Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    ITA! The gold fabric really looked beautiful. Strange about Sonjia not making sure her main fabric of choice was in her bag when she left Mood.
    I doubt it was even rung up. If it had been, I suspect the producers would have made sure it got to her. Given the time constraint to get to the register, she may have left it at the cutting table. If she did, that was her mistake.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    A deserved "top two"; although I hope that Dmitry wins the whole thing.

Dmitry's look was beautifully constructed.
    Very fashion-forward and sophisticated; yet not so "far-out" as to be unwearable.
    Except...that was the avant-garde challenge. It wasn't SUPPOSED to be wearable. I thought they all were pretty 'meh' on that mark (remember that dress from the season with Chris March with the GIGANTIC collar? THAT was avant garde.) If you're supposed to go for crazy, go for crazy, not a rejected costume design from Resident Evil. Dmitry could have gone WAY bigger and in something other than navy blue.

I had to give the "black swan" the win (if the judges think THAT'S Victorian, they all fail fashion history FOREVER) as it was the only design that even tried to be outre without looking cheap. In fact I liked it from the minute she hit the pose behind the scrim--yes, there was an element of 'Charlize in 'Snow White and the Huntsman' but at least he was trying. I like Sonjia's IDEA, but it never quite came together. I did not get the love for Melissa's--it looked cheap and thrown-together and while I see where she got the colors from the makeup, they made no sense to me as-used. Fabio's reminded me of a weirdly covered-up take on April ("Bobek") and her black hot pants aesthetic.

ETA: I looked up Dmitry on dancesportinfo--he either never competed at a level where they'd track it, or his name's spelled differently.

vCash
    Too many designers interpret/define avant-garde as weird.
    What I liked about Dmitry's look is that he didn't...and it wasn't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Except...that was the avant-garde challenge. It wasn't SUPPOSED to be wearable. I thought they all were pretty 'meh' on that mark (remember that dress from the season with Chris March with the GIGANTIC collar? THAT was avant garde.) If you're supposed to go for crazy, go for crazy, not a rejected costume design from Resident Evil. Dmitry could have gone WAY bigger and in something other than navy blue.
    That was a great season, and that set of designers knew avant garde. Chris March and Christian Siriano were teamed up and Chris brought the huge almost-drag collar and Christian brought the miles of fabric (and their model even brought the avant garde pose). If I recall correctly, Jillian and her partner made a jacket that was amazing.

I love me some Dmitry, but he should have gone bigger for this challenge. Dude, you had "wise mystic", throw some flowing robes on that b*tch! Kors was right, he's too "severe". (Which probably means the judges are secretly referring to him as Severus Snape, much like the rest of the internet.)

vCash
    Too many designers interpret/define avant-garde as weird.
    IMHO, they need to get rid of the avant-garde challenges, as very few designers each season can actually grasp the concept and make something that is indeed a-v. (Or perhaps try it earlier in the season, to really separate the neophytes from the pros? I dunno......)

Fabio's jacket was conceptually interesting, though completely unflattering. The underdress was just creepy and sad.

I like Melissa's outfit when it finally got to the runway and it moved beautifully....but a-v? You could basically find that stuff already at Barney's.

Dmitry and Christopher clearly had the best designs of the episode......but again, a-v? Hmmmmm.....

Sonjia. LOVE her personality, greatly respect her passion for design, but that green ensemble was God-awful hideous. Michael was VERY snippy in his judgment, but he was right about the haphazard placement of the boob-napkins and the illusion back that just harshly cuts right across at the waist.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Except...that was the avant-garde challenge. It wasn't SUPPOSED to be wearable.
    This is what I thought right when his outfit hit the runway. I don't think anyone would know this was an avant-garde challenge looking at most of the designs, but especially Dmitry's.
    Last edited by duane; 10-05-2012 at 11:34 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by susan6 View Post
    I love me some Dmitry, but he should have gone bigger for this challenge. Dude, you had "wise mystic", throw some flowing robes on that b*tch! Kors was right, he's too "severe". (Which probably means the judges are secretly referring to him as Severus Snape, much like the rest of the internet.)
    Earlier on the judges said Dimitri was too conservative, now he's too severe. I disagree re too severe, except for the eye makeup he used on his Runway Collection models. In any case, Dimitri may have taken the criticisms to heart and unfortunately edged toward "trashy" re a couple of his final runway designs. But still I love him and his work this season.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Well, I thought Dmitri wuzrobbed on the Lord & Taylor episode, certainly should have won, and I was completely tied on the Rockettes episode. So I'm pulling for him now, but apparently his runway collection (from what I remember) was not as stellar.

It reminds me of Viktor, whom I thought was the clear winner all through his season, particularly the last six or so challenges, and then came up short with his final collection.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    The judges send too many mixed messages to the designers.
    I wonder sometimes if they really understand some of the concepts/tasks the contestants are expected to execute.

vCash
    ^^ ITA, skatesindreams. And yep PRLady, I agree there were several challenges Dimitri should have won or at least been in the top three and he was declared "safe" instead. Anyway "coming up short" does seem to happen to a lot of designers who appear to be the clear winners during the season.

Mychael Knight in season 3 comes to mind. Also, Korto in season 5 (altho' Korto did create an excellent collection, she lost in the end to Leanne). I think the difficulties some top designers experience in creating a great runway show are partly due to the intense criticism they receive throughout the series in addition to the wearying, time-limited nature of the challenges, particularly as described in Laura Bennett's blog.

In season 8, Gretchen should have lost to Mondo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    I doubt it was even rung up. If it had been, I suspect the producers would have made sure it got to her. Given the time constraint to get to the register, she may have left it at the cutting table. If she did, that was her mistake.
    Mila Hermanovski weighs in on her PR blog:

"What did actually happen to Sonjiaʼs gold fabric? When we select fabric at Mood, we pay for it, the Mood cashier bags it, and then the producers take all our bags away from us and bring them to Parsons, where they are given back to us. Just sayinʼ..."

If Sonjia had left that gold fabric on the cutting table, there would have been a brief close-up of it lying there after she walked away, I'm sure.

Elena also "lost" some fabric earlier this season, as I recall - the Rockettes challenge? And both times, neither designer had a receipt to refer back to like Kenley when her tulle didn't get put in the bag, allowing her to go back to Mood and get the tulle. I think the producers remove the receipts (and fabric if they want to sabotage a designer) between Mood and Parsons.
    Last edited by Nomad; 10-06-2012 at 10:01 AM.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Just a note for those of you who like to play with makeup: the Enchanted Queen colors are for when you need a dramatic look. Actually the lipstick would work every day, the eyeshadow needs to be saved for night.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    Just a note for those of you who like to play with makeup: the Enchanted Queen colors are for when you need a dramatic look. Actually the lipstick would work every day, the eyeshadow needs to be saved for night.
    Unless you're me, who still channels Siouxsie Sioux. Even in a business suit.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    OK, so who didn't see that coming?

I couldn't have picked who to boot off either, and besides I like all four of those designers as people. (And they seem to like each other, too, the bitchy comments were really at a minimum.)

As usual, I don't get Fabio and can't figure out who would really wear these shapeless clothes. Melissa's stuff I would wear if I were 30 years younger and Chris' I would pass on to my much edgier friend, but Dmitri's white dress I want right now...

vCash
    The only collection of the four that I love is Dmitry's.

He should feel great about Tim's critique.
    That man has taste, style, and sophistication; most importantly he acknowledges/appreciates it in others.
    The judges seem part of a different universe, IMO.

What was Fabio thinking?
    No matter the hand-dyed fabric: the concept and resulting outfits are terrible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    OK, so who didn't see that coming?

I couldn't have picked who to boot off either, and besides I like all four of those designers as people. (And they seem to like each other, too, the bitchy comments were really at a minimum.)

As usual, I don't get Fabio and can't figure out who would really wear these shapeless clothes. Melissa's stuff I would wear if I were 30 years younger and Chris' I would pass on to my much edgier friend, but Dmitri's white dress I want right now...
    No surprise. I couldn't pick one to boot either. I don't get Fabio's clothes either, but I appreciate the creativity. I was surprised that Dimitri didn't get called out on the white dress, that it was so much like the black one he did for a challenge. But, I did love the white dress and would totally wear it! The judges just usually make that sort of comment. I thought is was a mistake for Melissa to do two shorts outfits. One pair was way too short! Loved the leather jacket, though - would wear that too! I thought Chris' was too blah for him. I have a feeling that the rest of his collection will be more true to his style, and that's why they kept him.

The only collection of the four that I love is Dmitry's.

He should feel great about Tim's critique.
    That man has taste, style, and sophistication; most importantly he acknowledges/appreciates it in others.
    The judges seem part of a different universe, IMO.
    Agree, but what universe?

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i could have easily booted fabio. maybe it is creative but it looks really cheap like a theme collection from chico's.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i could have easily booted fabio. maybe it is creative but it looks really cheap like a theme collection from chico's.
    It odes have a Chico's vibe! You nailed it!

Sexy Superhero
    vCash
    I think the only reason they didn't boot Fabio was because his was the only collection (at least what they saw) with any color in it and they wanted some diversity on the final show. But since they couldn't boot him, they had to let everyone stay.

vCash
    Plans were probably to get rid of Melissa or Fabio, but Christopher the chosen one showed 2 skank shorts outfits and the judges were stuck. Can't auf the golden boy and keep "Ropes" when Heidi loved his stuff.

Seriously - X-RAYS? Couldn't he find another way to honor his mom? Or were her bloodwork results still at the lab?

Fabio's stuff was total mid 80's Miami Vice bo ho wear.

Loved Snape's dress, hated the mesh top.

Melissa's wigs were total but I liked pieces of her collection.

Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast