment in Paris is far from being ideal. Since Stanislav Leonovich left, the program took a big nose dive. JR Racle and the Francais Volants team is probably a more nurturing environment, but most French pairs end up wanting to leave Paris to improve their skills. Camps with Ingo in Germany or in Montreal can be costly and the French Fed won't financially support multiple pairs.
    Lubov and Yannick have to show that they can be the number 1 French pair if they want support.
    I believe (correct me if I am wrong), at the time when Marina Anissina left Russia for France, France was not exactly any brilliant training environment for dancers. As far as I remember from one of her interviews, she was shocked by their working morale (or lack of it). She was describing it like if they all did it as a hobby and not an elite sport. I think she said in one interview that the French spent 15 minutes every morning kissing each other on cheek and asking how they are, instead of getting on with hard training. ) My point is, if you have a talented pair, where they get on with each other, reasonably good coach and nurturing environment, you can get somewhere even without support of French skating federation. And if they eventually become French pair number one, I am sure federation will start supporting them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    Hopefully they don't view it as being given the "middle finger," as that may not bode well for a quick release.
    They can't hold her longer than two years from the last time she competed for them last time internationally, is that correct?

vCash
    My point is, if you have a talented pair, where they get on with each other, reasonably good coach and nurturing environment, you can get somewhere even without support of French skating federation.
    Sure you can, but it would be that much easier with official support. When Bonheur and Canac teamed up, they were training at daytime public sessions since they were getting no funding at all. They ended up retiring (even if they looked very good for such a new pair) and I would think this lack of support played into it.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    They can't hold her longer than two years from the last time she competed for them last time internationally, is that correct?
    Yes and no. USFS had rules in place ~ 2006 that allowed them to hold skaters who had certain placements for four seasons, which is what the told Morgan Matthews they would do, even though they later released Zavozin in a shorter time.

According to Rule 109 paragraph 5, the ISU Council can grant an exception to the usual rules, which include the requirement to get federation release. However, the rule has been in effect since at least the Constitution before 2008, and I'm not sure there's ever been a case where an exception request has been filed.

The interesting thing is that if an exception is granted, the skater/team isn't part of either country's quota of spots. It's like the skater/pair is an invited guest of the ISU. If they win prize money, I wonder where it goes, since, usually, it's submitted directly to the federation.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Yes and no. USFS had rules in place ~ 2006 that allowed them to hold skaters who had certain placements for four seasons, which is what the told Morgan Matthews they would do, even though they later released Zavozin in a shorter time.

According to Rule 109 paragraph 5, the ISU Council can grant an exception to the usual rules, which include the requirement to get federation release. However, the rule has been in effect since at least the Constitution before 2008, and I'm not sure there's ever been a case where an exception request has been filed.

The interesting thing is that if an exception is granted, the skater/team isn't part of either country's quota of spots. It's like the skater/pair is an invited guest of the ISU. If they win prize money, I wonder where it goes, since, usually, it's submitted directly to the federation.
    Has there been any cases of such recently? It's really interesting/odd.

vCash
    Re-posting from the Russian news thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHbKA View Post
    Ilushechkina's interview for sport-ru by Oxana Shkrebtienko

LI: I want to enjoy the skating and not feel it's a must. I wanted to change everything including my attitude towards figure skating.

LI: It's hard to tell yet, we have just started. Nevertheless I like the way we work. We have two new programmes. Not everything was clean during the competition, so there is still a lot of work to be done.

LI: Through the internet. I emailed, he replied and we agreed on the terms.

OS: What kind of partner is he? Do you suit each other? After all it's not something you'd figure through the internet.
    LI: Yes, that is what I worried about, but am incredibly comfortable with Yannic. I tried some elements with other partners but never felt so comfortable. It's very important for the pairs skating and am thrilled things are working for us.

OS: What are your relationship outside the ice rink? Are you friends? Do you spend time together?
    LI: We are good friends. Yannic helps me a lot to get around in the new country, to find a flat, helps me with all the paper work. He had a birthday party and invited me there as well.

OS: Which language do you usually speak to him and the coach? How is your French?
    LI: We usually speak English out of habit, though recently I try switching to French. I'm studying the language for 4-6 hours a day towards the exam. I study from the books without any teachers. There is a progress - I started understanding and being comprehensive!

OS: The French FS team is very united and fun. How were you accepted, who did you become friends with, how do you feel there?
    LI: Indeed the team is friendly. I like the atmosphere - everyone cheers for each other, wish luck before the competitions. I feel very comfortable, the guys support me a lot and try to help me. I'm very grateful for them!

LI: It's not decided yet, but we do everything within our power to make the sit out as short as possible. In the mean while we plan to compete the FFSG competitions. The next one is the French Nationals in December.
    ETA their SP result/scores at the French Masters competition:
    3 Liubov ILYUSHECHKINA / Yannick KOCON 47.60 [27.54 TES, 20.06 PCS]
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-15-2012 at 01:59 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast