Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash

Gift ideas for homebound friend?

So my friend with pancreatic cancer is still kicking. But he's super-weak from the chemo and can't go out much. And when the pain gets too bad, he locks himself in his room so he doesn't get snippy at his family.

We're trying to think of what we could send him to keep his mind busy and entertained. He can't even watch TV anymore because of the food commercials. They make him depressed over what he can't eat anymore.

Any ideas?

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    You can get him a tv series he likes on DVD so there won't be commercials.

Does he have any hobbies that he can do on the computer?
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    You can get him a tv series he likes on DVD so there won't be commercials.

Does he have any hobbies that he can do on the computer?
    Hmm, I know he used to play Minecraft, but I don't know if he still does. Not sure if he's into TV series (or whether he'd want them in French or English) but I will consult mutual friends and find out.

vCash
    Does he enjoy music? Perhaps some favorite music CDs and a radio/CD player?

vCash
    You might consider a "get our of jail" day with appropriate equipment and support. Lots of hospice organizations offer them. He picks the activity, and they set up the rest. It's not inexpensive, so it might be a good group gift.

Another nice thing might be getting a go box from his favorite restaurant. Even if he has a small appetite, the smells and companionship might be a nice gift. Read Roger Ebert's book for inspiration on enjoying food without eating it.
    Last edited by Aceon6; 12-16-2012 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Clarified
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I like the ideas that people have already given in this thread. I'm assuming that all types of food/beverages are out given the limits you mentioned. One other thing I've sometimes given to friends in similar situation is a lap quilt or throw. I think the main thing that really helps in this situation is his knowing that you are thinking about him so even more than a gift a card with a nice handwritten message will be a wonderful gift. If you have any pictures that are meaningful to him or that you'd think he'd enjoy, send along copies (or even do a photobook on one of the sites like shutterfly or snapfish).
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Sorry for the stupid question, but can he write? Puzzle books might be a good distraction. There are so many different types that he's sure to find something.

ETA I don't know how weak he is.

vCash
    I am so sorry for your friend. I wonder if something simple, like flowers may cheer him up?

Can he still read? What about buying him books that may cheer him up, or be philosophical (if he has that inclination)?

vCash
    An e-reader might be nice as he wouldn't have to go out to purchase a new book, and they're so light it's easy to hold even when feeling weak. (((Anita's friend)))

vCash
    What about making him a cd of famous comedy routines? Anything that can get a smile would go a long ways and it helps with the pain. (I know a strange kind of an idea, but...)

vCash
    An e-reader would also allow him to get audio books. That is a great Idea Lara.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pat c View Post
    What about making him a cd of famous comedy routines? Anything that can get a smile would go a long ways and it helps with the pain. (I know a strange kind of an idea, but...)
    Combine this with the audiobook idea and get him some Dave Barry audiobooks. They are SO much fun.

Praying for your friend.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash

Gift ideas for homebound friend?

Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    An e-reader would also allow him to get audio books. That is a great Idea Lara.
    Unfortunately most newest ereader models don't tend to do audiobooks (the Nook Simple Touch doesn't and I don't believe the Kindle Paperwhite does) so that's something she'd have to look out for.

vCash
    What about a subscription to netflix? He can watch online. Lots of tv, movies, series etc and no commercials.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    Unfortunately most newest ereader models don't tend to do audiobooks (the Nook Simple Touch doesn't and I don't believe the Kindle Paperwhite does) so that's something she'd have to look out for.
    Maybe a group of friends can chip in for an iPad.

vCash
    I know my mom really liked things like throws, which could help keep her warm. She especially liked ones that were very soft.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    What about time? When I was home recovering from surgery, some friends came with food, had lunch or dinner w me and visited. Also had bought food that was great leftover (pizza, Chinese). The company was much appreciated.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I could be wrong, but hasn't your friend returned home to France? That may make a difference as far as folk's suggestions.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    I am currently undergoing chemo, & have days when i'm house bound. I find music very soothing/relaxing. A friend knitted me a prayer shawl, which is thick & warm, & which i carry with me almost everywhere. Notes & cards are very nice. If your friend is a spiritual person, one of the best things for me was when a friend stopped by to pray with me.

My boyfriend got me a Roku, which is like an apple tv but less expensive. It lets you watch streaming content on your tv. I can watch netflix on it (no commercials), & it comes with a remote so i don't have to get up to change what i'm watching. It also picks up pandora, which i love to have playing when i'm napping. Someone sent flowers once, & that was really appreciated too.

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend!

vCash
    Prayers offered for you too, backspin.

Anita18, has your friend tried pumpkin? Two of my friends, when they were having chemo and couldn't eat much, loved it -- it tasted good and would stay down pretty well. I'm not talking straight pumpkin, I mean basically pumpkin pie without the crust. Like a pudding almost. (I'm sorry, I'm sleepy and not describing this very well.)
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast