View Poll Results: Who will light the cauldron?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Steve Redgrave

10 13.89%
  • Daley Thompson

0 0%
  • SHARPIE

46 63.89%
  • Someone else

16 22.22%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by minuet View Post
    The torch has to be lit by a former, current, or representing future Olympian or paralympians. I found this when researching for Vancouver. So that excludes several people such as Her Majesty. Princess Anne could do it but I doubt she will.
    It also excludes the actors, politicians etc.
    I don't see anything like that in the IOC documents I found online. It's customary but not required as far as I can tell. Do you have a link?

Quote Originally Posted by SmallFairy View Post
    At Lillehammer our crown prince Haakon had the honor to lit up our gigantic soft ice cone, and he never competed in the Olympics. Maybe it was ok since both his father and grandfather did? Or maybe just because he was really royal? He was very cute tough, and very Norwegian in his native outfit
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by minuet View Post
    The torch has to be lit by a former, current, or representing future Olympian or paralympians. I found this when researching for Vancouver. So that excludes several people such as Her Majesty. Princess Anne could do it but I doubt she will.
    It also excludes the actors, politicians etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallFairy View Post
    At Lillehammer our crown prince Haakon had the honor to lit up our gigantic soft ice cone, and he never competed in the Olympics. Maybe it was ok since both his father and grandfather did? Or maybe just because he was really royal? He was very cute tough, and very Norwegian in his native outfit
    In 1988 it was a school girl - Robin Perry. Unless the rules have changed since 1994, I don't think it is required to have an Olympic athlete light the torch. Having said that, I strongly feel like it should be an athlete.

vCash
    ^ From HRH's Wikipedia page:

He has also been part of Olympics ceremonies. In 1994, the Crown Prince and his father played roles during the opening ceremony in Lillehammer. While the King declared open the Games, the Crown Prince lit the cauldron, paying tribute to his father and grandfather having served as Olympians.
    Sort of a stretch, but it was a charming moment, nonetheless.

vCash
    Another name I have heard in the running is David Bond. He is the last living British Olympic Gold medallist from the 1948 Olympics.

Personally I want Redgrave but would settle for Thompson or Bond.

vCash
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oly...-ceremony.html

This gives potential insight. I like the idea of the five rings if it is true.

vCash
    Wow.... the thought of Muhammad Ali or Aung San Suu Kyi might be involved as part of the 5 ring is an interesting idea! Though would hard not to appear political. I'd love to add Pele to the list or maybe Nelson Mandela (Invictus) if possible? Then Steve Redgrave makes 5. Or maybe they can do one from each continent?

London is one of the most cosmopolitan cities in the world and it would be great if it can celebrate that diversity with an all encompassing representation for the 5 rings. Who's the most famous female Olympian for Summer Olympics?

In track and field - UK has Paula Radcliffe, Tanni Grey-Thompson (Paralympics 11 gold)? Or maybe the greatest gymnast, Nadia Comaneci; or a Tennis player Billie Jean King. Stephie G (though itself is not a classic Olympic event).

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Whatever they do I can't see it topping Barcelona. I never saw that one coming so maybe there is something more spectacular out there. If not, I'm sure it will be creative and fun.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Failing her snatch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Whatever they do I can't see it topping Barcelona.
    That will always be my favourite too - Fecking all sorts of AWESOME !

And sorry to be rude, but I really dont want to see any foreign athletes involved in the flame lighting. So you can take your Billie Jean King and Muhammed Ali talk and shove them where the sun dont shine
    Dont Hate! Gyrate!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Whatever they do I can't see it topping Barcelona. I never saw that one coming so maybe there is something more spectacular out there. If not, I'm sure it will be creative and fun.
    Indeed!
    Talk about unexpected.
    It was fabulous.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Maybe they could have Tanni Grey Thompson wheel the torch in and then she stands up to light the cauldron. That would be impressive.
    Oh my God, Fred.

I am freaked out.

http://www.athleticsweekly.com/messa...tart=90#p68273

I wrote that yesterday!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SHARPIE View Post
    And sorry to be rude, but I really dont want to see any foreign athletes involved in the flame lighting. So you can take your Billie Jean King and Muhammed Ali talk and shove them where the sun dont shine

Do the Welsh Rugby team have a legitimate shot??/ At least they win shit!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by poths View Post
    Oh my God, Fred.

I am freaked out.

http://www.athleticsweekly.com/messa...tart=90#p68273

I wrote that yesterday!!!
    PML! Great mind think alike and err...
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash

I feel exactly the same. We'll never get the Olympics again here in Britain again in most of our lifetimes. It should be someone from Britain that gets to do it, it's not like the opportunity will come up again.

I'd really like to see it be Steve Redgrave but I don't know if they'll go for him because it seems too obvious (which I suppose isn't the best reason for not choosing him but if they're going for an unexpected wow factor then I doubt he will be chosen).

snarking for AZE
    vCash

i dont think it is rude, the ceremony should be all british. i would be disappointed if some rude 'merikkun lit the flame.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Same here--host country, host country flame lighter
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Sharpie better have her Bic ready.

Failing her snatch
    vCash
    I'll also to infinity if it's some snotty schoolkid from a 'deprived' area or something.

Im kind of thinking it will be as the whole bid campaign was centred around inspiring children to take up sport. Ugh.
    Dont Hate! Gyrate!

vCash

No offense taken here. I look forward to the Opening Ceremonies every four years BECAUSE they are unique to the host nation. My dream is to see one live. I can't wait to see what the Brits have put together!
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveRinger View Post
    No offense taken here. I look forward to the Opening Ceremonies every four years BECAUSE they are unique to the host nation. My dream is to see one live. I can't wait to see what the Brits have put together!
    And lighting the caldron is an honor that should be left to an Olympian. Period. The end.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

Failing her snatch
    vCash
    Oh I dunno, the psycho bloke from the Prodigy would be fun! 'Im a firestarter.... twisted firestarter'
    Dont Hate! Gyrate!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast