Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Thanks for this thread. I always use this as a guideline as to what I should check out. Lots of good info here. And, I just got finished watching all of Revenge episodes on Hulu. I love it......no nods, though.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    "Sherlock"!

I'm glad they finally realized that Michelle Dockery deserved the Lead Actress nom in "DA". Not that McGovern had much to do in Season 2.........

IMHO, RuPaul wuzrobbed of a Best Reality Host nom.

Uncle Dick's Beyotch!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Homeland Best show on TV.
    AMEN! Season 1 has been over for months, and it's still having an impact on me. Can't wait for Season 2. \

The drama categories are tough. I would love to see Michelle Dockery and Clare Danes get it. And as much as I think Jon Hamm is overdue, I wouldn't be upset if Damian Lewis went home with the Emmy!

Uncle Dick's Beyotch!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveRinger View Post
    Thanks for this thread. I always use this as a guideline as to what I should check out. Lots of good info here. And, I just got finished watching all of Revenge episodes on Hulu. I love it......no nods, though.
    Revenge is one of those shows that, while I adore it, I'm OK with it not getting nominations. It's juicy and fun, but doesn't have the necessary gravitas to make it in the drama category IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kylet3 View Post
    Was also hoping Two Broke Girls might have gotten something but they were shut out as well.
    OMG. That show is DREADFUL. The acting is some of the worst that I have ever seen on television. Unless it got better as the season went on, but I watched the first few episodes, and I thought it should have been given the old heave ho.
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

vCash
    Yet Harrys Law does?

Meh

Where is Kelly Macdonald for Broadwalk Empire? Katey Sagal for Sons of Anarchy? What about The Killing. Looks like that got dumped. And whoever said Downton Abbey's second season was soapy is exactly right. Did you Americans get shown Call the Midwife in the US? British series about midwives in the 1950s as otherwise that really should have been nominated.

But I love the Girls nomination and hope it wins. Love that show.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercrush View Post
    Yet Harrys Law does?

Meh

Where is Kelly Macdonald for Broadwalk Empire? Katey Sagal for Sons of Anarchy? What about The Killing. Looks like that got dumped. And whoever said Downton Abbey's second season was soapy is exactly right. Did you Americans get shown Call the Midwife in the US? British series about midwives in the 1950s as otherwise that really should have been nominated.

But I love the Girls nomination and hope it wins. Love that show.
    It was too bad Katey Sagal was left off and the HBO's Treme as well, just not enough openings I guess.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercrush View Post
    And whoever said Downton Abbey's second season was soapy is exactly right.
    It was. But I actually preferred it to the first season. It was more honest about what it was, if you know what I mean. It was like it declared, "Yes, we're a soap, and doggone it, we're going to enjoy being a soap!"
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Parks & Recreation getting snubbed for Best Comedy. Hmph.

vCash
    The guy who played Ginsburg on Mad Men got a Guest Actor nomination? He was a fine addition to the cast, but he barely did anything!

vCash
    I (and many of my friends) are over Uma Thurman's nomination for Smash. I'm assuming no one saw it and just read that it was Uma Thurman? Because no, just no.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    I (and many of my friends) are over Uma Thurman's nomination for Smash. I'm assuming no one saw it and just read that it was Uma Thurman? Because no, just no.
    I had the same thought! Seems the Emmys and Tonys suffer from the same problem. Get an Oscar nominee to be on or in your show and they automatically get an award nomination! They deigned to step down from their perch! Congratulate them with trophies!

I'm ever so happy about all the Downton Abbey nods, I don't care that Season 2 wasn't as good as Season 1. And I think Maggie Smith should win simply because she's Maggie Smith. Just sayin'.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    The guy who played Ginsburg on Mad Men got a Guest Actor nomination? He was a fine addition to the cast, but he barely did anything!
    That one speech about being born in concentration camp probably did it! Maybe his anger toward Don helped. True that he didn't do a lot. Happens all the time with these Emmy faves.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerstage01 View Post

I'm ever so happy about all the Downton Abbey nods, I don't care that Season 2 wasn't as good as Season 1. And I think Maggie Smith should win simply because she's Maggie Smith. Just sayin'.

I'm thrilled for the Downton nominations too.

Also thrilled about the nominations for Hatfields and McCoys.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

Blergh
    vCash
    I just rewatched the season finale of Damages season 4 again and Rose Byrne could have been a strong contender for the Emmy had she been nominated. Hate that the actors on that show were snubbed.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I'm actually surprised that Nick Cannon didn't get a hosting nomination. He's the best part of America's Got Talent, and actually interacts with the acts and isn't scared to make an ass of himself. Never would have thought I'd say that about him when I first heard he got the gig.

It annoys me when shows like Downton Abbey (last year) and American Horror Story get nominated for miniseries yet are multiple-season shows. Aren't mini-series supposed to be just that - mini-series? Not shows with a few episodes per season, but multiple seasons? IMO if you're in a miniseries category you should only be up for awards one year and that's it - kind of like the Tony awards.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    It annoys me when shows like Downton Abbey (last year) and American Horror Story get nominated for miniseries yet are multiple-season shows. Aren't mini-series supposed to be just that - mini-series? Not shows with a few episodes per season, but multiple seasons? IMO if you're in a miniseries category you should only be up for awards one year and that's it - kind of like the Tony awards.
    I believe the reason Downton was in the mini-series category last year was because that's what it was originally supposed to be, wasn't it? But it was so popular that they decided to bring it back?

And American Horror Story is included because it's classified as an "anthology series" - each season will feature one self-contained storyline, and the next will have a new cast, new characters and so on. Still, I understand why it annoys people - it's basically just a technicality being used to avoid tougher competition.

Anyways, as for my thoughts, the biggest shocker of the nominations for me was Neil Marshall being left out of the drama director category for the "Blackwater" episode of Game of Thrones. I remember after the episode aired, many people immediately made him the odds-on-favourite to win and now he's not even nominated. I was also kind of hoping that GRRM could get a nod for writing it, or Lena Headey/Maisie Williams (the former in particular) for supporting actress, but no dice.

On the other hand, I'm thrilled about:
    1) All the Sherlock love - 13 nominations in total, including all the big categories (mini/movie, writing, directing, leading and supporting actor). The only slight disappointment for me is that, since they only submitted "A Scandal in Belgravia", Andrew Scott was ineligible to be nominated for his terrific Moriarty - he would have been a darkhorse anyway, but the love shown to the rest of the show makes me think he could have at least had a shot.

and

2) Michelle Dockery being up for lead actress - I agree with others that Season 2 of Downton was somewhat disappointing but she was easily the MVP for me, and it was really annoying me that all the predictions I had seen seemed to think that Elizabeth McGovern would get in before her.

Also, it was a good day to be Lena Dunham or Louis CK yesterday - Dunham was nominated as writing, director, actress, and producer for Girls, while CK picked up seven nominations in total between Louie and his stand-up special. Damn.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I just rewatched the season finale of Damages season 4 again and Rose Byrne could have been a strong contender for the Emmy had she been nominated. Hate that the actors on that show were snubbed.
    I'm behind on my Damages watching, but she is so consistently underrated. She's absolutely fantastic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    This is something I have talked a out before that drives me crazy with the Emmys and that is if some Oscar nominated or movie actress decides to "slum it
    " on tv they automatically get nominated or win. uma doesn't even remotely deserve this nom bases on the work of Kelly Macdonals or Katey Sagal and I would guess many others.

Blergh
    vCash
    Was she that bad on Smash?
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast