Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

vCash
    If Elena wins this, it will be a "best of the worst" situation, IMO. After looking at them again, I have to say that I wasn't really impressed by any of the final collections; I liked a few pieces from each, but the only two that wowed me were Gunnar and Sonjia, and not in a good way. I suspect that Ven did not make the F3 - his collection included the rose bodice/pleated palazzo pant from episode one, and the pink cocktail dress looks like the one on his website (in red, modeled by ANTM S10's Claire Unabia).
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    ^^ True, the more I look, the more I become underwhelmed overall by the collections of this season's designers. That said, I still think that most PR designers are completely burnt out by the end of the often ridiculous time-limited challenges they have to endure day-in and day-out. This situation has happened before on PR where even the best designers come up with underwhelming hit and miss collections likely due to being traumatized by the season's judging and simply being burnt out and uninspired.

Still, Elena's and Ven's collections are the most memorable. And the others have some interesting looks and some ghastly looks. Gunnar took chances and came up with a cohesive collection, but not a PR winner and he is unlikely to be in the top three. Chris has a good collection for the most part, especially in comparison to the scattered hit and misses of Sonjia and Melissa, the somewhat pretty but underwhelming collection of Fabio, and the disappointing mistakes made by Dimitri.

vCash
    You never know who the judges will choose.
    Sometimes their ideas of what is worthy are very different from ours.

vCash
    The problem I have with Ven and Elena's collections (Elena's in particular) is that they seemed very one-way monkey. One basic idea repeated 8-10 times, with slight variations. And Ven's? Shiny fabrigami, a rose is a rose is a rozzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
    Last edited by Nomad; 09-09-2012 at 07:33 PM.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

Sexy Superhero
    vCash
    I agree with Snape's win last night, but Sonjia was a close second. It was fun to see all the families.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    so happy for snape's win!

sonja's looked nice on the model but 99.99% of all humans would look ridiculous in those pants. for proof, checkout brady bunch reruns.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    so happy for snape's win!

sonja's looked nice on the model but 99.99% of all humans would look ridiculous in those pants. for proof, checkout brady bunch reruns.
    I wanted the shirt, not the slacks, but Sanji did a good job on them. Dmitri SO deserved this win, oh do I want that outfit and I hate prints.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Mondo made Brady Bunch outfits during his entire PR season and it seemed everyone loved his designs.

I thought Sonjia's pants were loud without being overwhelming, and they worked because (unlike what Mondo would have done) she didn't mix them with a printed top. I'm glad Dimitri finally won a competition, but thought Sonjia more deserved the win.

vCash
    Glad Dimitri won. In my opinion, there was no one else even close.

Sonjia's was good, but DVF has done it for a long time and better.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Dmitry's jacket was amazing. Sonjia's was very elegant. Loved the top more than the pants, but the pants were a beautiful fit and flow.

Gunnar's was totally Maxinista.

Ven is one trick pony at this point. Right now, I don't think he's really in the running for F3 unless he comes up with more than what he has shown so far. But his clothes would probably sell well at Lord & Taylor, which is part of the prize.
    Last edited by Rob; 09-14-2012 at 04:21 PM.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    I'm glad for Dmitry, also.

Tim's comments to Ven were distasteful. insulting and totally unworthy of him.
    "menstrual blood -maxi pads".
    That's not what I saw at all.
    It's the first time that I haven't loved Tim.

I believe that Ven was really shaken by the comments.
    After having something that was intended to reflect my cultural/religious heritage denigrated, I would have been.
    I wish that he had continued with his original plan, in spite of them.
    No wonder the "replacement" look didn't reflect his best work.

That the judges/Tim continued mocking him, laughing and joking at his expense, disgusted me.
    I hope Ven never heard the worst of their comments.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    yeah, it is valid if tim didnt like where the orig dress was going but i stil dont get the maxi pad reference (also it's 2012, i know they still sell them but still, no wonder ven was confused by it)
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Yay for Snape for finally winning a challenge; his outfit was awesome. How were the panels on the jacket held together? Some sort of invisible mesh? Leviosa spell?

I did feel bad for Ven after Tim's comments....harsh! And, uh, kind of gross! But...on the other hand...it's Ven. Dude needs to be taken down a few pegs. When his sister came in, my initial catty reaction was to wonder if he'd ever deigned to design anything for her, since she's the "wrong" body type.

Elena's print was fugly. What was its inspiration again?

vCash
    Tim's comments to Ven were distasteful. insulting and totally unworthy of him.
    "menstrual blood -maxi pads".
    That's not what I saw at all.
    It's the first time that I haven't loved Tim.

I saw it right away. And then on the new dress, as the model walked toward the camera, it looked like gunshot wounds. Ven looked very shaken, I don't think he ever had such strong comments from anyone about his designs, ever. But Tim HAS said not nice things before to everyone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGirlCanSkate View Post
    But Tim HAS said not nice things before to everyone.
    I will never forget what he said to Nick about the blonde model reject from Zulema's "mutha-f*cking walk-off": She looks like an elongated marshmallow.

vCash
    I saw it right away. And then on the new dress, as the model walked toward the camera, it looked like gunshot wounds. Ven looked very shaken, I don't think he ever had such strong comments from anyone about his designs, ever. But Tim HAS said not nice things before to everyone.
    When I first looked at it, I thought the dress design was better suited to an unconventional materials challenge where they just tack sh!t on to muslin. Ven didn't even attempt to work with his print until he was challenged, then he just did what he always does. Everyone else had to align and match the print... not Ven.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by susan6 View Post
    Elena's print was fugly. What was its inspiration again?
    it looked like the ukrainian flag w doo dads on it

vCash

Yeah, something was not right with that.

And we must remember that Tim does not actually know exactly what a used maxi pad looks like. It was a simile meant to convey to Ven that it looked like fresh blood on something and probably came to Tim because it was red on white.

vCash
    PR claims to want designers with a considerable skillset and a definite POV; along with the ability to produce/execute same.
    Ven has that, in spades.
    Whether you like his choices, or not; his abilities should be respected.

Most of the "judges" probably couldn't produce garments of the quality of his in one day.
    (If you haven't read Laura Bennett's blogpost about the challenges of working on PR, you should.)

No one criticized Chanel, Dior, Valentino , etc for "trademark features"/details constantly used in their designs.

I note that Ven "dialed back" much of the detail in his final collection.
    Was it a response to these "critiques"?
    If so, it's a shame; because doing so removed much of what made/makes him unique.

It saddens me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by susan6 View Post
    But...on the other hand...it's Ven. Dude needs to be taken down a few pegs.
    My sentiments exactly.

Page 20 of 33 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast