Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

vCash
    The lipstick on Elena's models was very distracting. I liked Fabio's the best.

vCash
    The thick, black brows on Dmitry's girls were truly WTF?! I didn't understand that styling choice at all. I liked most of the clothes, though.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Ven's attitude stinks, but I thought the dresses were BEAUTIFUL. He's going to no problems getting clients after this.

I actually really liked Elena's too. I don't know if she has it in her to make the top three, but her collection was original and cohesive. You have to have a real fit body (something she does) to wear those.

I don't know what Sonjia or Gunnar were doing; Sonjia looked like she was working with scraps and if anyone was doing an African collection you'd think it be her.

Yikes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skipaway View Post
    The lipstick on Elena's models was very distracting. I liked Fabio's the best.
    In real life the lipstick would be . But editorially, it was very cool.

I went back and looked at Fabio's. I do like what they are showing of his collection, very soft and pretty, yet architectural. It just doesn't seem as interesting as Ven's and Elena"s. But, I may think differently on seeing the entire collection. So, I am reserving my decision on his.

Nomad, I totally agree about Dimitri's models and their eyebrows. What was he thinking? Trying to make unibrow stylish? That was more distracting than Elena's lips, and in a bad way. I also, still feel that his things were very costumey, they would be fabulous for ice dance.

vCash
    Ven's attitude stinks, but I thought the dresses were BEAUTIFUL. He's going to no problems getting clients after this.
    ITA.

vCash
    Ven's collection looked okay on the models, of course, but only a model-type can wear those fabrigami things. I thought Elena's collection was extremely repetitve. I didn't like Gunnar's collection at all.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Glancing at the final collections:

Sonjia--very disappointing, after the excellent work she did in the regular season.
    Dmitri--also disappointing, and a real WTF on the eyebrows. Did love the silver dress though.
    Elena--reminds me of sci fi movies from the 1970's, where the director/costume designer assumed that everyone in the future will dress in pastels with geometric colorblocking. I hope her runway music was weird computer pinging of some sort. Beeeeep! Booooooop!
    Gunnar--some interesting outfits, but overall it seemed a bit patronizing.
    Fabio--you know....this isn't my style....but it is a cohesive, well-done collection. I don't want to like it, but somehow it works.
    Chris--ehh, OK
    Ven--we've seen this done better by Marchesa.
    Melissa--I've actually forgotten most of it.

vCash
    Only a "model type" can wear most of what appears on any runway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by susan6 View Post

Sonjia--very disappointing, after the excellent work she did in the regular season.
    Dmitri--also disappointing, and a real WTF on the eyebrows. Did love the silver dress though.
    Elena--reminds me of sci fi movies from the 1970's, where the director/costume designer assumed that everyone in the future will dress in pastels with geometric colorblocking. I hope her runway music was weird computer pinging of some sort. Beeeeep! Booooooop!
    Fabio--you know....this isn't my style....but it is a cohesive, well-done collection. I don't want to like it, but somehow it works.
    Chris--ehh, OK
    Agree. As to Ven, not only Marchesa, but Versace, Roland Mouret, Ellie Saab, and even Michael Kors.

vCash

Chris--ehh, OK
    Good observation, I had the same reaction.

vCash
    After viewing the collections of final eight, I really hope it was either Chris, Dimitry, and Ven, or Chris, Elena, and Ven who made the top three. I doubt that Gunnar made top three, but surprisingly I really love his collection. It is very cohesive and the styling is wonderful too. He showed a touch of genius. It would be great if he managed to make the top three, but I doubt it based on what's transpired so far in the show.

I'm most disappointed in Sonjia's and Melissa's collections. I think they both had interesting pieces, but both collections were not that cohesive and they had several misses, along with a few hits, altho' Melissa probably had more hits than misses.

I hated Dimitry's styling (makeup) on his models. What was he thinking? It didn't work for me, but I really liked a lot of his looks, tho' it is true re Tom and Lorenzo's assessment about the surprising lack of taste in some of his pieces as contrasted to what he did during the series (but he was criticized a few times for his conservative approach, so he may have tried to go out on a high wire, and his ideas didn't fully come together.

I really like Chris's collection. It was cohesive, well-styled as well as dramatic. I thought Ven's dresses were gorgeous, but again maybe too much of the same (altho' that approach worked for season 2 and season 5 winners of PR). Fabio's collection was cohesive but too pastel, and not enough of a statement -- and I don't really see anything in it that makes him stand out as a designer.

On first viewing, I didn't like Elena's collection. However, I do agree with Tom and Lorenzo that her styling was great and just so much fun for the runway. Plus, I think the judges love Elena (and the fans who voted for their designer favorite love her also, if the online voting is to be believed). Elena's collection was smart and interesting for all the reasons Tom and Lorenzo noted. If she was in the top three, Elena may just have won it all. Altho' Chris may also have an outside chance, as he is certain to have finished in the top three. I wish Gunnar's interesting collection was under consideration too.

My favorite collections are actually Gunnar's and Chris' (and I like many of Dimitry's pieces, but I don't think his collection was that great overall). Some of Melissa's and Sonjia's pieces are interesting, but their collections don't work overall. I just hope Ven does not win the season, tho' his dresses are beautiful. Altho' her personality sucks to a great extent, got to hand it to Elena for pulling out the kind of collection that the judges will probably go for. It does make a statement. Now it just remains, who actually made the final three.

vCash
    After reading all of these posts, I realized that I hadn't seen all of the photos. For some reason, I only saw the first 4 of each designer. My link would switch to the next designer after 4. But, I went back and did it again and now I can go all of the way through.

I really did not like Gunnar's that much. He had one or two pieces that were interesting. But, most looked like cut and paste appliqué.

Did not care for Sonjias, which did surprise me.

Dimitri was the biggest disappointment. Not that his collection was terrible, but it was not up to what he's done all season.

Chris' and Melissa's were okay, nothing special.

I really liked Ven's but it was all the same. Did not like the white satin dresses. I LOVED the white beaded pants with the black sheer top.

Fabio had a few really pretty pieces and mostly boring pieces.

I really think my favorite was Elena's. I loved the structure, the color blocking, the styling. She is a bitch, but she's good.

vCash
    If Elena does win, I think we've figured out the formula for Project Runway. Between Elena, Wretchen, Irina, and Jeffrey, the formula is:

Be a total bitch = win Project Runway.

vCash
    If Elena does win, I think we've figured out the formula for Project Runway. Between Elena, Wretchen, Irina, and Jeffrey, the formula is:

Be a total bitch = win Project Runway.
    Possibly, but Wretchen was just a bitch, I hated her clothes. Elena, at least, has the talent to back it up.

vCash
    Most of Gretchen's designs looked like things that might be worn "after the Apocalypse"
    Her attitude fit that concept, also.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Possibly, but Wretchen was just a bitch, I hated her clothes. Elena, at least, has the talent to back it up.
    But why is that talent not showing on the regular season of Project Runway? Her work so far has been sub-par. I need to go back and look at her previous week's work, but I can't think of a single challenge in which she did well. I'm answering my own question I guess, but maybe she can't work under the time constraints on PR.

I have to admit that I was disappointed that she wasn't sent home last night.

vCash
    Because of the show's scheduling vs. date of Fashion Week (and producers' desire to not have show's outcome spoiled), I wish they would allow the final eight competitors to design collections, yes, but have at least 5 or 6 designers be in the running, and then decide who the top 3 will be after the collections are shown. The final tv show could be focused on picking the top 3 from the top 5 or 6 collections shown, and then deciding who wins among the final 3. In that way, more designers (especially those who step it up for collections, but who may not have done as well during the series) have a chance to win it all.

Many of the designers seem to be burnt out after the high intensity emotion and non-stop action of the series. Also, some designers (including Elena) apparently work better when they have more time. Conversely, some of the designers who perform well during the series don't do as well in putting together a cohesive collection. In this respect, Mychael Knight from Season 3 comes to mind.

Elena did seem to learn from some of her design mistakes during the series challenges (and she also likely learned from the collections of past winners, particularly season 1 winner, Jay McCarroll, and the first all star series winner, Daniel Vosovic (whose all-star collection I didn't like, but his styling and cohesiveness made an impact with the judges -- in addition to them wanting to make up for his not winning season 2).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    But why is that talent not showing on the regular season of Project Runway? Her work so far has been sub-par. I need to go back and look at her previous week's work, but I can't think of a single challenge in which she did well. I'm answering my own question I guess, but maybe she can't work under the time constraints on PR.

I have to admit that I was disappointed that she wasn't sent home last night.
    I think it may be a combination of the time constraints, the bizarre and unrealistic challenges, having difficulty working with the other designers, and learning along the way. I still think she is really talented.

vCash
    Judging by her audition pieces and her closet tour, I'll give Elena credit for her technical skill, but I find her aesthetic as repulsive as her personality. I haven't liked one single thing she's made. I do find her hypocrisy somewhat amusing, however, like declaring she hates glitter while wearing a sparkly tank top, or dissing Comrade Snape's sales pitch after asking people if they wanted to buy "crappy t-shirts".

vCash
    ^^ I agree with you, Nomad. I too am not in love with Elena's aesthetic, nor with hardly any of the designs she so far has completed during the season. I also don't like her personality that was on display during the season. However, Elena ultimately seemed to learn from her challenge mistakes. She came up with an eye-catching collection -- the kind of runway show the judges tend to reward. I still find it hard to believe that Elena is winning in the fan favorite voting. I'm surprised that Melissa, Chris, and even Dimitri are not coming in ahead of Elena with fan votes.

Elena seems to be loved by the judges and by the producers (as well as by the fans who have voted for their favorite). With her technical skills and her savvy about putting together a cohesive, thematic collection with catchy styling, Elena may well end up winning PR 10, unless she tanked badly on one of the final challenges, and did not make the top three.

Who might be auf'ed next week I wonder: Fabio, Gunnar, Melissa, Dimitri, Sonjia? Gunnar is not completely awful. Altho' I haven't liked many of his challenge designs, I do enjoy his final collection (except for the strange top with breast patches). Judges seem to like Chris, Ven, and Elena to a fair degree. They also have been impressed by the work of Melissa and Sonjia. Disappointingly, Sonjia and Melissa do not have great overall collections. At least one of them may have made the top three, but I hope not after seeing their collections. On my third look at Chris' collection, I am less enamored of some of his looks, but I think it worked well overall. If he made the top three, Chris might come in second to either Elena or Ven (if they were also contending in the top three).

ETA:
    Re the unibrows on Dimitri's models, I recall Johnny Weir being in a Fashion Week show sometime ago in which the styling involved a similar unibrow look. It was a menswear collection and the look seemed to go with the designs -- and since it was used on men, the unibrow makeup altho' unexpected didn't seem as harsh as the way it looked on Dimitri's models. Dimitri's styling made some of his models look like men and detracted from his designs.

While I wouldn't be interested in wearing anything in Elena's collection, it seems to have a trendy, youthful appeal and the looks work for the runway.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 09-09-2012 at 03:09 PM.

Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast