vCash

What Level Learn to Skate do you need to be to...

Say,I read that a Learn to Skate Group at my Rink (Newington Arena),skated in their Tribute to Life Show...and was just wondering what Level Learn to Skate Skater you need to be to be picked for something like that?

vCash
    That's up to each rink to decide. At our rink, each level of Learn to Skate gets to do a group number in the show.

vCash
    I see. Do Skaters have to actually PASS a whole Level? Or is it possible to be picked from just being a natual Skater? Or empressing people with what you can do?

vCash
    Like I said, each rink makes its own rules. At my rink you don't have to pass anything, or be picked for anything. If you're in the class, you get to be in the group number.

vCash
    BTW. do you need to be able to do any kind of tricks to be in one?

vCash
    At my rink, like Clarice's, all the Learn to Skate skaters get to be in the show, and each class has its own group number. If you're in the class, you're in the show. If any of the Learn to Skate skaters can do a trick, the choreographer might put that into the group program. But it certainly wouldn't be required for everyone to do that trick to be able to be in the show.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSWer View Post
    Our shows are very informal. Anyone in LTS can sign up to be in the shows. Also anyone in the club, which includes Special Olympic skaters can sign up to do a solo.

You don't need any tricks- we have some kids who can do nothing but tiny marching steps. But if you still want to wear a costume, you can go out on the ice with your group.

Of course, the lower level groups always have helpers, that way, if they fall and can't get up, or can't move fast enough, someone can help them out.

Our club doesn't do "group" numbers for anyone but LTS though - everyone else is solos and duos. That is different than most clubs. Our show is more of a showcase of routines, not a cohesive show with a theme.

vCash
    When we make the Learn to Skate group numbers, we use the skills they've been working on in their class. So Basic 1 skaters march, do 2-foot glides, dips, try some forward swizzles or back wiggles - anything that was on the list of skills for their level. It's the same for the other levels, except they might also do things from lower levels. We might add some simple arm movements. The youngest skaters don't even need to memorize the program, because we usually have the instructor go out and skate it with them so they can follow along if they forget.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarice View Post
    When we make the Learn to Skate group numbers, we use the skills they've been working on in their class. So Basic 1 skaters march, do 2-foot glides, dips, try some forward swizzles or back wiggles - anything that was on the list of skills for their level. It's the same for the other levels, except they might also do things from lower levels. We might add some simple arm movements. The youngest skaters don't even need to memorize the program, because we usually have the instructor go out and skate it with them so they can follow along if they forget.
    So it's not required for Skaters to have to be able to do Spirals,Jumps,etc.? Even someone like me could be picked?

vCash
    It depends on the rink, but at ours, if you took lts, you could be in the group number for the show.

vCash
    So it's not required for Skaters to have to be able to do Spirals,Jumps,etc.? Even someone like me could be picked?
    If you were in one of my group classes, you could be in the number for the show. Everyone in the class could be in it. I would only use moves that you and the other skaters were able to do.

vCash
    For most club shows, group number skaters aren't "picked" at all. You sign up, pay the fees and it's up to the coaches to choreograph a program that all the skaters can do.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.