Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

What university course should I take?

I work for a university, and one of the benefits is that I get to take one course (non-credit) for free each semester. I can't decide what course to take. Any suggestions?

vCash
    I am green with envy. What interests you? Science, history, art, literature etc...?

vCash
    Well, tons of things interest me. That's why I can't decide!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    You get to do it non-credit? Grrr. I have to take mine for credit and subject myself to a grade.

What kinds of things do you want to do? I take things that interest me--sociology, psychology, geography, humanities, etc. Language classes are very popular. Exercise is THE most popular hands down; I do that, too, and the faculty/staff locker room is always mobbed.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    I love art classes, especially ones like pottery, printmaking, stained glass — anything I couldn't do at home. Art classes are also less focused on grades/papers and more on the experience/creation.

I probably "need" to take a finance course, though it does not interest me in the least.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    I love art classes, especially ones like pottery, printmaking, stained glass — anything I couldn't do at home. Art classes are also less focused on grades/papers and more on the experience/creation.
    I thought about that but then realized that I can take it those courses at the adult school for $200 or so. I also thought about Spanish or another foreign language, but I can take that at the adult school too.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I was about to say Spanish. Can't go wrong with that. And save the $200.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    mpal's community college offers non-credit classes in wine/cheese tastings. Can you find one of those?

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    No idea what your interests are, but if I had that kind of opportunity, I'd probably go with something like architecture - a class I never took as a Psychology & English major, but that I've always been curious about. (But my drawing skills, or lack thereof, would mean I'd be happy not to have to take it for a grade).

vCash
    Go for something totally obscure, that you would never think to take...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    Go for something totally obscure, that you would never think to take...
    That's what I've been thinking too. Another thought is to take the courses that I did really poorly in during college (physics, organic chemistry) to prove to myself that I'm not really dumb in those regards. But what if I am?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    I thought about that but then realized that I can take it those courses at the adult school for $200 or so.
    Oh, only $200!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    Oh, only $200!
    Well, the free course at the university is worth about $1000, so I'd like to get my money's worth.

vCash
    There's a website called Coursera where you can sign up to take online courses for free. It's pretty cool.

vCash
    You've just inspired me Gaz, and I've just enrolled to do another bachelor degree (bachelor of arts - at the moment, wanting to major in art history, but maybe politics and history, or maybe religion studies). Completely different to my previous studies (bachelor of social science, graduate diploma in primary education, masters in special education and masters in applied linguistics) and completely different to my field (working with children special needs, and their families and schools). I'm really excited! Italy really got me more interested in art and history, and when I just told my folks, they were totally unsurprised! (I actually love studying). Thanks for the reminder to actually do something about it!

vCash
    How about something that's a stretch, but might inform part of your real life? Pharmacology? Something in health administration that deals with Federal regulation? Nutrition science? Traffic management?
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Ask around what kind of fields the university is known for. It's always safe to go with the finest classes they can provide.

vCash
    I always wanted to take an anthropology course, but could never fit one into my schedule. So I would just find the syllabus each semester and read the books on it.

I have to second the art classes though- I bet they are more involved than continuing ed would be.

vCash
    I work for a university, and one of the benefits is that I get to take one course (non-credit) for free each semester. I can't decide what course to take. Any suggestions?

I have this same benefit at the university where my husband works. I've taken a pre-history course, and several Spanish classes. I also took an introductory MIS class, although I've taken those before and used to work in IT, just to refresh my knowledge, as it's been over 10 years since I worked in the field.

My thought is that you should go through their course catalogue and if there's anything in there that interests you, circle it. Then narrow it down from there, keeping in mind if there's anything you've ever wanted to learn, or skills you want to improve or refresh.

You get to take non-credit classes as well? I only get to take those offered for credit.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    That's what I've been thinking too. Another thought is to take the courses that I did really poorly in during college (physics, organic chemistry) to prove to myself that I'm not really dumb in those regards. But what if I am?
    I always tell myself I'm going to do that, too, but then I will see something that sounds a lot more interesting than, say, finance.

I've taken a few classes because they were beneficial for my job--deathly dull small group psychology comes to mind --but I really just don't want to take classes because I should. Been there, done that, would rather do things I actually enjoy thinking about.

At this point, I am thinking about getting a Geography degree; I really like Geography, as it combines a lot of fields that I enjoy. I would like to take a class called Technology and the Human Condition at some point because I keep hearing what a great course it is. I would like to take music classes, too, and take up the piano or guitar again.

So many classes, so little time. It just depends on what you want to subject yourself to--and you will be subjecting yourself, because no matter how interesting the class, there will be times when you remember why you thought school was tedious the first time around.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast