Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Diving

vCash
    Congrats to Hymans and Abel of Canada on making the 3m springboard final!
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    I saw a piece on Greg Louganis last night. He's mentoring the US diving team. He looks great and said that he was in severe depression after his silver medal in Montreal, and couldn't understand why people were congratulating him, because he went there to win. Now that is really taking perfectionism and competitiveness to a new level.

As for the Chinese divers they are actually known as the "divas" of the Chinese athletics program. They are huge stars, many of the women have become fashion icons. So that might explain their cool, even keel at the Olympics. I suspect that as they are huge stars and magazine regulars that their treatment might be a bit more gentle in comparison with other Chinese athletes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by canbelto View Post
    I saw a piece on Greg Louganis last night. He's mentoring the US diving team. He looks great and said that he was in severe depression after his silver medal in Montreal, and couldn't understand why people were congratulating him, because he went there to win. Now that is really taking perfectionism and competitiveness to a new level.

As for the Chinese divers they are actually known as the "divas" of the Chinese athletics program. They are huge stars, many of the women have become fashion icons. So that might explain their cool, even keel at the Olympics. I suspect that as they are huge stars and magazine regulars that their treatment might be a bit more gentle in comparison with other Chinese athletes.
    I was looking for and found some good photos of the gymnastics team competition in The Daily Mail. I know nothing of this newspaper but they did have an article about Chinese children who are "spotted" in their first year of school and then the decision is made whether to let them be moved for training or to stay home. If you let him/her go because you believe he/she has greater opporturnities and you know you will see them so little then I think the parents should be allowed to have another child. The one child policy is too harsh if you lose that one child when they are so young. Of course my fear would be that the second child would be selected too.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by canbelto View Post
    But it would appear from this article, which was posted in another thread, that reaction to silver isn't uncommon: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olymp...s-silver_N.htm
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Tania...
    A grumpy Canadian will always be nicer than a polite Milanese

vCash
    I felt bad for Tania, losing it by .20 in what she said would be her last Games

But Im very happy and suprised with Laura Sanchez, bronze medal, totally unexpected. She was the least likely to medal though we expected a top 6, the form she competed today was superb!

Mexico has won three medals in diving, achieving the goal before this Games though we still have our supposed strong events with Paola Espinosa and Yahel Castillo, great to have the spirit up and with medals already

vCash
    Congrats to Mexico on another diving medal!
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    Mexico has just been subperb these games in Diving. They've worked hard though and have earned their success. They absolutely killed it at Pan Ams last year at home and have been working extremely hard since then so they should be very proud of themselves.

Jennifer Abel blew it though. She had a chance to claim a medal and she was just off all day. Also a rough way for Heymans to finish out her career the way she did. She was off all day too. Glad she was still able to get a medal out of these games though.
    Kyle

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    The nerves w/out a doubt bit Jennifer Abel BIG today and what a shame too. That's the Olympic Pressure Cooker though and it's her first Games, so not a bad showing at all by the rookie.

Felt so bad that's how Emilie's ending her career, but it just wasn't her day today at all. Yesterday either, but at least she was able to get into the Finals. Still, what a career and achievements she's had. It wouldn't surprise me at all to hear she's on the Order of Canada honours list come the end of the year.

Vamos Mexico!!! What a diving meet your Country's enjoy Braulio!!! When I heard Laura had grabbed that Bronze, you were the first person I thought of. The Diving Federation just must be over the moon w/how it's done these Games.

Alex Deparate goes in his first event tomorrow. To say I'm nervous for him is like saying I like fresh Peaches and Cherries at this time of the year.

Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    The nerves w/out a doubt bit Jennifer Abel BIG today and what a shame too. That's the Olympic Pressure Cooker though and it's her first Games, so not a bad showing at all by the rookie.
    This is Jennifer Abel's second Olympics. She competd in the 3m event in Beijing but didn't make the final.

vCash
    Wow. Just watched the competition on replay and Wu Minxia was brilliant. That was basically Guo Jingjing/Fu Mingxia level of awesomeness, seriously.

vCash
    German guy named "Stephen Feck"

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    I'm not in any real teknik for diving, but there seemed to be a stream of very nice looking dives in this first round of the men's 3m competition.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    Vamos Mexico!!! What a diving meet your Country's enjoy Braulio!!! When I heard Laura had grabbed that Bronze, you were the first person I thought of. The Diving Federation just must be over the moon w/how it's done these Games.
    Thanks

Yes, Laura gave us a big surprise. A medal was a long shot because she is most time inconsisten, specially with the final two dives but today those two, but the fifth secured her a medal and the best and most consistent performance of her career!

And she have said on interviews that she competed with an injured shoulder that will need surgery immediatly after she gets home!

All my respect. And now after the first round of the preliminaries 3m springboard Yahel Castillo, of Mexico is leading the competition. It is still round 1 and prelims but we expect high things of Yahel

Hope he keeps delivering

where all the boys, men, wolves, jocks, otters, cubs, & bears are ;)
    vCash
    WOW! Troy Dumais outscored the entire field on Dive #1 in terms of execution . . . all 9s! It's his degree of difficulty that currently has him in 4th. I'm glad he's actually having a good Olympic experience here for a change.

vCash
    Why did Feck get a zero on his 2nd dive?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    He failed the dive.. landed flat on his back

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    I spoke too soon, poor Stephan Feck just had a horrible miss, landed flat on his back.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fridge_Break View Post
    He failed the dive.. landed flat on his back
    OUCH! Poor guy!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    He feck the dive so he fecked himself

poor guy he had a shot at the final

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast