Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 106
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    in Yuna bubble everafter
    Posts
    4,888
    vCash
    465
    Rep Power
    32918
    ^^ Yuna's shown her ability do them easily with a required step into them in SP performances, both lutz and flip. The setup you pointed out can only be shown in her attempt for 3-3s, solo flip and her second lutz later in the programs so I'd argue that crossovers are needed for her in this case because they are indeed difficult and important ones whereas she could easily add ina bauer or spread eagle directly into jumps like 3s, 2a-3t. Meanwhile, Carolina for one who's been mentioned as one of greatest for her SS has a long setup for almost every jump of hers. Plus, there aren't many who could garner the speed with just a couple of crossovers/pushes like Kim.

    Skating skills I think have lots with edges and fluidity than they have with jumping ability.

    I'd categorize them as
    Great ones:
    Yuna Kim
    Carolina Kostner
    Akiko Suzuki

    Good ones:
    Joannie Rochette
    Mao Asada

    Decent ones:
    Alissa Ciszny
    Mirai Nagasu
    Ashley Wagner
    Yukari Nakano

    Mediocre ones:
    Miki Ando
    Sarah Meier
    Emily Hughes
    Kimmie Meissner

    Of course, it's "great, good, decent, and mediocre" for top senior ladies, not in general field.

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Age
    24
    Posts
    9,017
    vCash
    1529
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    I'm so surprised that Kimmie and Emily are at the bottom of nearly everyone's list! I've never heard of anyone complaining about their skating skills... All I've heard is that Kimmie has windmill arms and that Emily's skating is heavy...
    I'm not at all surprised about Hughes, who is easily the worst of the skaters listed in every category. But I am surprised about Meissner. Despite her airplane arms, I never would have thought people would categorize her as having mediocre or bad skating skills. I always thought she had good use of edges and speed, though unfortunately she never was able to reach her potential and I'll always be sad about that.

  3. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,844
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    ^^ Yuna's shown her ability do them easily with a required step into them in SP performances, both lutz and flip. The setup you pointed out can only be shown in her attempt for 3-3s, solo flip and her second lutz later in the programs so I'd argue that crossovers are needed for her in this case because they are indeed difficult and important ones whereas she could easily add ina bauer or spread eagle directly into jumps like 3s, 2a-3t. Meanwhile, Carolina for one who's been mentioned as one of greatest for her SS has a long setup for almost every jump of hers. Plus, there aren't many who could garner the speed with just a couple of crossovers/pushes like Kim.

    Skating skills I think have lots with edges and fluidity than they have with jumping ability.

    I'd categorize them as
    Great ones:
    Yuna Kim
    Carolina Kostner
    Akiko Suzuki

    Good ones:
    Joannie Rochette
    Mao Asada

    Decent ones:
    Alissa Ciszny
    Mirai Nagasu
    Ashley Wagner
    Yukari Nakano

    Mediocre ones:
    Miki Ando
    Sarah Meier
    Emily Hughes
    Kimmie Meissner

    Of course, it's "great, good, decent, and mediocre" for top senior ladies, not in general field.
    I was actually also shocked that Carolina was not ranked first unanimously for her SS. Posters always say how Carolina's SS are and yet some of the posters have put her 3rd or lower in terms of SS.

    I'm also shocked by the number of posters who have put Joannie behind Yuna and some others. From other threads, it seemed like Carolina's SS>>Joannie's SS>> Yuna's SS>>Mao's SS...

  4. #24
    Fetalized since 1998
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Waving my Adam banner
    Posts
    2,522
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10131
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    I'm not at all surprised about Hughes, who is easily the worst of the skaters listed in every category. But I am surprised about Meissner. Despite her airplane arms, I never would have thought people would categorize her as having mediocre or bad skating skills. I always thought she had good use of edges and speed, though unfortunately she never was able to reach her potential and I'll always be sad about that.
    ITA, Kimmie had great edges, I thought.

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    2,770
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Kostner
    Kim
    Rochette
    Nagasu
    Asada
    Suzuki
    Meissner
    Wagner
    Czisny
    Meier
    Nakano
    Ando
    Hughes

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Venice, Italy
    Age
    28
    Posts
    480
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    1 Kostner
    2 Asada
    3 Czisny
    4 Kim, Suzuki
    6 Rochette
    7 Meier
    8 Wagner
    9 Nagasu
    10 Ando
    11 Nakano
    12 Hughes
    13 Meissner
    CaroFan™

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    4,284
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Czisny has great SS?

    And some have Kim above Kostner....LOL. Kim doesn't even come close. She may be fast and strong, but she doesn't strike me as someone who has effortless glide or run to her blades.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    1 mile from Ice Rink
    Posts
    2,977
    vCash
    550
    Rep Power
    1708
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    Are Yuna's SS really that great? They're good, but she uses an awful lot of crossovers for someone with her level of SS (which really looks obvious when you look at her setup to her lutzes).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emOBxsV3atI

    Video from ISU above explains 7 times strokes (or crossovers) is well.... not awful but needed to obtain speed prior to the jump elements. In the vid, there're 3 excellent skaters for example and 1st skater (in the vid ) also used 7 strokes for 13 seconds prior to the element and most of the ice like Yuna. And her speed is.
    Last edited by RunnersHigh; 07-16-2012 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Link Edited
    This too will pass away.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    69
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7
    Kim and Asada are both overrated. Kim had speed but her skating was rough while Asada can look pretty but is actually rather slow.

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Entre Pinto y Valdemoro
    Posts
    703
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I suppose you all are rating Kostner because these 2 past seasons, when she's a mature skater. She seemed very out of control before for me. Make this poll in 2010 and I bet she would be nowhere near Yuna and Asada or Rochette and more in the range of Ando.
    Anyway, it's very difficult to rank them all but l'etoile list is the more appropiate, ImHo

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Zealand
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,694
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    ^ Yes she would. Kostner has always been known for her skating skills. Also I don't see where Kim's skating is rough. And Asada is not slow. Sure she is not the fastest amongst many of these skaters but her skating skills are very good.

  12. #32

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    1 mile from Ice Rink
    Posts
    2,977
    vCash
    550
    Rep Power
    1708
    Quote Originally Posted by gingercrush View Post
    And Asada is not slow. Sure she is not the fastest amongst many of these skaters but her skating skills are very good.
    You're right! I saw her *LIVE* three times in competitions and her speed is not that slow at all.
    This too will pass away.

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    256
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    One whose SS is overrated is Czisny.

  14. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    253
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Kim, Kostner >>>>>>>>>>> Rochette, Suzuki, Asada >>> Nagasu, Czisny, Nakano >> etc...


  15. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    2,770
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RunnersHigh View Post
    You're right! I saw her *LIVE* three times in competitions and her speed is not that slow at all.
    No, she's not slow. I think that perception is because people always compare her directly to Yuna who is super fast.

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    2,770
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by t.mann View Post
    One whose SS is overrated is Czisny.
    ITA. I like Czisny, and she certainly has quiet edges and easy movement, but I think skaters should demonstrate speed and power in addition to that. For that reason, I think Nagasu is somewhat underrated in this thread. I didn't see her last year, but when she's on she can skate with Yuna-like speed, Mao-like delicacy, covers every inch of the ice, and doesn't look like she's breaking a sweat.

    Not one of the greats, and not listed in this thread, but I give Sasha Cohen a LOT of credit for improving her skating skills after 2002. She really came a long way. She went from "deficient" to "above average" IMO.

  17. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,844
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    ^ Yes, I am so surprised by Mirai rather low ranking for her SS. When I started this poll, I actually also thought that Sarah Meier would be ranked last out of all the skaters, considering her non-existent knee bend... What's wrong with Kimmie's and Emily's SS and what's better about Sarah's?

  18. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,844
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    New (Longer) List! Rank the SS of these Senior Ladies... I'm really interested to see where people would put Irina and Michelle.

    1. Miki Ando
    2. Mao Asada
    3. Yuna Kim
    4. Kimmie Meissner
    5. Yukari Nakano
    6. Carolina Kostner
    7. Sarah Meier
    8. Emily Hughes
    9. Joannie Rochette
    10. Ashley Wagner
    11. Alissa Czisny
    12. Mirai Nagasu
    13. Akiko Suzuki
    14. Sasha Cohen
    15. Kiira Korpi
    16. Laura Lepisto
    17. Gracie Gold
    18. Rachael Flatt
    19. Michelle Kwan
    20. Irina Slutskaya

  19. #39
    aka IceSkate98
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    6,678
    vCash
    12575
    Rep Power
    42207
    Thanks for adding to the list. This is pretty tough considering how many talented skaters are listed.

    1. Michelle Kwan
    2. Yuna Kim
    3. Joannie Rochette
    4. Irina Slutskaya
    5. Sasha Cohen
    6. Carolina Kostner
    7. Mirai Nagasu
    8. Miki Ando
    9. Mao Asada
    10. Kiira Korpi
    11. Yukari Nakano
    12. Akiko Suzuki
    13. Kimmie Meissner
    14. Rachael Flatt
    15. Sarah Meier
    16. Alissa Czisny
    17. Emily Hughes
    18. Ashley Wagner
    19. Laura Lepisto
    20. Gracie Gold
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

  20. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,844
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Wow... Laura Lepisto that low?!?! And Rachael Flatt at 14th? And Sasha Cohen ahead of Carolina?!?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •