Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

"The Dark Knight Rises" -- Impressions, Thoughts?

The blockbuster opens tonight. Anyone going to a midnight screening?

I was lucky to screen it. Liked it but not as much as the second film with the brilliant Heath Ledger. My biggest peeve -- I couldn't understand a third of what Bane said.

I have a few mildly-spoilerish thoughts for people watching it tonight, but will still use spoiler tags.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

vCash
    This is an interesting time for a movie with a villain who is selective regarding his victims (not sure if I am correct on that.) I wonder how folks will react to Bane's motives. I thought it was ridiculous that Rush Limbaugh said Bane was a deliberate attack on Mitt Romney (who was ceo of Bain.) Of course Rush didn't mention that Bane was invented for the cartoon years ago.

Even if I thought the film looked awful I think the director is worth his weight in gold and would want to see it for him alone. It looks damned good imho.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    I thought it was ridiculous that Rush Limbaugh said Bane was a deliberate attack on Mitt Romney (who was ceo of Bain.) Of course Rush didn't mention that Bane was invented for the cartoon years ago.
    I listened to the clip, and that's not what he said at all. He was engaging in a bit of satire on pop culture and politics (during which he pointed out that of course the character preceded the election). But of course it was distorted all over the Web, as a lot of these things tend to be.

Re: Bane's accent, this was my favorite line from the Washington Post review: "When Batman and Bane argue, it’s like listening to a Battle of the Synthesized Voice Boxes ('I see your Christopher Plummer, sir, and raise you one Darth Vader and a Clint Eastwood!')."
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    What did you think of Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle? I've read good things about her performance in the film. I'll catch the film sometimes in August.

vCash
    I liked Anne as Selina, but not as Catwoman if that makes sense.

As Selina she was a character with some depth and motivation.

As Catwoman she was much more a caricature - a bad girl in bladed stilettos.

She looked awesome in everything she wore though.

vCash
    LOVED the movie and will see it again to catch what I. Issued dung the bathroom brak. Getting that giant drink for a 3 hour moie was not a good idea.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    LOVED the movie and will see it again to catch what I. Issued dung the bathroom brak. Getting that giant drink for a 3 hour moie was not a good idea.
    You were issued dung during your bathroom break?

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Fess up, that giant drink was a margarita!
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    My favorite movie out of the three and favorite movie of the year so far. Bane's voice did took a while to get use to and anyone who's familiar with the comics could see the

Spoiler

. But a very good wrap up to the trilogy and a really satisfying ending IMO.

Of all the hooplas around the internet criticizing Nolan for casting Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle back when it was announced, Nolan/Hathaway pulled off the character extremely well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    You were issued dung during your bathroom break?

Oh my...

Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    Fess up, that giant drink was a margarita!

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Looooved Hathaway as Selina! She knocked it out of the park! Totally classic Catwoman, even if her costume lacked certain details. Didn't matter.

Dark Knight Rises is basically Batman Begins filmed like Dark Knight. I was actually pretty surprised at how "comic book-y" it was, and yet was also very brutal at times.

Spoiler

A very very fitting end to the trilogy. What third superhero movie curse?

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I listened to the clip, and that's not what he said at all. He was engaging in a bit of satire on pop culture and politics (during which he pointed out that of course the character preceded the election). But of course it was distorted all over the Web, as a lot of these things tend to be.
    Yep, what he SAID was "They're going to USE it to say it's all about Romney", and a couple Demos have actually admitted uh, yeah, actually we were gonna play on that, but now that's torpedoed in advance.

I don't believe anything in the film's intended for a future plot. I thought this was supposed to be Nolan and Bale's last Batman film. I'll probably see it, or part of it, at some point, but it's far below "The Avengers" and "Brave" on my priority list. (I tuned out when my brother brought over "Batman Begins" and fell asleep in "The Dark Knight." Honestly, I'm more interested in the GI Joe sequel.)

vCash
    I got to see the movie yesterday. I thought it was very good. It's not as clever as TDK, but I feel like since it was the conclusion, it needed to tie things up more neatly.

I was a huge skeptic of Anne Hathaway as Seline Kyle, but she did an awesome job.

I felt like it was a good move to bring the League of Shadows back into the story, since the series started with it. However, I feel like the LoS stuff was one of the weaker areas to begin with, so the material and character motivations were not as strong.

Overall though, it was a great movie. The acting was great, and it was a great conclusion to the trilogy.

vCash
    Just wanted to add that Joesph Gordon Hewitt was also fantastic. Loved him in a cop's uniform. He's looked GOOD, but as soon as he put on a suit he went back to looking like a kid. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by all_empty View Post

Spoiler

I would love that. But unfortunately the studio I believe have said that this is the last Batman movie.
    Last edited by Buzz; 07-21-2012 at 08:40 PM.

vCash
    I love the boy's rendition of the anthem... what an amazing voice.

I also love Hathaway as Selina/Catwoman. She (and Nolan) proved the doubters wrong

I wish the police officers had looked a bit/acted more worn down after being cooped up in a hole for months...

I also wish there were more Alfred :<

vCash
    But unfortunately the studio I believe have said that this is the last Batman movie.
    Oh I wouldn't bet against a reboot in the near future. Perhaps Joel Schumacher would like an opportunity to redeem himself .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by all_empty View Post

Spoiler

Spoiler

1. No.

2, Yes, I thought so. Cannot comment more since I don't know how to do the spoiler thingy...

vCash
    Wow -- I actually liked this movie more than "The Dark Knight," which I wasn't expecting at all. Then again, I watched TDK again to get ready for this weekend and realized that IMO, that movie's kind of boring whenever the Joker isn't around.

I wasn't even that bothered by how amazingly long the movie was because I thought it moved along really well. Loved Anne Hathaway and Tom Hardy.

(Are there any other "Torchwood" fans out there who geeked out when Burn Gorman showed up? I poked my husband and squealed "IT'S OWEN!" I had no idea he was in this.)

Spoiler

"Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    This is an interesting time for a movie with a villain who is selective regarding his victims (not sure if I am correct on that.) I wonder how folks will react to Bane's motives. I thought it was ridiculous that Rush Limbaugh said Bane was a deliberate attack on Mitt Romney (who was ceo of Bain.) Of course Rush didn't mention that Bane was invented for the cartoon years ago.
    Not entirely correct. He's very callous to everyone who isn't useful to him (ie, he kills his minions wantonly), but he's particularly sadistic regarding Bruce Wayne/Batman.

The Occupy Wall St "theme" was only touched on, and it's mostly something that's glossed over since Bane wasn't doing it to incite a real revolution. It was just another example of how sadistic he is. Give the people hope, and then taking it away. You have to watch the movie to see what I mean.

I've actually heard that nearly an hour of footage was cut to ensure that the runtime would fit onto IMAX film platters. (It was only a minute under the absolute maximum. We didn't even get any trailers.) It wouldn't surprise me - all the right emotional beats were there, but a lot of themes were only touched on, and Dark Knight showed that they were perfectly capable of getting pretty deep with them.

vCash
    I just got back from seeing it...and the first chance I get I'm planning to watch the first two and then go watch TDKR again. Not sure I remember the last time I was so stressed out during a movie; it just kept building and building. My friend chewed off most of her right finger nail from how stressed she was, but she made sure she only attacked that one nail.

I thought it was a brilliant film; very well done, a strong conclusion to the trilogy. Whether the studio decides to continue with the Batman movies or not (I'm voting that yes they should!!), it wrapped up things nicely but still left plenty of room for continuation.

Alfred seriously almost made me cry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast