Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

vCash

American Idol news - Mariah Carey as a judge

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/reality...190515591.html

I thought I'd start a new thread to discuss Mariah Carey being selected a new American Idol judge & see what everyone thinks about it. I'm excited because I love her voice & I think she's going to be good. And her feedback should be spot on.

vCash
    Never been a fan of hers, but she can't be any worse than J. Lo

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    When will Idol figure out that a new judge, or a whole new panel of judges, wont bring in new viewers. That judge has to be someone exciting and has to get people talking. Have you ever listened to Mariah Carey talk? She is about as exciting as watching paint dry. She has never had much personality and has always relied on her incredible voice to get herself through, which she has in spades. She is not going to be the type of person to give the show great sound bites and to get people watching every week. The show needs another Simon, plain and simple.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Mariah Carey =

vCash
    I agree that the show "needs" Simon!
    That said, I'll reserve judgement about Mariah until I see what she does/says.

vCash
    I bet Mariah's fondness for way too tight clothing will be a distraction.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveRocks View Post
    Mariah Carey =
    I think she has trainwreck potential to rival Pauler's. On on the other hand, she might actually be quite good at giving critiques. Either way, I'll probably watch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    When will Idol figure out that a new judge, or a whole new panel of judges, wont bring in new viewers. That judge has to be someone exciting and has to get people talking. Have you ever listened to Mariah Carey talk? She is about as exciting as watching paint dry. She has never had much personality and has always relied on her incredible voice to get herself through, which she has in spades. She is not going to be the type of person to give the show great sound bites and to get people watching every week. The show needs another Simon, plain and simple.
    Have you seen her on this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am7fOLdZL2s

I think she can be pretty entertaining

vCash
    Well, atleast she can sing. I still think it's a total crock that Britney Spears is judging the X-Factor.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevind85 View Post
    Well, at least she can sing.
    Which we know because about 95% of the AI contestants sing in her annoying shrieky unnecessarily elaborate style. So if she's going to smack them down for ruining or overdoing that style (if that's possible), that could be hugely entertaining.
    We live in an ageist society where everything is based on youth, but I hated being 18. I don't like teenagers any more now than I did then. I'm 49 now and there is no way that I'd go back to my teens and 20s - even if I knew what I know now, I don't want to go through all that again. I found it a very difficult time. - Buzz Osborne of the Melvins

vCash
    Well, atleast she can sing. I still think it's a total crock that Britney Spears is judging the X-Factor.
    Not as much of a crock as JLo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KikiSashaFan View Post
    Never been a fan of hers, but she can't be any worse than J. Lo
    ITA. And since they're paying Mariah so much, there's no way they can bring back JLo.

I absolutely do not think they need a Simon. I thought Simon was useless when it came to criticism. He was just about insults. And I didn't think he had particularly good taste. He's the main reason I don't watch X Factor.

I would, however, like to see someone who was willing to be objecting and give constructive criticism. I thought that both Ben Folds and Sara Bareilles were good judges, but they're not big enough names.

vCash
    Barry Manilow was a fabulous mentor imo & he actually gave some negative feedback. I don't know how he would be as a judge though. I wonder if Aretha Franklin is a real possibility? She has nothing to lose like a current artist so she would probably tell it like it is. Bette Midler would also probably be tough. And good. I want judges who would do a better job picking the final 24. There are winners who shouldn't have ever gotten thru Vegas week - like Taylor Hicks for example.

vCash
    I would love Bette to be a judge!

vCash
    In these hard economic times with so many people struggling, is anybody else having a problem when the media gushes that somebody is getting paid $18 million to be a judge on a TV show? I think it's really kind of gross. In Mariah Carey's case, surely her attorneys could have arranged a non-disclosure of salary clause in the contract.

And it's just not Mariah Carey, it's all of them, including actor and athlete celebs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Barry Manilow was a fabulous mentor imo & he actually gave some negative feedback. I don't know how he would be as a judge though. I wonder if Aretha Franklin is a real possibility? She has nothing to lose like a current artist so she would probably tell it like it is. Bette Midler would also probably be tough. And good. I want judges who would do a better job picking the final 24. There are winners who shouldn't have ever gotten thru Vegas week - like Taylor Hicks for example.
    Amen to all of this!
    How much money did AI lose on Taylor Hicks?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Amen to all of this!
    How much money did AI lose on Taylor Hicks?
    None - it was the record company who lost money. AI just lost credibility and they do so every time they crown a mediocre singer like Lee DeWyse. He's another that I couldn't believe got thru Vegas or Hollywood week. And there have been non-winners too who didn't belong in the top 24 like Tim Urban.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Well, atleast she can sing.
    you'd never know it from the songs she records.

Mariah Carey was only interesting during her downward spiral period (have y'all SEEN Glitter? such awesomeness!). JLo doesn't have much of a voice but she's a far better entertainer, and I thought she was kind of a fun judge.

AI jumped the shark a few seasons ago, though. I don't think there's anything they can do, or anyone they can bring on, who could make them relevant again. So sure, why not give Mariah a day job?
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    Brad Paisley is being considered according to this source:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/07/brad...medium=twitter

vCash
    taf, when I think about some of the "singers" that have been sent to the Top 24, I wonder what the judges are "hearing".

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast