Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

vCash
    I question Heidi's "taste level", often.

Sometimes, I wonder what the judges are seeing on the runway.
    Does a garment only need to look good for 30 seconds?

vCash
    And you should. Heidi's personal taste is pretty bad. Just look at what she wears every week - most of her outfits are Nina's definition of "cheap": short, tight, shiny. And I'm with Nina on that one. While I think it's great that Heidi's had four kids and is in her 40s but still has a slammin' bod, she needs to quit trying to compete with 25-year-olds. There are sexy outfits for women her age. Hire a friggin' stylist who can find them for you, Tante Heidi.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    Dimitri was awesome last night.
    I love Comrade Snape. I want him to be my next husband. And even though I hated Elena's attitude and her work most of this season, I was on her side this week. The real-life doll twist was stupid and manipulative and unnecessary. I laughed out loud when Elena introduced her "baby" with "Her name is A$$hole. Here she is." I probably would have done the same under the circumstances. Although I knew she was doomed the minute she said she had to create something "fun and playful" for a baby. Not her thing at all.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    This was one of the best runway shows. The kids were SO cute. The child Sonjie had was SOOO adorable! That kid stole the show on the runway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post

Sometimes, I wonder what the judges are seeing on the runway.
    Does a garment only need to look good for 30 seconds?
    I think they have photos to refer back to later in the judging. Sometimes you can see them when they are having their little on camera judging discussion. And the "chatting with the designers" with the models on the runway goes on for much longer than is shown, so they have another opportunity to see the designs then.

vCash
    From Laura Bennett's PR blog:

You have to remember that what Heidi refers to as “this week's challenge” is really “this day's challenge.” The shooting schedule for the show doesn’t allow days off in between the challenges. The designers are woken early in the morning, sometimes as early as 4:00 am. If you pay close attention to the morning scenes you will notice that it’s still dark outside. They are taken to Parsons or some other location to be given the details of their next challenge. They shop at Mood then begin sewing sometime in the afternoon. If it is a one-day challenge, they stop sewing at midnight, do interviews (the clips you see throughout the show) then get to bed at about 2:00am. The next morning they usually have two hours to finish, fit, and send their models to the L’Oreal hair and makeup room. The actual runway segment of the show starts filming at about noon and lasts to 8:00 pm. It’s long, hot (no air conditioning that would interfere with the sound) and emotionally draining because you never know if you are the one on the chopping block. When the segment is finished being filmed, the designers change their clothes, and meet Heidi back on the runway to get the wacky hint about the next challenge. Then the entire process starts over. No breaks. No down time. No time to recover. It’s hard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    And you should. Heidi's personal taste is pretty bad. Just look at what she wears every week - most of her outfits are Nina's definition of "cheap": short, tight, shiny. And I'm with Nina on that one. While I think it's great that Heidi's had four kids and is in her 40s but still has a slammin' bod, she needs to quit trying to compete with 25-year-olds. There are sexy outfits for women her age. Hire a friggin' stylist who can find them for you, Tante Heidi.
    Heidi turned 39 in June. Not quite in her 40s yet.

If she is happy with what she wears, more power to her. She did make one comment this season about it that indicated that she knows her style is not for everyone (describing her dress as a "pink disco ball"). I don't think women should be given arbitrary style rules based on their age. For example, I know plenty of 20 year olds who should be saying no to the skinny jeans and a few 40 year olds who can rock them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Heidi turned 39 in June. Not quite in her 40s yet.

If she is happy with what she wears, more power to her. She did make one comment this season about it that indicated that she knows her style is not for everyone (describing her dress as a "pink disco ball"). I don't think women should be given arbitrary style rules based on their age. For example, I know plenty of 20 year olds who should be saying no to the skinny jeans and a few 40 year olds who can rock them.
    True, I'm 59 and look better in skinny jeans the in other styles. My hips are so narrow and my butt so flat, that other styles make my hips look even smaller. That said, I still think Heidi could go a bit more elegant.

vCash
    I'm just watching it now.

Wow, Christopher is a b/c that woman and I would have had to step outside for a minute.

Only 1/2 way thru now......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post

Wow, Christopher is a b/c that woman and I would have had to step outside for a minute.
    Right? I probably would have went to jail in that situation!
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Melissa What's the deal? In the words of the great Latrice Royale: "Good God, get a grip, girl".

Dmitry, Christopher, & Fabio need their own show.

vCash
    The only thing that saved Melissa was that Elena quit being a raging psycho-bitch, so the producers had no further use for her.

vCash
    I really wish I could have seen Elena do this challenge, but Melissa totally justified being kept by her outfit tonight. I thought it was dreadful until I saw it all together on the runway and then I thought it was fabulous. Actually, I thought most of them were much better than I expected them to be.

I kind of agree with Sonji leaving--she was my pick for the final three on the first episode, but it does feel like the light has gone out of her for most of the past few challenges. And her dress was the only one I didn't like or find something redeeming in. All I could think was, trailer trash mermaid.

Really impressed with Zoe Soldana. And for the first time in at least three seasons, I've agreed with Ninagahcia and Michael Disco Ball Kors over Heidi. I have no idea what she was watching like Sonjie's outfit.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Zoe was one tough critic.

It was clear to me that Christopher and Dmitri are the stars of this season. I don't get Fabio, never have, and Melissa is hit or miss. (And I hated tonight's avant-garde look although to be fair those colors were pretty awful to work with.)

Last time L'Oreal introduced a new line this way I actually bought some.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    My god there were some ugly dresses tonight. I wish they made it a straight couture challenge -- remember all the stunning dresses from Jeffrey and Laura's season?

Dimitry had far and away the best look. Definitely could've done without the vampire choker collar though. Glad they brought up his candy dress.

I agreed with Heidi on Melissa's dress and Michael and Nina on Sonjia's. U-G-L-Y.

Melissa recycled her high collar yet again and the print on the skirt was so cheap looking. Didn't love the blue leather vest either. Frankly, her whole only black vibe doesn't impress me ... Mila did it so much better.

I like Sonjia but that dress did look like a bad skating costume. Way too much illusion fabric that bunched even on her super skinny model. Wish she had the gold lame, but I still think she would've been aufed.

My dream three would've been Chris, Dmitry and Elena.

vCash
    Generally agree with you, PRLady, and also with many of your comments too Matryeshka.

all_empty, it really would have been interesting re your dream three. I think Elena has a lot of talent but she didn't work well under the PR format. It is ironic how she got by with some bad outfits during the season but was auf'ed for a not too bad baby outfit. I believe Elena's Final Collection did make a great impact for a runway show, and I really wonder what the judges thought of it. Too bad they don't have the judges at least eventually discuss online or in a wrap-up show the Final Collections of designers who don't make the top three.

Interesting that the judges conflicted slightly on likes and dislikes for the avant garde challenge. I guess not surprising that they decided to let four designers duke it out for final three.

Sonjia had some very good looks this season (at least 3 wins), but I agree that she doesn't seem to have a signature style and she had some misses too during the season. She took going home in stride (maybe because she did have a chance to put a show on the runway, tho' it won't be seen by tv viewers). I didn't think her avant garde outfit was that bad (tho' the mesh was odd and it didn't match the model's skin color). Also the green color and some of the design details perhaps made it seem a bit tacky. Heidi probably liked it because of the sexy fit.

I love Dimitri, and I'm happy he won the final challenge. He has a lot of talent, wit, great construction skills, and a well-balanced personality. I wish he would win the whole shebang, but it will probably be Chris (based on the Final Collections I've seen). Hard to know tho' because seeing slides on the Internet is not the same as actually seeing the models/ designs in the full runway show, or at least seeing the models move down the runway on tv.

I agree with the judges' re Chris' avant garde outfit (he overdid it), but the judges do hold him in high esteem. Fabio had an interesting jacket, but the rest was boring. I don't think he's as strong a designer overall as either Melissa or Sonjia, but perhaps he has a stronger aesthetic than Sonjia. Melissa's avant garde outfit was one of the better ones for this challenge, but I agree with the judges re her skirt length. I do think the final five were the best designers of the season, altho' Elena and Ven are also very talented.

vCash
    It was clear to me that Christopher and Dmitri are the stars of this season.
    A deserved "top two"; although I hope that Dmitry wins the whole thing.

Dmitry's look was beautifully constructed.
    Very fashion-forward and sophisticated; yet not so "far-out" as to be unwearable.
    How/why the judges call him a "one note" designer; when they claim to want winners with skill, a POV, and the ability to construct a cohesive collection, I can't understand.

The only piece of Melissa's look that I liked was the leather jacket.

I don't find Fabio avant-garde at all.
    Most of the time, he seems confused, with sloppy execution.
    Even the jacket they raved about was a "mistake".

Sonjia's dress might have worked in a different fabric.
    That particular fabric, with the mesh that didn't match the skintone of the model, looked "tacky", not what she was aiming for.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    That particular fabric, with the mesh that didn't match the skintone of the model, looked "tacky", not what she was aiming for.
    I think if it had been in the gold fabric she lost, it would have been 180 degrees better. That green looked like napkins and tablecloths, as Kors pointed out.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Do you think we will see Christopher's feathered arms on the next Black Swan skating costume?

vCash
    A deserved "top two"; although I hope that Dmitry wins the whole thing.

Dmitry's look was beautifully constructed.
    Very fashion-forward and sophisticated; yet not so "far-out" as to be unwearable.
    How/why the judges call him a "one note" designer; when they claim to want winners with skill, a POV, and the ability to construct a cohesive collection, I can't understand.

The only piece of Melissa's look that I liked was the leather jacket.

I don't find Fabio avant-garde at all.
    Most of the time, he seems confused, with sloppy execution.
    Even the jacket they raved about was a "mistake".

Agree with most of your viewpoints, especially re the judges' clueless comments re hoping Dimitri would not bring "the same designs one after the other down the runway"! Dimitri definitely has range and versatility, and he has shown it. Perhaps earlier on in the challenges he kept it simple with beautifully constructed dresses as a strategy because of the limited time/ nature of the competition. In any case, every one of Dimitri's dresses were wearable works of art! He has a lot of style and sensitivity! Dimitri really made the show a hit for me this season. Even as the judges gave Dimitri the win for the final challenge, they were dissing him!?

Laura Bennett's blog is eye-opening -- much worse than I imagined. It's a wonder these designers have any energy left to be inspired and imaginative enough to put together anything for a runway show.

Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    I think if it had been in the gold fabric she lost, it would have been 180 degrees better. That green looked like napkins and tablecloths, as Kors pointed out.
    ITA! The gold fabric really looked beautiful. Strange about Sonjia not making sure her main fabric of choice was in her bag when she left Mood.

Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast