View Poll Results: Who is the weakest link?

Voters
348. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alexei Yagudin

51 14.66%
  • Stéphane Lambiel

154 44.25%
  • Daisuke Takahashi

143 41.09%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
    Interesting theory..do you think Lysacek, Weir or Eldredge would be more universally loved if they were French, German and Italian?
    I think they would probably be voidier, at least.

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Nope, I don't hate anybody, but it is my opinion that if Lambiel had skated for US or Canada, he would not still be here. He would have been assailed for not having the 3A (yes, i know he landed it occasionally) and quickly dispatched.
    You almost make it sound as if Stephane is just any ordinary skater. Truth is his skating moves many people with his innate ability to make the audience feel what he is feeling and with his intensely passionate artistic creativity. You can easily sense that he is emotionally involved and invested in every piece of music he skates to and in every move he makes on the ice. He is an extraordinary artiste and the ice is definitely his canvas to show the world his beauty. His strengths are so impressive that they more than make up for the absence of a 3Axel, IMO.

Comansnala?
    vCash
    Interesting theory..do you think Lysacek, Weir or Eldredge would be more universally loved if they were French, German and Italian?
    I guess Eldredge and Lysacek would have been voted out anyway, for obvious reasons ... Weir, well, Weir, is universally loved, but didn't make this poll ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    You almost make it sound as if Stephane is just any ordinary skater. Truth is his skating moves many people with his innate ability to make the audience feel what he is feeling and with his intensely passionate artistic creativity. You can easily sense that he is emotionally involved and invested in every piece of music he skates to and in every move he makes on the ice. He is an extraordinary artiste and the ice is definitely his canvas to show the world his beauty. His strengths are so impressive that they more than make up for the absence of a 3Axel, IMO.
    None of what you stated is the "truth," it is opinion. And not one shared by me at that.

I found Lambiel interesting and fun but he never moved me. Not more than, say, Buttle, another NA long since jettisoned from the game. Artistic preferences are always going to be subjective, so technical should come first... otherwise I'll have to side with the beer-guzzling football fans and say figure skating is not a sport.

vCash
    Lysacek definitely. Eldredge probably. I'd add Michael Weiss in there too.

Weir has transcended his lowly American status by becoming a pseudo-Russian, so he has mostly escaped universal scorn.

vCash
    None of what you stated is the "truth," it is opinion. And not one shared by me at that.
    Like it or not, at least the first statement is "truth", as Lambiel obviously moves/moved many people. museksk8r never said that he moves all people.

Artistic preferences are always going to be subjective, so technical should come first... otherwise I'll have to side with the beer-guzzling football fans and say figure skating is not a sport.
    Yes, artistic preferences are subjective, but there will always be skaters that are considered artistic by more people than other skaters. Plus, I'd say most of the time it's quite obvious to which skaters technique is much more important than artistry (some of them try to add some "artistry" as required by COP, because they understand that otherwise they won't get good results), to which both are at least equally important, in which skater's minds "artistry" is all about requirements for PCSs, and in which skater's cases it comes more from themselves - even if many people don't like their artistry.

Yes, figure skating is a sport. Just a different sport than others, including football, exactly because it can also be art. I have to say that I even pity those who can't see it, and those who become figure skaters just because they like the technical side of it - not to offend anyone.

vCash
    Lysacek definitely. Eldredge probably. I'd add Michael Weiss in there too.

Weir has transcended his lowly American status by becoming a pseudo-Russian, so he has mostly escaped universal scorn.
    I would say that difference has more to do with skating style and cultural preferences than it does with nationality per se. Take Lambiel vs. Lysacek: Stephane was clearly more interested in the artistic side of his skating and had more of an input into music selection, program construction and costuming. Lysacek skated to whatever warhorse Nichol gave him and wore what Vera Wang told him to. Snooze. Chan's case is similar, though he is far stronger technically (but less consistent) than Lysacek.

Weir, OTOH, has worked with different choreographers and has his own distinct style - not Russian, but more of a hybrid. Yet he too has plenty of detractors.

Lambiel got himself noticed on the strength of his skating; he's not from a major federation and I doubt he had the sort of politikking power behind him that some skaters did/do. A perception that someone is getting politikked to the top will usually hurt a skater's popularity, whether it's Chan, Lysacek or Plushenko. While Lambiel has at times been generously scored (certainly in his final season), the perception of politikking => his getting top scores just doesn't seem to be there in his case. Like him or not - and I'm an admirer more than a fan - Lambiel is just a special skater; there's nobody else quite like him.

And as others have pointed out, being American has not hurt Michelle Kwan's popularity among fans, both casual and serious.

vCash
    Lauravvv, I don't think that statement you cite a few posts up is "truth" either. The word "many" is also subjective.

Anyway, I stand by my earlier theory (not "truth," not "fact" but nevertheless a theory)....

Michelle Kwan is winning the ladies poll because of the FSU rule that Kwan must win all polls into which she is entered. <---- This is intended to be a joke, relax, don't shoot me!

Seriously though, MK is a whole other category, or if you prefer, an exception to the rule.
    Last edited by Cheylana; 07-21-2012 at 05:55 PM.

vCash
    If, as I read up. post a few days ago, the majority of FSUers are from NA, why would those people be prejudiced against and necessarily vote out NA skaters? Isn't that a contradiction? I personally couldn't care less what nationality the skater is, I just look at skill and personality. (long live Plushy !!)

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    Riiiiiiight, Stephane has made it to the final 3 of a public opinion skating fan poll because he doesn't move many people with his skating. If you say so,

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345