Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    She didn't elevate the material at all IMO. This is a totally bogus nomination. If she wins, that will be even more nauseating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    She didn't elevate the material at all IMO. This is a totally bogus nomination. If she wins, that will be even more nauseating.
    I saw her episode and agree. It's a very poorly written show anyway and she did nothing to help. IMO the only actor that elevates the material of the show is Megan Hilty, but the writing of her character was horrid.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    Betty White is everywhere!
    That she is and Thank God for it too!! That Birthday special was beyond hysterical. I lost count of how many times I laughed so hard I was crying.

I'm happy that Who Do You Think You Are? was nominated. I love that show and I'm constantly surprised but what they are able to uncover.
    Really? I still haven't seen the full listing of nominations yet, but YES!!! This Season really was the best since the series started. I wonder which episode was chosen by Lisa Kudrow and her team to send in? I'd think that one where Rita Wilson went looking for more information on her Dad's Family and discovered her long lost Great Uncle would be one of the ones under consideration.

I'm surprised The Good Wife wasn't nominated for Best Drama or for Best Writing. They did get a bunch of acting nominations, including guest actors. The show is very well acted, but I think it's more than acting that makes the show so great.
    All of that and more!! I remember Juliana being on Anderson and talking about how Matthew Perry talked to her at some event about how much he loved the show and wanted to be on it and when he came in for his first day of shooting? He looked at her and asked, "How the *bleep* do you learn all this law stuff and be able to say it naturally day after day?"

It really is one of the great shows on TV right now.

I'm glad to see Connie Britton get a nomination because I thought she was robbed when she was on Friday Night Lights.
    That's one bandwagon that's got an awful lot of members on it.

Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    I floved "Game Change". Really well acted, no matter what your politics, so some great noms there. Who knew Woody Harrleson had those kind of acting chops when he started on 'Cheers'?
    Tell me about it!! If asked when Cheers came to an end who I thought would end up being the one who would end up having such great range and ablility in such different roles, I never would have picked Woody. It really is something, isn't it?

Shame Charles Dance didn't get a nod for his work in "Game of Thrones". Loved his Tywin Lannister this season, he's added lots of grey shading to that character and his interactions with Maisie Williams (Arya) were fun to watch.
    This is the down thing about me being in this thread. I'm in the process of reading Game of Thrones for the very first time and don't want to watch Season One until I do. My cousin's husband and my Uncle have both been gloating a bit over this, as they've been trying to get me to read them for a long time now. Their arguement being, "You love LOTR, you'll love Game of Thrones just as much!!"

Took the TV Series for me to pick it up, but now I have a hard time putting it down. Actually, I haven't picked it up for a few days now, as I was so horrified and then angered by...

Spoiler

Trying to avoid being spoiled OTOH, especially w/my family, is another thing entirely. I can pretty much avoid it online, but a determined cadre of relatives taking perverse pleasure in teasing me w/taunts of this and that? Totally different!!

Quote Originally Posted by CynicElle View Post
    And really excited for Sherlock!
    As am I!! This will be quite the warm up event for both actors leading into Hobbit promotion season.

vCash
    Also, Amy Farrah Fowler

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Also, Amy Farrah Fowler
    I haaaaaaated the Amy Farrah Fowler character the first season she was added to the show (like, so much), but she was hilarious and one of the best parts of all of this most recent season.

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Damages was robbed for a few nominations. I thought Rose Byrne would have secured a nomination and Chris Messina and Dylan Baker should have received one as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    I'm surprised The Good Wife wasn't nominated for Best Drama or for Best Writing. They did get a bunch of acting nominations, including guest actors. The show is very well acted, but I think it's more than acting that makes the show so great.
    I was surprised as well regarding The Good Wife. At least they got some acting noms. I was especially happy to see some of the classic reoccuring guest characters get noms (Martha Plimpton's Patty Nyholm, Dylan Baker's Colin Sweeney, and Michael J. Fox's Louis Canning). Anytime one (or more ) of these characters show up in an episode I know I am in for a treat!

I've been watching season 4 of Damages this week and I agree that Dylan Baker was great. I was worried he was going to forever be creepy Colin Sweeney to me, but he soon had me forgetting about that (even though both characters are creepy).

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    It was too bad Katey Sagal was left off and the HBO's Treme as well, just not enough openings I guess.
    Totally agree about Katey Segal. She is fantastic on Sons of Anarchy. I really thought with Breaking Bad getting so much recognition, SoA might as well this season. I will laugh and laugh if Sheldon and Amy Farrah Fowler both win.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Thrilled for Sherlock, love both Cumberbatch and Freeman, but I really want Giancarlo Esposito to win for supporting actor on Breaking Bad. He was just terrifying and amazing in that role and deserves some wider recognition for his extreme level of awesomeness.

Bryan Cranston can chill and skip an Emmy, cause I want Cumberbatch to take that one. Now I need to go back and watch more Sherlock.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by screech View Post
    But I was happy to see Mayim Bialik there. Big Bang Theory isn't that amazing, but Amy Farrah Fowler is awesome. I really hope they use her 'I'm a princess!' scene where Sheldon gives her a tiara for her clip.
    YES. It will never not be funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzH53...ure=plpp_video

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HisWeirness View Post
    I was surprised as well regarding The Good Wife. At least they got some acting noms. I was especially happy to see some of the classic reoccuring guest characters get noms (Martha Plimpton's Patty Nyholm, Dylan Baker's Colin Sweeney, and Michael J. Fox's Louis Canning). Anytime one (or more ) of these characters show up in an episode I know I am in for a treat!
    I've been watching season 4 of Damages this week and I agree that Dylan Baker was great. I was worried he was going to forever be creepy Colin Sweeney to me, but he soon had me forgetting about that (even though both characters are creepy).
    Ita but no nominations for Elspeth. I would love to see her as a regular cast member.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Scintillation View Post
    Bryan Cranston can chill and skip an Emmy, cause I want Cumberbatch to take that one. Now I need to go back and watch more Sherlock.
    Actually, they could both win - Sherlock was submitted as a TV movie, for "A Scandal in Belgravia", while Breaking Bad is of course in the drama series category.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyN View Post
    I believe the reason Downton was in the mini-series category last year was because that's what it was originally supposed to be, wasn't it? But it was so popular that they decided to bring it back?
    IIRC season 2 of Downton was already airing (or at least filming) in the UK at the time of last year's Emmys, which is why I was so annoyed by it last year. I love Maggie Smith, but she took away the miniseries supporting actress award that Evan Rachel Wood deserved.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Was she that bad on Smash?
    It wasnt that she was bad even though the material was. It's just it wasn't that rich or deep of a character and it wasn't a difficult part to play. She was basically a Hollywood diva. She barely even sang and danced on this show. If anyone was to get a nomination it was definitely Hilty who rose above the material and managed to bring about a character who was believable in her contradictions.
    My biggest beef is that actors shouldnt just be nominated over others because they are deemed on a higher rung of the show business ladder. I.e movie actor vs tv actor. Thank god that is slowly starting to change with more and more film actors seeking out roles in TV because the material is better than most films. specially for women.
    People like to crap on tv but there is some amazing stuff on right noe. Sherlock the show was superior by far to the Film. Different in tone notwithstanding.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chantilly View Post
    It wasnt that she was bad even though the material was. It's just it wasn't that rich or deep of a character and it wasn't a difficult part to play. She was basically a Hollywood diva. She barely even sang and danced on this show. If anyone was to get a nomination it was definitely Hilty who rose above the material and managed to bring about a character who was believable in her contradictions.
    My biggest beef is that actors shouldnt just be nominated over others because they are deemed on a higher rung of the show business ladder. I.e movie actor vs tv actor. Thank god that is slowly starting to change with more and more film actors seeking out roles in TV because the material is better than most films. specially for women.
    People like to crap on tv but there is some amazing stuff on right noe. Sherlock the show was superior by far to the Film. Different in tone notwithstanding.
    ITA about Sherlock and you left me with a question: We seem to be talking about a lot of people we would have liked to receive a nomination but didn't and very few people (like Uma) who were nominated but perhaps not deservedly so. My question: Are we watching an embarrassment of riches on tv? Is the reason so many people were left off the list because there were so many good programs and performances to choose from? Or do you feel it was an average or "meh" year for tv?

vCash
    I've been feeling for a while that television writing has surpassed film especially cable shows.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I read that Madonna's Super Bowl half-time show got one or two Emmy nods? Wheee!!! I've been watching clips of her MDNA tour on utube. She got some really great choreographic pieces in there.

vCash
    I forgot to mention, no Emmy nod for Robert Carlyle on Once Upon a Time. Too bad. Maybe another year, I hope.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Surprised at the lack of noms for shows like "Two Broke Girls" and "Happy Endings" which, IMO, is one of the most underrated shows on TV today.

I wish Megan Hilty would have gotten a supporting actress nom for SMASH, because she was brilliant, but I wonder if some of the erratic writing on that show last season tarnished her character a bit in the eyes of the Emmy voters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    I wish Megan Hilty would have gotten a supporting actress nom for SMASH, because she was brilliant, but I wonder if some of the erratic writing on that show last season tarnished her character a bit in the eyes of the Emmy voters.
    Brilliant is a bit much. She was better than many of those that surrounded her, but that doesn't mean she was brilliant. Certainly not Emmy-worthy IMO. I can see why she's a charasmatic performer on Broadway. But for TV, I found her acting to be lacking. Especially when she had to convey petulance. I'd give her a 6 out of 10 at best.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Thanks to Cachoo for posting the list. I'm bored this morning, so I decided to vote for my choices, and first I marked the ones I've seen. I've got to watch Girls, Veep, Boardwalk Emipre, and Hatfields and McCoy's before the Emmys to see if they are shows I'd vote for. Some of the others that I've marked "seen", I watched some episodes, but the show didn't become a "must watch" for me.

Outstanding Comedy Series
    "The Big Bang Theory," CBS -seen
    "Curb Your Enthusiasm," HBO -not
    "Girls,"HBO -not
    "Modern Family," ABC -seen
    "30 Rock," NBC-seen
    "Veep," HBO -not

I'll give it to Modern Family, but my personal favourite is Raising Hope

Outstanding Drama Series
    "Boardwalk Empire," HBO -not
    "Breaking Bad," AMC -seen
    "Downton Abbey," PBS -seen
    "Game Of Thrones," HBO-seen
    "Homeland," Showtime-seen
    "Mad Men," AMC -seen

I cannot pick between Breaking Bad and Homeland. They were both compelling television, and better than any movie out this year.

Outstanding Lead Actress In A Comedy Series
    Lena Dunham, "Girls," HBO -not
    Melissa McCarthy, "Mike & Molly," CBS -seen
    Zooey Deschanel, "New Girl," FOX -seen
    Edie Falco, "Nurse Jackie," Showtime -not
    Amy Poehler, "Parks And Recreation," NBC -seen
    Tina Fey, "30 Rock," NBC-seen
    Julia Louis-Dreyfus, "Veep," HBO -not

I'd give it to Amy Poehler, but I'd really like to give it to Martha Plimpton

Outstanding Lead Actor In A Comedy Series
    Jim Parsons, "The Big Bang Theory," CBS -seen
    Larry David, "Curb Your Enthusiasm," HBO -not
    Don Cheadle, "House Of Lies," Showtime -not
    Louis C.K. , "Louie," FX Networks-seen
    Alec Baldwin, "30 Rock," NBC -seen
    Jon Cryer, "Two And A Half Men," CBS -seen

I'd give it to Louis C.K, or Jim Parsons

Outstanding Lead Actress In A Drama Series
    Glenn Close, "Damages," FX-seen
    Michelle Dockery, "Downton Abbey," PBS-seen
    Julianna Margulies, "The Good Wife," CBS-seen
    Kathy Bates, "Harry's Law," NBC -not
    Claire Danes, "Homeland," Showtime-seen
    Elisabeth Moss, "Mad Men," AMC -seen

Claire Danes should have this sewn up. She was amazing.

Outstanding Lead Actor In A Drama Series
    Steve Buscemi, "Boardwalk Empire," HBO -not
    Bryan Cranston, "Breaking Bad," AMC -seen
    Michael C. Hall, "Dexter," Showtime -seen
    Hugh Bonneville, "Downton Abbey" PBS -seen
    Damian Lewis, "Homeland," Showtime -seen
    Jon Hamm, "Mad Men," AMC -seen

Damian Lewis, but only because Bryan Cranston already has this. Really I couldn't pick between them.

Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Comedy Series
    Mayim Bialik, "The Big Bang Theory," CBS -seen
    Kathryn Joosten, "Desperate Housewives," ABC -not
    Julie Bowen, "Modern Family," ABC -seen
    Sofia Vergara, "Modern Family," ABC-seen
    Merritt Wever, "Nurse Jackie," Showtime -not
    Kristen Wiig, "Saturday Night Live," NBC -seen

Mayim Bialik- because she's truly a supporting actress who adds tremendously to the quality of the show.

Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Comedy Series
    Ed O'Neill, "Modern Family," ABC -seen
    Jesse Tyler Ferguson, "Modern Family," ABC -seen
    Ty Burrell, "Modern Family," ABC -seen
    Eric Stonestreet, "Modern Family," ABC -seen
    Max Greenfield, "New Girl," FOX-seen
    Bill Hader, "Saturday Night Live," NBC -seen

Bill Hader is one of my favourites on SNL, and the MF people cancel each other out.

Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Drama Series
    Anna Gunn, "Breaking Bad," AMC -seen
    Maggis Smith, "Downton Abbey," PBS -seen
    Joanne Froggatt, "Downton Abbey," PBS -seen
    Archie Panjabi, "The Good Wife," CBS-seen
    Christine Baranski, "The Good Wife," -seen
    Christina Hendricks, "Mad Men," AMC-seen

Anna Gunn- she makes me really not like her character, but in a good way. I wish I could put Lana Parilla though.(Once Upon a Time)

Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Drama Series
    Aaron Paul, "Breaking Bad," AMC-seen
    Giancarlo Esposito, "Breaking Bad," AMC-seen
    Brendan Coyle, "Downton Abbey," PBS-seen
    Jim Carter, "Downton Abbey," PBS-seen
    Peter Dinklage, "Game of Thrones," HBO-seen
    Jared Harris, "Mad Men," AMC-seen

Aaron Paul is my choice here, but he should be getting a lead actor nomination. I'd like to be voting for Robert Carlyle. (Once Upon a Time)

Outstanding Miniseries or Movie
    "American Horror Story," FX-seen
    "Game Change," HBO -not
    "Hatfields & McCoys," HISTORY -not
    "Hemingway & Gellhorn," HBO -not
    "Luther," BBC America-not
    "Sherlock: A Scandal In Belgravia (Masterpiece)," PBS -seen

I can't imagine that anything could be better than Sherlock.

Outstanding Lead Actress In A Miniseries Or A Movie
    Connie Britton, "American Horror Story," FX-seen
    Julianne Moore, "Game Change," HBO -not
    Nicole Kidman, "Hemingway & Gellhorn," HBO -not
    Ashley Judd, "Missing," ABC-not
    Emma Thompson, "The Song Of Lunch (Masterpiece)," PBS-not

Somebody I haven't seen, I guess.

Outstanding Lead Actor In A Miniseries Or A Movie
    Woody Harrelson, "Game Change," HBO -not
    Kevin Costner, "Hatfields & McCoys," HISTORY-not
    Bill Paxton, "Hatfields & McCoys," HISTORY -not
    Clive Owen, "Hemingway & Gellhorn," HBO -not
    Idris Elba, "Luther," BBC America -not
    Benedict Cumberbatch, "Sherlock: A Scandal In Belgravia (Masterpiece)," PBS-seen

Repeat-I can't imagine that anything could be better than Sherlock, so Benedict Cumberbatch.

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or A Movie
    Frances Conroy, "American Horror Story," FX-seen
    Jessica Lange, "American Horror Story," FX-seen
    Sarah Paulson, "Game Change," HBO-not
    Mare Winningham, "Hatfields & McCoys," HISTORY -not
    Judy Davis, "Page Eight (Masterpiece)" PBS -not

Jessica Lange was great. I have to watch Hatfields & McCoys, because Mare is one of my favourite actresses.

Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Miniseries Or A Movie
    Denis O'Hare, "American Horror Story," FX -seen
    Ed Harris, "Game Change," HBO-not
    Tom Berenger, "Hatfields & McCoys," HISTORY-not
    David Strathairn, "Hemingway & Gellhorn," HBO-not
    Martin Freeman, "Sherlock: A Scandal In Belgravia (Masterpiece)," PBS -seen

Repeat-I can't imagine that anything could be better than Sherlock, so Martin Freeman.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast