Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Diving

vCash

Diving

I LOVE diving and I'm so anxious for it to start. Some of the greats that I love and are retired are; Sautin, Mingxia, Louganis, and Guo Jingjng. But China is not in want of talent and won all the gold and most of the silver at the recent diving worlds. it would interesting to see if anyone can challenge their dominance. Mexico has a 15 year old Alejandra Orozco who they hope will do just that. Can't wait!
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    Diving is one of the big hopes for my country (Mexico) in London, we have a very good generation mix of experienced veterans like Paola Espinosa who is poised to do very well at the 10m Platform individualy and had a good chance to medal again in the synchro event with another teenager who among with 15 year old Alejandra Orozco are the next generation for Mexico on this event

Yahel Castillo and Daniel Islas (or Julian Sanchez) also have a shot at the 3m synchro event though will be tough

Teenagers German Sanchez and Ivan Garcia duo in the men´s Synchronized 10m Platform are in the favourites to win the silver medal.

If the team can win a pair of medals it will be a great result, among with finalists in all the events we have qualified, only the women´s 3m synchro springboard wont have mexican representation.

Ukraine is a team should be a threat in the synchronized events, they did it very well and consistently medaled at the Grand Prix Circuit this season. British divers also should be taken in consideration. I have a feeling Tom Daley will medal.

vCash
    A really nice article about Louganis and his current involvement with team USA. It is a bit dated but still a nice read.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oly...he-future.html

vCash
    It would be nice to see the Mexican divers doing well in London. They've had top 6 divers for a while, so a few medals would be a good reward.

Am still upset about Alex Croak missing the Aussie team. Loved her gymnastics and she was v. good in synchro diving with Melissa Wu.

ETA: Thanks for the run-down, Braulio!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    A really nice article about Louganis and his current involvement with team USA. It is a bit dated but still a nice read.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oly...he-future.html
    Thanks for the article.

Greg deserves much more respect than he has received from the Diving community.
    Hopefully he is being appreciated, and consulted, now.

vCash
    New article about Greg as mentor to the US Diving Team:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...XvW_story.html

vCash
    I would LOVE for Espinosa to on the 10M Platform, she's got lovely presentation and just seems like a class act.

The Men's 10M Platform is gonna be one juicy competition. Well, at least I hope so.......

vCash
    Really hoping Despatie can come through and prove the naysayers wrong? I so want him to get a third medal whether it be on synchro or individually.
    Kyle

vCash
    Is it kind of bad that I tend to root for any medal contenders who are NOT Chinese? lol! Nothing against them as they have just lovely dives; but whenever a country is so dominant one can't help but want to root for the underdog. Ya know, shake it up a bit; share the love.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    I would LOVE for Espinosa to on the 10M Platform, she's got lovely presentation and just seems like a class act.

The Men's 10M Platform is gonna be one juicy competition. Well, at least I hope so.......
    It will be a very good competition like the final in Beijing where Mitcham won the gold medal with that perfect dive that deprived the chinese of going 8 for 8 golds, the platform this time has a better chinese representation so we will see if and who can squeak into the podium, Daley (GBR), Klein (GER), Boudia (USA) and some russian could spoil the party (again) for the dominant China

And yes, Paola IS a very classy and down to earth girl, she has been so consistent this quadrenium, keeping her motivated enough to go for London. World champion in 2009 and bronze medal in 2011 worlds, with steady performances throughout the world cup series. If there is justice in the sport she has to win a medal individualy (after placing 4th in Beijing) and we have good chance of getting the silver or bronze at the synchro platform, event that gave Paola the bronze in 2008. So all the best for her, this time the team is stronger so I have the feeling she no longer feels she is ´the one and only´ to step up for the team.

Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    It would be nice to see the Mexican divers doing well in London. They've had top 6 divers for a while, so a few medals would be a good reward.

Am still upset about Alex Croak missing the Aussie team. Loved her gymnastics and she was v. good in synchro diving with Melissa Wu.

ETA: Thanks for the run-down, Braulio!
    Yes, top 8 at the last world championships and it was a good performance by all our divers so we are expecting the same at the Olympics. A pair of medals will be a good result and we hope that our teenagers get that olympic experience as they are the next in line

Australians, Ukrainians and Russians tend to peak and do well at the major meets, so the synchro events will be very competitive though the gold most likely will end on the neck of the chinese duos that are just simply super strong and slightly above the rest of the world.

vCash
    I don't think the Russians have anyone who is a serious medal contender.

vCash
    I don't think the Russians have anyone who is a serious medal contender.
    Yes they have, at Shangai worlds they got 3 medals

Men´s 3m springboard: Ilya Zakharov, silver, Evgeny Kuznetzov bronze
    Synchro 3m Springboard: Silver, Zakharov-Kuznetzov

In 10m platform they have Viktor Minibaev and Gleb Galperin, who also could medal in the synchro event

On the women´s side the russians i have to agree don´t have a real contender, but with the men I´m sure they will get a pair of medals

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kylet3 View Post
    Really hoping Despatie can come through and prove the naysayers wrong? I so want him to get a third medal whether it be on synchro or individually.
    As do I!! That YouTube video of Alex nailing the dive that he had the accident w/during training in Rome last week certainly made me more hopeful that it's very possible.

Having said that now, I have go outside, turn three times and spit. Just in case.

vCash
    I would LOVE for Alex to medal!

vCash
    I would LOVE for Alex to medal!
    Alex!

vCash
    I want Despatie to have a wardrobe malfunction during competition. How does he keep that thing contained?
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    New article about Greg as mentor to the US Diving Team:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...XvW_story.html
    Thanks for posting. I think his autobiography is one of the best sporting ones I have read.

Hopefully our Aussies will do really well. Love watching the diving.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    I want Despatie to have a wardrobe malfunction during competition. How does he keep that thing contained?
    Double-sided tape?

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Double-sided tape?
    Ouch!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Double-sided tape?
    I've seen some pictures and I don't really get what the fuss is... it doesn't look THAT big to me...
    Kyle

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast