Prick Admin
    vCash

BBC Commentator Barry Davies: "Did US TV manufacture Atlanta's big story?"

Link

Thoughts?

Old Bazza was also less than complimentary about the Atlanta Olympics in general in an accompanying article.

Atlanta was not one of the great Olympic Games - it would be at the bottom of my list of 12.

It was the centennial Games and everybody thought they should go to Greece. They had rather too many jobsworths (I remember it being hard to get to our commentary position easily) and the Centennial Park, in the build-up, was tacky.

But don't take my word for it, take Steve Redgrave's. He said he didn't feel the Atlanta Games were something he wanted to go out on. He thought Sydney was the place to go. And in my opinion, we went from the least enjoyable and least well-presented Games to the best.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    It was manufactured to a degree. But the Russians had not finished on floor and at the time I truly believe the US thought Strug needed to vault. I guess the network did too. The other reason going that Strug continued was that in 1992 she could not do AA as she qualified 4th among the Americans and didn't want to miss out.

Atlanta really was a terrible Olympics but it is far more memorable than either Beijing or Sydney and Athens as a hole besides a few things are very forgettable. Atlanta had the gymnastics. On the NZ front we had double gold in the swimming and went 1st and second in the individual eventing (equestrian). Just a very memorable Olympics for me.

Americans seem good at mucking up the Olympics as Salt Lake City was a big mess too.

vCash
    It was awful for the paralympians, they were actually tearing down the athlete's village as the paralympians arrived. Shameful.

vCash
    I was only a nipper, but I've always got the impression that Atlanta was good, but not as good as Barcelona before it or Sydney after it. However, wasn't Athens considered a bigger disappointment? Personally, I found Beijing a bit dull as well. We're due a really cracking Games. I'm so lucky it's basically on my door step (I can see the Olympic stadium from my bedroom window!)

vCash
    I beleive the people were genuinely unsure of what Strugs vault would mean. Many thought they were absolutely needed but really they were not.

Watch me move
    vCash
    The link doesn't work for me, but I remember there being lots of complaints about how badly organized Atlanta was (e.g. shuttle buses running late or not running at all) and how unprepared some of the outdoor venues were - hot and muggy without adequate shelter or cooling.

Personally, after enduring the Olympics in my own city and then watching the same problems play out in London this summer, I'm more and more in favour of the idea of choosing a permanent location and having the Olympics there every time. I know that will never happen because of the mentality of the IOC members, but it would certainly be easier for everyone.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    I didn't enjoy the Atlanta Olympics--as a whole---though I liked individual moments. When I think of a city hosting the Summer Olympics in the US I like the idea of oceans, mountains and --if possible-- cooler temperatures. Ideally Oregon or Washington on the Pacific side so maybe Portland or Seattle could host. Atlanta in the summer? Too hot and sticky and just not an exciting city imho.

I had trouble linking with the article but I do remember one of the American gymnastics broadcasters saying they didn't believe she needed the second vault before the vault. At least I'm fairly sure that was said. I'd like to see the broadcast to be sure.
    Last edited by Cachoo; 07-24-2012 at 08:23 PM.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Edit ... ...
    Last edited by bardtoob; 07-25-2012 at 04:06 AM.