Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Diving

vCash
    The is over. Move on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Loves_Shizuka View Post
    The is over. Move on.
    Oh, I have. I wouldn't have had Daley won, but since no one else really stepped up to the plate and challenged for the bronze, I can accept Daley placing third. I would love for Guerra to have medalled because he performed all his dives beautifully and this is very likely his last Olympics, but then again he didn't have the difficulty.

Once again, I don't think Daley is in the wrong for asking for a re-dive if he really felt that the flashes had impeded him during the initial dive. I do, however, think that the officials shouldn't have allowed the do-over because I don't consider flash photography to fall under the category of "exceptional circumstances".

Title-less
    vCash
    On my way home today, I was already thinking that the American or Brit would take this
    I wasnt so wrong.

I feel for Qiu but going by the score, I dont consider Qiu as succumbing under pressure or anything. He had a consistently good compeition. On another day it could have been gold.

vCash
    Congratulations to Boudia on winning gold! What did this guy have for lunch?! The difference between the prelims and finals is huge. And also congratulations to the other medalists. It was so adorable to see the Brits so happy with bronze they all jumped into the pool!
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    The obvious question is - Can/Should the ISU adopt a new rule for figure skaters who are blinded by a flash?
    Or a hamburger.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Wow, that was an amazing competition!! It all coming down to the final dive to decide gold, silver, and bronze!

vCash
    After watching this, I'm more pissed about Qiu's massive overscore to worry about Daley's re-dive.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    The commentators are saying that all Chinese athletes who don't win gold have to publicly apologize to the whole nation... WTF?
    Not sure where those commentators got such sensational information but it is not true. WTF indeed.

A couple of Chinese weight lifting athletes did apologize for their disappointing results but they were by no means forced or "had to". I got the feeling they did because they felt sorry, but mostly for themselves (understandably).

I just saw Qiu's interview with reporters. He was happy with his own result, congratulated the gold and bronze medalists and said he hoped to continue for another 4 years. Basically petty standard post-game talks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    After watching this, I'm more pissed about Qiu's massive overscore to worry about Daley's re-dive.

I was surprised at the score when Potter said he was much too close to the platform and that is an automatic deduction and he received no deduction for that. I think Daley should have the silver based on that dive.

vCash
    CTV is replaying the diving and the piece on Daley and, gosh I tear up every time I see it. I am so happy with what Tom was able to accomplish here.

Quote Originally Posted by genegri View Post
    I just saw Qiu's interview with reporters. He was happy with his own result, congratulated the gold and bronze medalists and said he hoped to continue for another 4 years. Basically petty standard post-game talks.
    Good for him. I don't think I could have done the same. I really felt for him. Gorgeous diver.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    I was surprised at the score when Potter said he was much too close to the platform and that is an automatic deduction and he received no deduction for that. I think Daley should have the silver based on that dive.
    Blythe Hartley (CTV) also said that he was too close to the platform but she has often reminded viewers that judges are watching in real time and don't have the benefit of instant replay. Maybe they didn't see it? These dives are really scaring me.
    Last edited by Bournekraatzfan; 08-12-2012 at 05:48 AM.

vCash
    Matt Mitcham was squealing about the final all over Twitter. My heart is still broken for him but what a wonderful sport.

I think the judges just didn't want to risk Matt winning.

He did promise to dive naked off the 10m if he won gold, after all

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bournekraatzfan View Post
    Blythe Hartley (CTV) also said that he was too close to the platform but she has often reminded viewers that judges are watching in real time and don't have the benefit of instant replay. Maybe they didn't see it? These dives are really scaring me.
    It's so weird that they didn't see it. The commentators didn't even have to point it out to me. I had flashbacks to Greg Louganis hitting his head. Anyway, I hope he doesn't get much grief for not bringing home a gold since that seems to be expected for every Chinese diver. So happy for Boudia and for Daley medaling at home.

vCash
    Annie Pelletier on the French Canadian network immediately saw he was too close as well, and expected the 2 points deduction.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Choupette View Post
    Annie Pelletier on the French Canadian network immediately saw he was too close as well, and expected the 2 points deduction.
    It was ridiculous that he got a few 10.0s for that dive, because he wasn't totally vertical either. I thought both Chinese divers were scored quite generously yesterday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedySucks View Post
    It was ridiculous that he got a few 10.0s for that dive, because he wasn't totally vertical either. I thought both Chinese divers were scored quite generously yesterday.
    I agree - it was as if some judges wanted them to win - still in the end it was the diving that won the medals.

Still so happy for Tom Daley - he was so overjoyed with that bronze and he was still smiling this morning being interviewed on BBC Breakfast. He also said he would love to go to Rio and upgrade the medal - hope he can do that!! I think so many people forget how young he is - 18 - he has just been around so long many people think he is older.

Title-less
    vCash
    re: judges not having instant replay. Uhmm, skating judges and callers have instant replay and they still don't ding all edge calls or incorrect 3A takeoffs .

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Does anyone know if it is possible to watch a repeat of the NBC broadcast of the mens 10m from last night? I know NBCOlympics.com will archive stuff but I THINK they only archive the live footage. I really wanted to watch with the lady commentating (Potter?). I left last night to go have dinner with friends and forgot to set my DVR.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Does anyone know if it is possible to watch a repeat of the NBC broadcast of the mens 10m from last night? I know NBCOlympics.com will archive stuff but I THINK they only archive the live footage. I really wanted to watch with the lady commentating (Potter?). I left last night to go have dinner with friends and forgot to set my DVR.
    They'll have it. Look for NBC replay under diving/full event replays. They only have the prelims so far but they have every NBC broadcast archived.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Thank you!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast