Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ageless View Post
    Another one here who thinks that Dmitry was robbed. I thought that dress was totally consistent with the other 9 L&T dresses.

I'm at a loss as to why either Elena's or Melissa's dresses were in the top…

I'm not surprised that Christopher's dress won. I thought the top three would be Christopher, Fabio and Dmitry. Well, two out of three isn't too bad I guess.
    I.T.A.

Judges, Frankly, I'm getting bored by your weekly refusal to recognize and give credit - award a deserved win - to the most consistently interesting designer there. When you do the same thing every week, well… I've seen it; it's time to move on.

And Melissa and Eliana's dresses in the top, as well as Sanjia's faux-80s monstrosity being safe over Gunnar's somewhat dull but perfectly nice cocktail dress, has convinced me for all time that while the judges may not see specific footage of the workroom, they are absolutely being primed by production staff.

Kind of ironic - Fabio, Christopher, and Dimitry are the only three I have any interest in seeing collections from.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ageless View Post
    Another one here who thinks that Dmitry was robbed. I thought that dress was totally consistent with the other 9 L&T dresses.

I'm at a loss as to why either Elena's or Melissa's dresses were in the top. While Melissa's was more consistent with the challenge, the execution was hideous, and I can't imagine anyone wanting to wear it. I'm really surprised she wasn't called out on it considering how the judges have done that in the past. Elena's didn't fit the challenge and besides that was just ugly.
    ITA!
    Sometimes I wonder what the judges are seeing: not the same thing I do.

vCash
    Yeah, I'm annoyed at Comrade Snape consistently getting ignored. His dress was awesome. The only reason I can possibly think of for him winding up in the middle is that perhaps his dress was too similar to Korto's (the grey one in the collection they were shown).

At this point, maybe he needs to forgo the "elegant, tasteful, well-made" theme and bust out the Belorussian Ballroom fashion in order to get noticed. Fire up the bedazzler and go crazy with the sequins and fringe. Heidi will probably approve; she freely admitted to wearing a pink disco ball last night.

Poor Snape has to put up with being in a team with Elena next week. She's earned another excellent nickname courtesy of Tom and Lorenzo: "Insane in the Ukraine".

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I thought Dmitri's looked better finished than when he was showing it to Tim, but I don't think it's as generally wearable (by a variety of customer body types) as some of the others. I liked Christopher's and figured he'd win as he put the most thought into "What is this collection missing?" (hint: not another cocktail dress, let alone a black one) and while his design's safe in the extreme, he also thought about how to explain the feathering as part of an affordable-to-produce dress, and it IS safe. It's wearable and the way the skirt flows it's a little more forgiving than some of the others. L&T will sell that dress and know it. (Which is a vast improvement over that "sellable" challenge Wretchen won...)

"A cocktail waitress from The Hunger Games", *snort*, that's a good word for it. My bottom three would have been Elena, Melissa, and Smurf-Hair, and I probably would have suggested sending Elena home. Melissa's is unwearable by anyone not model-sized and it's not easy to make for ANYONE, Smurf-Girl's is equally unwearable by anyone whose stomach isn't concave (bad for a dress that has to be sold to non-models) but at least she didn't do a garbage-bag cutout that makes a 5'10 100lbs-soaking-wet girl look eight months pregnant.

And that would spare us the Russian soap opera next week. And probably a few gray hairs for Dimitri.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    is christopher's more wearable with the big hole in the back?
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Who can't wear an open-back dress? Especially one with the cutout so high. If anything that saves it from being too closed up and shows a little skin without being slutty. And sleeves, hallelujah. (The world needs about 99% fewer sleeveless dresses, and 100% fewer sleeveless strapless wedding dresses.) The skirt's a lot more wearable than Bert's, which I do like in general, and a little less matronly than Chris's (which I can only assume feels more luxe in person, because on the L&T website it reads kind of beach-mumu-y.) Slots neatly between the other two long gowns in the collection, which is otherwise overloaded with either skintight or A-line cocktail dresses in largely muted colors (except Nick's bright blue.) They already have a tight structural gray one.

(And yes, I'd buy it, except I can tell even without trying it on it would have the same problem every single off-the-rack dress does for me, the waist would be somewhere around my high hip because I'm extremely short-waisted. I basically have to have someone make me a formal or have a dress completely taken apart and altered.)

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    there's no place for a bra and it doesnt look supportive enough in the front for anyone with more than an a cup. those little cutlet bras people stick on dont work for me.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I would have been OK with them not declaring a loser had they also not declared a winner. I would have made them do the challenge over again. With the exception of Dmitri, the dresses were funeral, futuristic funeral, and done before.

Christopher's dress bored me and honestly, I don't know where you would wear it. It wasn't fun or flirty or sexy enough to be a cocktail dress. It wasn't spectacular or special or glamorous enough to wear to an event where a long dress would be called for. It was stuck completely in the middle. Unless you're Meryl Streep trying to dress decently for the Oscars or to a night garden party for Elton John in the 80s, where in the hell would you wear that? Since this was one of the practicality challenges, I think that should have been a major component.

I didn't particularly like his dress, but if Dmitry couldn't have won, it should have been Fabio. At least his dress could be accessorized up or down (which IMO is the great advantage of cocktail dresses) and could be worn by a lot of different women of different sizes and ages to different functions.

I am also going to reiterate for the millionth time on the PR threads until I get my way :tantrum: PR needs to have two different shows: one that's editorial/fashion forward with the core three as judges, and one that's ready-to-wear/practical with judges not from the high-fashion world.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    What a disappointing episode. Comrade Snape gets robbed yet again; Elena makes a hideous mess and gets praised for it; Melissa gets in the top 4 for something that maybe 5% of the female population can wear; Alicia proves once again that dresses aren't her thing (why did she even apply?); Christopher wins for a boring dress using a technique he shouldn't have used again (and he knew it before he started!)....meh. And all that black...They should have a challenge where the designers are forbidden to use black.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    Well, from what I could see, they had a small collection of fabric from which to choose.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

vCash
    They were,
    The manufacturer supplied the fabrics available to them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    Really? Melissa's side peep show dress was in the top? Elena's 'dress' looked like a garbage bag wrapped in pleather and was in the top? Snape goes into the back as safe? I call producer shenanigans!

And how the hell does Christoper win with that crappy feathered mess that tossed a skinny model's boobs down to her waist? Ugh.

I am happy with Ven getting tossed into the back with what used to drive the judges into spasms. Have the feeling that with the way he treated last week's 'plus' sized real woman that no female over skeleton size would wear his 'twist by a rose' tired design.
    ITA!!

Christopher's dress was blah to me. I felt so bad for the model having to be shown on tv with her boobs down to her waist.

Fabio's designs are meh, he bores me. Why was he wearing a wreath of flowers on his head? I think that might be more interesting than any of his designs so far.

And Ven did that stupid twisty thing AGAIN???

Elena's dress was not attractive. It looked like she belted a piece of black material, cut out the back and had the model wear a sports bra.

I'm worried about Snape being put in a group with Elena and Alicia. Neither has been that great. I hope he didn't choose them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post

Of course he did. Fabrigami is his trademark. That (and the fact that he is a man) makes him a "strong designer".

Elena's dress was not attractive. It looked like she belted a piece of black material, cut out the back and had the model wear a sports bra.
    That dress was just heinous. Ugly, bulky, sloppy, stiff...what woman in her right mind would want to wear that? And why did the judges call that mess "fun, young, etc."?

I'm worried about Snape being put in a group with Elena and Alicia. Neither has been that great. I hope he didn't choose them.
    Do the producers have some kind of hate-on for Comrade Snape? They must, although I can't think why. And I can't imagine that he would have chosen either Alicia or Elena as team-mates. Alicia seems to have no obvious strengths (tailoring, construction, pattern-making, etc.) and Elena has already proved that not only is she not a team player, but has an unwearable aesthetic, and is an uncompromising, batshit crazy drama queen to boot.
    Last edited by Nomad; 09-01-2012 at 08:41 PM.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    there's no place for a bra and it doesnt look supportive enough in the front for anyone with more than an a cup. those little cutlet bras people stick on dont work for me.
    Halter straps (VS has at least two bras with change-out straps for open-back gowns) or just have one sewn in. Easy fix. A LOT easier than the bodyhugging cocktails, which can only be worn by a size 0-2 without looking bad, IF she doesn't have much in the way of hips. (And sometimes not even then-some of these designers make the clothes so tight you can see what the model ate for breakfast.)

Good to wear for any event for a full-length dress if you're someone who doesn't want shiny fabric or something you can't sit in. I could have used it for my vacation for the formal evening (I ended up having a gown made because I couldn't find anything I liked.)

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i havent found any of those sort of bras to fit well in the front so far. but even if it did, i still think it looks like a formal dress for the prom at the salem witch trials.

vCash
    The "Hunger Games" analogy, upthread, applies.

vCash
    Ahhh, Dimitry (Comrade Snape) ... I hope you win it all. Dimitry is by far the most consistent designer. He should have won at least twice by now. And, he should have been in the top at least two or three times when he was called "safe."

I hope Snape triumphs over what looks like a bad teaming for him in the next challenge.

ITA with the poster who said that Fabio is looking like a dark horse.

My faves are Dimitry, Chris and Sonji (altho' she seems to be falling apart), so alternatively Melissa and Fabio.

vCash
    Poor Dmitry. His dress was the clear winner, by far. Why can't the judges see what we see? They're pissing me off......next week looks like it's going to be an absolute disaster and if he gets ousted before Elena and/or Alicia I won't be watching anymore.

Christopher's dress looks like something like Lady Grantham might have slept in. It was horrible and how it won remains a mystery.

I like Melissa's idea, but it wasn't well executed.

Ven's dress was just strange......that flower looked like a growth coming out of her chest.

Fabio's was ok......the only other dress that should have been in the top.

The drama with Songi....uhhh....that suit looked so matronly.

Elena's looked really strange from the back, almost like a suit of armor. I didn't like this at all.....what were the judges thinking?

Alicia should have gone home weeks ago. Gunnar's wasn't all that bad. I thought there were worse.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    I'd have sent Elena home. Alicia's dress was bad, but at least it didn't add 40 lbs to the model. And I could see that she was trying do a sports-type update of Chanel ca. 1925. Elena didn't really know what she was going for and it showed. Gunnar's dress was a whole lot of nothing - a mini-tube dress with a lace overlay. Yawn. The only thing I remember about Sonjia's dress is that it had a gray peplum.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post

At least it looked well made. I do not understand the fascination with Christopher
    's messy shreddy thing again and again.

Dmitry was totally robbed of the win.
    Last edited by Rob; 09-02-2012 at 02:52 PM.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast