View Poll Results: Most "unbeloved" Olympic Champions, iyho???

Voters
352. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tara Lipinski - 1998

28 7.95%
  • Sarah Hughes - 2002

92 26.14%
  • Sale & Pelletier - 2002

89 25.28%
  • Totmiannina & Marinin - 2006

14 3.98%
  • Gritschuk & Platov - 1994

14 3.98%
  • Viktor Petrenko - 1992

1 0.28%
  • Alexei Urmanov - 1994

28 7.95%
  • Evgeny Plushenko - 2006

17 4.83%
  • Evan Lysacek - 2010

46 13.07%
  • OTHER! Please state, and please forgive, if I didn't mention someome/somthing remarkable!

23 6.53%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    outside of sarah hughes, and sale and pelletier, i don't have any one

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Schwarz.

Why he isn't on the Poll, I have no idea.

1. His medal was very controversial
    2. He is a total criminal scumbag

How is anyone even close?
    ITA.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    Sarah's win was on a 5/4 split while Tara's was a more convincing 6/3, not to mention Sarah's sp ordinals were all over the place and as low as 10th.
    2002 was more competitive, though, with more potential winners for the judges to waver between, so the outrage over who won was spread out among several skaters' fans. In 1998 "everyone knew it was between Tara and Michelle" so the anger was really put on one person.

vCash
    I voted for Hughes because out of everyone on the list and against their respective competitors, she had the least OGM calibre in her actual skating. However, ultimately it somehow worked out that she won and I am fine with that, no matter how much it hurt my eyes to see her do a lutz or flip.

On the other hand, the way S&P conducted themselves before that second set of OGMs were awarded was just disgraceful. However, I am not sure if they were unbeloved just because the crowd was behind them and they emerged from the whole story as the victims.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Awwww, S&P are winning this poll. I'd like to clarify: the least loved by the voter or who is least loved by the general public, in voter's opinion?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    On this list? Probably Lysacek or Urmanov.

vCash
    I went with Sarah Hughes, partly because I stubbornly refuse to include Sale and Pelletier in the category of "Olympic Champions."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    2002 was more competitive, though, with more potential winners for the judges to waver between, so the outrage over who won was spread out among several skaters' fans. In 1998 "everyone knew it was between Tara and Michelle" so the anger was really put on one person.
    I can see that argument, but despite Hughes' SC win earlier that season, I think 2002 was just as much the Slutskaya/Kwan show as 1998 was the Kwan/Lipinski show. I mean, Lipinski had lost to Hubert of all people during her Olympic season. I don't think that made Laetitia a sudden threat for gold in Nagano. The two overwhelming favorites in 98 both delivered (what a great competition!) and in 02 the top two fell a little flat and allowed an underdog to seize the opportunity- and just barely. If Kwan and Lipinksi had both flopped in 98, and an underdog like Bute or Slute had stepped up, I think a an upset win would definitely have been possible just like in 02.

vCash
    Can anyone refresh my memory?

How did S/P bitch and moan before the IOC made ISU hand out a second set of Gold? I mean they are obviously on the news a lot, so what exactly did they say during the interviews?

I'm a fan of S/P so it may be my selective memory. I can only recall during the K&C where audience booed the result S/P were actually telling the audience to calm down, Sale cried on the podium, giving interviews on how they thought they won, and afterward when it was decided they also would get the Gold, S/P gave interviews on how it was still bittersweet because the cheating judges took away the "moment" of their victory.

it's not like they chucked their medals into the garbage can...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks1227 View Post
    I went with Sarah Hughes, partly because I stubbornly refuse to include Sale and Pelletier in the category of "Olympic Champions."

vCash
    OMG they're tied at 61 votes each... Hughes is poised for a come from behind victory, and S&P are poised to finish an unexpected second ,just like in SLC!
    Last edited by escaflowne9282; 07-25-2012 at 06:49 AM.

vCash
    Hughes and Sale/Pelletier, I agree with everyone. Both wins were beyond riddiculous.

Apart from this, my personal least loved Olympic champions are Navka/Kostomarov.

vCash
    I voted for Sarah Hughes. Yes, she was by far the best in the free skate but in the sp I would not have even placed her in the top six. That's why I don't rate her as high as other Olympic Champions.
    Also, after her Gold she just seemed to fall apart.
    Anyone else here in London finding a parking space?. It's like there is an Olympics about to start

vCash
    Sale/Pelletier I dislike all their crocodile tears and crying wolf

Living in a Snark
    vCash
    Schwarz.

This.
    D&S 2006 and 2007 World Gold Medalists

vCash
    TT/MM were the rightful winners in 2006 but I don't think many people wanted them to get the OGM, compared with other pairs.
    For me, they were good but not great Olympic Champions. In 2006, though, there really was no other pair that could touch them, so there wasn't anyone else to root for on merit. I suppose some folks rooted for Shen/Zhao's comeback from injury and of course some folks rooted for their own national favorites, but really, Tot/Mar were in a class of their own in that field.

I completely agree they were rightful winners and the exhibition skate they did on COI that year was especially beautiful and transporting in a G&G way. Still, I think you have a point that they were not hugely loved. I remember a lot of folks (not including me) found them boring.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    For me, they were good but not great Olympic Champions. In 2006, though, there really was no other pair that could touch them, so there wasn't anyone else to root for on merit. I suppose some folks rooted for Shen/Zhao's comeback from injury and of course some folks rooted for their own national favorites, but really, Tot/Mar were in a class of their own in that field.

I completely agree they were rightful winners and the exhibition skate they did on COI that year was especially beautiful and transporting in a G&G way. Still, I think you have a point that they were not hugely loved. I remember a lot of folks (not including me) found them boring.
    Boring is an understatement. It also didn't help that Totmianina always seemed like a sour puss and Marinin was completely stoic and emotionless.

vCash
    Schwarz.

Because he's pretty much not on people's radar screens; I have barely even heard of him. Perhaps the poll should say most unbeloved OGM of the modern era.

vCash
    the reason jamie and david is because i feel they was gifted the ogm --not won,

reason for sarah are many

vCash
    I said Plushenko. He has a compete lack on respect for his competitors that I find appalling. I just can't get past him stating that he should have won the platinum medal. IT was completely ridiculous. Also I find him completely boring to watch because he has not artistic ability what so ever.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast