View Poll Results: Who is the Ultimate SURVIVOR?

Voters
429. You may not vote on this poll
  • Michelle Kwan

257 59.91%
  • Yuna Kim

172 40.09%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    vCash
    I don't know about either Michelle or Yuna's popularity. My friends ask if Dorothy Hamill is still competing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I believe she had said long before Nagano that she would like to stay until SLC.
    Right, but I'm not convinced she would have followed through on that.

Blergh
    vCash
    I don't understand why people think Kwan would have went "pro" though. I think her "brand" and endorsement power was based on being a relevant competive skater. I think Kwan knew she would have made more money as an Olympic-eligible skater rather than do shows. Plus, Kwan never seemed to have any desire being a show skater. Otherwise she would've cashed in by now and done Stars on Ice Canada or something. She obviously loved competition and the challenge of matching or breaking records. She had that competitive drive and I truly doubt there was anything in pro skating that would have given her that thrill.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I don't understand why people think Kwan would have went "pro" though. I think her "brand" and endorsement power was based on being a relevant competive skater. I think Kwan knew she would have made more money as an Olympic-eligible skater rather than do shows. Plus, Kwan never seemed to have any desire being a show skater. Otherwise she would've cashed in by now and done Stars on Ice Canada or something. She obviously loved competition and the challenge of matching or breaking records. She had that competitive drive and I truly doubt there was anything in pro skating that would have given her that thrill.
    ITA.

vCash
    Not to mention that there were tons of pro-ams around 1998 as well as COI, and she was earning good prize money and appearance fees without having to turn pro. Lipinski had to turn pro because her body wasn't holding up.

If Kwan had won in 1998, I think she would chase for a second OGM in 2002. That's just who she is.

vCash
    Not to mention that there were tons of pro-ams around 1998 as well as COI, and she was earning good prize money and appearance fees without having to turn pro. Lipinski had to turn pro because her body wasn't holding up.

If Kwan had won in 1998, I think she would chase for a second OGM in 2002. That's just who she is.
    Plus, it's such a strange argument in skating. Athletes like being athletes for as long as they can. Michael Phelps won how many gold medals? And he's coming back to the Olys to try to win more. Tennis players love the sport and try to get as many majors as they can. Football players, after winning the superbowl, don't just say, okay, I'm cashing in. They go after more. Why is skating any different?

vCash
    WTF, I just voted wrong. +1 for Yu-na and -1 for Michelle please...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TID View Post
    WTF, I just voted wrong. +1 for Yu-na and -1 for Michelle please...
    Since this is a just a fluffy poll on a random figure skating message board, somehow I don't think voting errors/irregularities will be corrected...but I could be wrong!

vCash

I agree. She might have taken some time off for school, however, and might not have won as many World Championships. Either way, Michelle's competitive record, assuming she would have medaled at another Olympics, is the best of the post-figures, triple jump era.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by satchelpooch318 View Post
    Since this is a just a fluffy poll on a random figure skating message board, somehow I don't think voting errors/irregularities will be corrected...but I could be wrong!
    I think it would only matter if it were a close race but Michelle's had +50 lead the whole time so I don't think 4 or 5 votes will matter much...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by giselle23 View Post
    I agree. She might have taken some time off for school, however, and might not have won as many World Championships. Either way, Michelle's competitive record, assuming she would have medaled at another Olympics, is the best of the post-figures, triple jump era.
    Who knows. But... she did consider taking time off after her silver, but said her sister convinced her against it, saying you're either in it 100% or not at all, so

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hydro View Post
    Plus, it's such a strange argument in skating. Athletes like being athletes for as long as they can. Michael Phelps won how many gold medals? And he's coming back to the Olys to try to win more. Tennis players love the sport and try to get as many majors as they can. Football players, after winning the superbowl, don't just say, okay, I'm cashing in. They go after more. Why is skating any different?
    Well, to me the proof is in the pudding: pretty much every female OGM, after winning the big one, took the money and ran. Kristi...Tara...Sarah was pressured into continuing but that lasted only one disastrous year and she was done...Shizuka...Witt did stick around but only because East Germany basically forced her to. Skating is a much crueler sport. With skating there is a much smaller window of time to be on top. The daily grind of training is grueling and expensive, and even with all the training ice is slippery. You are subject to the whims of judges and skating order and a host of other arbitrary things.
    With swimming, you have chances at many races. Many swimmers can become OGMs at an Olympics, as there are many races, but there's only one OGM per skating discipline. With tennis, you get four shots per year to win a big one. With skating...one shot every four years.

With football you are only making a year by year commitment. You stay in "one more year" for another title (and a boatload of cash!). (By the way, a lot of SuperBowl players do bolt for inferior teams willing to give them better contracts. That is its own form of taking the money and running.)

It seems that winning one skating OGM seems to be the equivalent of winning ten swimming Olympic medals or three SuperBowls or eight Grand Slams. You belong to a very small, extremely elite club of athletes. It really does seem to be its own special category, for better or for worse.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    It seems that winning one skating OGM seems to be the equivalent of winning ten swimming Olympic medals or three SuperBowls or eight Grand Slams. You belong to a very small, extremely elite club of athletes. It really does seem to be its own special category, for better or for worse.
    Yep, because a once in four year award is insane. Do you go with the tried and true who play it safe? Or do you go with the athlete that went all out and did everything? Skating is cruel in this way. I'm glad they are adding a team competition, but I also wish they would award medals to the SP too. If someone is clearly a SP skater and can rack up the points yet lack elements in their LP that won't keep them in the medals, let them at least get a SP medal.
    I will not be ignored! -Me

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Forrest View Post
    I also wish they would award medals to the SP too. If someone is clearly a SP skater and can rack up the points yet lack elements in their LP that won't keep them in the medals, let them at least get a SP medal.
    If that happens, flipforsynchro will be glad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by t.mann View Post
    If that happens, flipforsynchro will be glad.
    Then my poor bby will at least get something after being in vancouver and every competition since then

vCash
    i don't get the point of arguing the point that Michelle Kwan is only popular in North America. There are no popular Asian or European skaters in the United States. Like...none. Katerina Witt was popular in the 80's but it was not for her skating...

Michelle is a beloved skater in her home country by many skating fans. She is known outside of the skating community as well due to her longevity. She is not popular in Europe. Not sure what that is exactly supposed to prove. The end.

vCash
    I am surprised Yuna won as many vote as she did actually, less than 20% difference... all things considered! Not bad!

Well, the title of the poll is about Survivor, so naturally the one survive the longest wins!! Congrats Michelle! You are best survivor summer 2012!!

% ratio wise, Yuna do have the upper hand though, having never fall of the podium and always managed to win either a SP or LP in every competition she entered during her entire seniors so far...despite some hiccups here and there that all champions inevitably goes through. Ice iz slippery, that'ts life!!

I wonder what Michelle will say about all this... Speech Speech!!

(& does she get win a voucher or something?! A limited edition FSU pen perhaps? )

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    I am surprised Yuna won as many vote as she did actually, less than 20% difference... all things considered! Not bad!

Well, the title of the poll is about Survivor, so naturally the one survive the longest wins!! Congrats Michelle! You are best survivor summer 2012!!

% ratio wise, Yuna do have the upper hand though, having never fall of the podium and always managed to win either a SP or LP in every competition she entered during her entire seniors so far...despite some hiccups here and there that all champions inevitably goes through. Ice iz slippery, that'ts life!!

I wonder what Michelle will say about all this... Speech Speech!!

(& does she get win a voucher or something?! A limited edition FSU pen perhaps? )
    Michelle placed on the podium in every event she skated in for 9 years in a row. Yuna placed on the podium in every event she skated in for 6 years in a row.

We can play this game all day

Beach Bum
    vCash
    The Kween rules over the Queen.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    i think this really depends on the next season

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast