Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Diving

vCash
    Wow- that's awful.

This really got to me:
    "We accepted a long time ago that she doesn't belong entirely to us," Wu Yuming told the Shanghai Morning Post. "I don't even dare to think about things like enjoying family happiness."
    I know it is a different culture, but what a stark difference to the P&G "Thank you Mom" commercials (although I'm pissed at them for missing out on Dad) and the clips of parents (albiet annoying) going crazy in the stands for their kids (not even just US- we saw the Dad of the swimmer who beat Phelps).

Even Gabby Douglas's Mom, who like many parents of Olympians has had to cope with her daughter moving away from home talks of gaining new family members in her host parents. While I have no doubt it was difficult, there is no talk of it being like she lost her child.

I just can't imagine "Congratulations on your medal. You did your country proud. Oh yeah, your grandparents are dead, and it is lucky your mother isn't." Kind of ruins the celebration. But I know I have western bias here.

vCash
    I guess it's easier to fall off of things in gymnastics...and there are more things to fall off of...in diving you are falling no matter what,

vCash
    I can only imagine how that young woman must feel today.

vCash
    Halfway to the sweep

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaTurtles View Post
    Saw this picture floating about the internet today: http://i.imgur.com/7w926.jpg Figured it had to be diving.
    They have a bunch of those going around of Tom Daly too, lol They call it "unnecessary censorship."
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Wow- that's awful.

This really got to me:

I know it is a different culture, but what a stark difference to the P&G "Thank you Mom" commercials (although I'm pissed at them for missing out on Dad) and the clips of parents (albiet annoying) going crazy in the stands for their kids (not even just US- we saw the Dad of the swimmer who beat Phelps).
    I am not capable of winning any type of sport competition, yet my parents keep family secrets (including grandmother's illness and death) from me. That bit is fairly common, I think. That hard bit is really the part about training away from home.

vCash
    As a mother, the hard bit for me was reading that her daughter "doesn't really belong to us".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    I can only imagine how that young woman must feel today.
    "Congratulations for winning the gold medal. By the way, grandma and grandpa died a year ago and I'm recovering from breast cancer. Other than that, nothing new."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    As a mother, the hard bit for me was reading that her daughter "doesn't really belong to us".
    She was born in 1985 and I know she won world medals in 2001 (perhaps before that but I'm not sure.) At what age would she have moved to the training center and how often does she visit home? I don't have a ton of memories before four or five years. I think if I was living away from my biological family my "training" family would be incredibly important to me. But I know we are talking about two different cultures here and I might have it all wrong. Anyway losing family members is generally awful and I hope she is ok.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    It's a cultural idea; yet very sad.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    I just heard about this, this morning and...I also don't know what to say. I just can't imagine having to make a decision like that concerning letting her know that not only her Grandparents passed away, but also her Mom was fighting Breast Cancer?

I too was incredably sad to read what her Dad said about them accepting she doesn't really belong to them anymore. I mean....

I know we hear about just how big of a sacrifice Parents of Olympians have to make all the time during Games coverage, but this just...As I said, I honestly don't know what to say except just how incredably sad it is.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    The preliminary round of the Women's 3m Springboard competition is going on right now (it started at 9:30 EDT)....I just logged on to the online stream, so I have no idea what round they're in at the moment or who's leading right now (but I'll assume it's one of the Chinese divers ).

The US has two women competing, but I have no idea if they're at the level of being able to contend for a medal .

The precision and ability to enter the water while hardly making any sort of splash has me in complete awe
    "Meryl is from a magic planet where Disney princesses come from, and [Charlie's] hair is a magic carpet." ~~ Stephen Colbert, on The Colbert Report

vCash
    I'm with ya, Cyn. The overall quality of the top divers -- not just the difficulty -- is amazing.

Years ago I could see a lot more of the defects in a dive -- especially in the entry -- but now there are a lot of dives where I have to rely on Cynthia to set me straight, because they're generally so beautiful. Kudos to NBC for both having a great analyst like Cynthia, and for adding some nice technology for diving analysis. My not-so-secret wish is that Cynthia would cross-train to become and analyst in some other judged sports -- figure skating would be good. You can tell that she has tremendous respect for the sport and anyone who delivers outstanding diving -- and her calls on what the scoring will be are incredibly on-target. I also appreciate that she isn't a shrieker. I really, really appreciate that.

vCash
    Jennifer Abel of Canada qualified 4th to the next round in women's 3m.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    Good for Jennifer!!

Barb and Cyn, ITA w/you about all you said. The precision needed to do these dives and then rip the entry so there's close to no splash...Just amazing!!

vCash
    Ugh I am so disappointed. We have five channels of Olympic coverage and not a single one covered the prelims for the diving and they're not covering the semis either

vCash
    It's on the main NBC network. now.

vCash
    Except gingercrush is in New Zealand

vCash
    It was on OLN here in Canada. I had to switch it over to Trampoline for a very awesome reason, so haven't flipped it back yet. About to do that now.

vCash
    gingercrush, I'm sorry if you can't see the events you wish to in NZ.

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast