Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Who was the last Olympic Champion to fall in the LP (at the same Olympics they won)?

Who was the last Olympic Champion to fall in their long program at that same Olympics that they received the gold medal at? This is something that just popped in my head a few minutes ago, and I've been racking my brains but I can't remember for sure. I was thinking Mishkutenok/Dmitriev in 1992, but I can't remember if they actually fell in their LP or if one of them just doubled something - I just remember a major error. Anyway, does anyone know for any/all of the disciplines?

vCash
    Yamaguchi for the ladies.

vCash
    Yamaguchi didn't fall. She put her hand down on her triple loop and narrowly escaped falling.

Mishkutenok & Dmitriev didn't fall either.

I'm guessing here, but I suspect that if any singles champion fell in the Free, it was back when Compulsories counted for sixty percent of the final score. Magda Mauroy-Julin finished fourth in the Free in 1920, so she's a possibility.

It could be that no victorious pair fell in the Free. Prior to 1968, there was no Pairs Short Program, so I rather doubt any of the gold medalists before then fell.

As near as I can remember, none of the gold medalists in Ice Dance fell in the Free.

vCash
    I know the last MEDALISTS who fell were Takahashi and Savchenko/Szolkowy, but they were bronze. I think the last silver medalists who had a fall were the Zhangs in '06. I can't remember if Lambiel fell in '06 as well. I THINK Sasha did.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    It's debatable, but I consider Kristi's mistake on the loop to be a fall, and Viktor Petrenko's mistake on his 2nd 3-axel to also be a fall, both in 1992

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I know the last MEDALISTS who fell were Takahashi and Savchenko/Szolkowy, but they were bronze. I think the last silver medalists who had a fall were the Zhangs in '06. I can't remember if Lambiel fell in '06 as well. I THINK Sasha did.
    Sasha fell twice in 2006.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    Sasha fell twice in 2006.
    One was fall but that mistake on the flip was about as close as you get to a fall without actually sitting down on it. I'm sure it probably got -3 across the board though so it hurt as much as a fall...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    One was fall but that mistake on the flip was about as close as you get to a fall without actually sitting down on it. I'm sure it probably got -3 across the board though so it hurt as much as a fall...
    But she only got one -1.00 fall deduction.

Not in the FS, but Sale and Pelletier both technically fell in the sp

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    It's debatable, but I consider Kristi's mistake on the loop to be a fall, and Viktor Petrenko's mistake on his 2nd 3-axel to also be a fall, both in 1992
    I agree.

vCash
    The Zhangs fall in 06 is one of the worst I've seen. They turned it into one of my most memorable skates ever. Thanks for the reminder, gonna find it on youtube now.

vCash
    hahah, I laughed at THINK. haha.

vCash
    IIRC the only really clean singles medalist at Albertville (1992) was Paul Wylie.

In other words, the first post figures olympics delivered one of the messiest set of medalists in history. Probably not what they were hoping for...

vCash
    Yagudin had a very wonky triple flip in his winning LP but I don't think he put a hand or foot down.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Mishkutenok & Dmitriev didn't fall either.
    Right, they had no falls in either Olympics, SP or FS.
    In the 92 free, they did have errors on two jumping passes in the FS, but neither was at all disruptive to the presentation. On the SBS 3 toes, Natalia came out forward (2 1/2 rotations) and stepped onto the correct edge. She also singled the planned 2A. This was part of the reason they wanted to reinstate and compete again in 94. They had won but were left slightly dissatisfied with their performance. At Lilehammer, all their jumping passes were clean.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    IIRC the only really clean singles medalist at Albertville (1992) was Paul Wylie.
    While he certainly deserved his medal, Wylie's performance was not "really clean." He stepped out of a few jumps, in particular the triple Salchow, never a strong jump for him. As noted earlier, he didn't do a clean combination. I've always thought it a bit ironic that his Olympic lp performance is hailed as a miracle, when it isn't all that dissimilar from what he did in Orlando that year.

vCash
    The 92 Olympics were a let down for me. Almost everyone in both the Women's and Men's had mistakes, probably the Olympics with the least amount of clean programs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Yagudin had a very wonky triple flip in his winning LP but I don't think he put a hand or foot down.
    No, he was just very forward and leaning on the landing.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

vCash
    Yamaguchi in 92, and IMO putting both hands and both skates firmly on the ice and having your buttocks an inch from sitting on the ice is a "fall". Under COP I imagine it would have been ruled a fall. The only way for the judges to have avoided given the gold to a skater who didnt fall that year would be to give it to Karen Preston or a then unknown Yuka Sato (or someone worse).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Yamaguchi in 92,... Under COP I imagine it would have been ruled a fall.
    I don't think so.

ISU Rule 353 defines a fall. The present wording is:

"a fall is defined as loss of control by a Skater with the result that the majority of his/her own body weight is on the ice supported by any other part of the body other than the blades e.g. hand(s), knee(s), back, buttock(s) or any part of the arm"

By that test, I wouldn't call it a fall. It was one hand down and a quick turn and step out onto the second foot, but I don't think there was any point where the majority of her body weight was not on her blades. She kept skating directly out of the jump and continued with her choreo pretty much on the beat, and I don't think that would be possible if a majority of her weight didn't remain on her blades.

Here's the move in question:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dozwFZ5NoNs&t=2m59s
    Last edited by Susan M; 07-19-2012 at 06:00 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Yamaguchi didn't fall. She put her hand down on her triple loop and narrowly escaped falling...
    Kristi pulled a Patrick Chan then, eh? You are exactly right of course, but then in that case, the same can be said of Michelle Kwan at 2002 Olympics. Michelle did not fall on the triple flip -- she merely "put her hand down and narrowly escaped falling."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dozwFZ5NoNs

In her Malaguena fp, Kristi did put a hand down and then her backside swooped down barely touching the ice as she quickly bounced upright and continued skating. The "hand-down fall" was followed by Kristi's nemesis jump, the salchow, which she doubled. The way Michelle "fell" on her 3-flip in 2002 is very similar. I couldn't find a workable link on youtube of Michelle's 2002 Olympic fp for comparison.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast