Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

vCash
    Did anyone watch the pair teams this morning? Nice to see BC finally coming out with a couple teams

vCash
    I missed the free dances, went back to look at them now, and noticed that Orford/Williams and Edwards/Pang are not among the archived free dances. Did they not skate?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    VA/S and O/W both skated. Junior leaders Edwards/Pang did not . More later when I have a keyboard.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I donít know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post
    I missed the free dances, went back to look at them now, and noticed that Orford/Williams and Edwards/Pang are not among the archived free dances. Did they not skate?
    I watched the stream live, and the video kept skipping during Orford/Williams. I thought it was just my connection, but maybe it was a technical problem on their end.

Edwards/Pang have the first JGP next week, so maybe that's why they skipped the FD.

vCash
    A few of my favourite performances from the day:

In novice ice dance:
    Danielle Wu/Spencer Su http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24803268

Brianna Delmaestro/Graeme Gordon: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24803355

I haven't seen the results, but they probably remained top two in some order. There was nothing as voidy as the Edwards/Pang 'Kermit the Frog' free dance or the Bruser/Lum 'Wizard of Oz' free dance of two years ago, though.

The final novice ladies were much bettter than I expected. Two of my favourites:

Tilyna Pawer: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24800251

Belvina Mao:http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24800353

In junior dance, Noa Bruser//Timothy Lum were much better than in the original dance. It seems to me that their speed has improved noticeably from last year. He seems to have gained strength, too, since their lifts seem much more effortless than last season. I hope she doesn't outgorw him; since this partnership works really well IMO.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24803767

And another great dance, Caelen Dalmer/Shene Firus. Unfortunately I think she will outgrow him in the next year. Maybe not, though - remember Virtue/Moir:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24804040

vCash
    Did anyone notice what Orford & Williams skated to?

At LPIDC, all they said was "Ballroom mix"
    Not very informative.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geoskate View Post

And another great dance, Caelen Dalmer/Shene Firus. Unfortunately I think she will outgrow him in the next year. Maybe not, though - remember Virtue/Moir:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24804040
    She looks taller than him now. It's made worse by the fact that he gets down into his knees a lot more than she does.

I bet he's done growing. I wonder how old he is?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Shane Firus turned 18 in February: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013696.htm
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Did anyone notice what Orford & Williams skated to?

At LPIDC, all they said was "Ballroom mix"
    Not very informative.
    It's selections from High Society.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lavenderblue View Post
    It's selections from High Society.
    Thank you! When the music started to play, I immediately thought of "Funny Face," but, thankfully, the program is nothing like it. It's a great program.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    She looks taller than him now. It's made worse by the fact that he gets down into his knees a lot more than she does.

I bet he's done growing. I wonder how old he is?
    She is taller than he is. I don't think I've seen so many tall girls in general in a skating competition.

I wouldn't be surprised if both of them have grown in the last year. He's certainly filled out. There's nothing boyish about him anymore.

Vanessa Crone should have headed west.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I donít know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I got there in time to see two couples in Pre-Novice, and the stands were full. At first there were loud, snotty, snarky parents who were and wuzrobbing the results standing behind me -- made me nostalgic for the shrieky kids from Victoria -- but they moved, leaving me surrounded by very nice parents and adult friends of skaters. One woman, seeing my notebook, asked me if I was a judge. Maybe I should have said yes, taken bribes, and started an event FSU fund, but hindsight is 20/20.

I had no internet connectivity in the rink, so no Shazaam music ID's, even if the hit rate is suspect. Default black pants for the men, unless otherwise noted.

I think it's a requirement that Pre-novice and Novice teams do a carry lift with the man in a besti with the woman draped over one of his legs.

The first team was Ponn/Bridgewood. Their music started with "Let's Fly Away" and continued in that ilk. Highlights were the opening besti lift, lots of ice coverage on the first side of twizzles, nice hold changes in the circ FW, which included a lunge. There were lots of hold changes in general, even if they were side-to-side. The program did remind me of why I didn't miss dance spins in the SD at all. He's very strong, and conveys strength and power. He also has very good posture and knees.

Collier/Royal. He was in jeans and she was dressed for a hoe-down, which was their theme. Highlights were a fast spin with very positions, closed holds in the circ FW, and a nice rotational lift. In the besti, he played her like a fiddle. She had a couple of falls, once coming around the corner from the circ FW and one which might have been during a highlight move (or an aborted lift?). The program isn't an easy one, but they "get" the idea of details. In the other phases, he tended to look like he was thinking, and the character of this piece gave him a chance to concentrate on character.

On to Novice (9 couples)

Chase/Dudley were first. She wore a day-glo pink one shoulder dress with a sparkly pattern and a yellow underskirt. Mambo. They were a bit slow and languid for the music in the opening mambo section, but they were at there best when the music had the same qualities. They didn't have a lot of speed and flow.

Vanderzalm/Lochhead. She wore a red and black dress with a ruffled skirt. Tango. Highlights were a very good second twizzle set, a forward-moving carry lift where she had one skate on his and did a split in the air, good speed and positions in the rotational lift. The program was pretty open, and here's where I started to see the trade-offs made: open with speed and flow vs. closed and more difficult.

Milne/Mendita. Highlights: great first set of flowing, open-legged twizzles, around into non-hold SL FW, good speed into rotational lift, without hesitation, subtle into lift in which he was in low back arabesque position, lovely positions (Milne) in the dance spin. If PJ Kwong were there, I think she would have said, "I'd like to see deeper knee action."

Wood/Hartwell. She wore a flowy magenta with deep v-neck (and illusion fabric). He wore a velvet Russian-style jacket. Rock and Roll, second part of which was "Hey Jude." Highlights: her final spin position was lovely, good flow in the circ FW, excellent first set of twizzles from a hop entrance. The Keep-It-Simple-Stupid concept really worked for them.

Very busy warm-up, with five dance couples and a few near-collisions and covert embryonic Babs stares.

Linden/Miller. He's wore a pale green shiny close-fitting shirt and black pants. She was in this great sleeveless high-waisted below-the-knee summer dress, with thin straps and a chiffony skirt with wide floral-patterned stripes alternating between purple and light apricot. I expected the music to be "Summer of '42," but it was "Hey Jude" again. Highlights: the big, long strokes they take, beautiful, strong spin, lots of speed in midline steps without progressives, fast rotational spin. They were great to watch: an appealing physical match and lots of amplitude in their skating. They had attack, but they flowed and were never harsh. He has a solid, centered quality, and looks very strong.

Seewalk/Fell. He wore a purple shirt and black pants. Her skirt was a lighter shade of purple, with a long-sleeved white top. Music started with tinkly piano, the preamble to a vocal duet. Highlights: Lovely circ footwork, a rink-length lift, I assume a combo lift, mirrored twizzles (which still need some work), very close in the midline footwork. The final spin was a bit wrestly and rocky. The choreography was great and the elements were connected. They had very good presentation, he especially.

Gingrich/Kinrade. He wore a white shirt and velour vest, and she wore a black and sparkly tango dress. Highlights: great open leg twizzles, and loved her knees in the open midline FW. He's got the facial expression thing going. Huge squeal from the Victoria girls at the end of the program. The closest thing to an OES team this year.

Wu/Su. He wore a pale gray shirt with suspenders and dark gray pants. She wore a light apricot below-the-knee dress with a white Peter Pan/cape collar/sleeves. The skirt looked great in the twizzles. Ragtime. Highlights: pretty much the entire program. Great spin with a change without putting his foot down to reset, extended, finished movement, program skated with detail and polish, very close together in the the non-hold midline FW, fantastic final lift, where he flipped her up right in front of the judges into a fast rotational lift. It was a little slow in building, but they have a complimentary, understated pizzazz with elegance. They screamed the total package, from head to toe, and that's saying a lot, considering that this is Wing and Lowe's MO. One of the very best programs all afternoon in composition and performance

Delmaestro/Gordon. He's in all black with sparkles and shiny buttons. Her dress is a low-cut lilac/silver sparkly top with a magenta tulle skirt. Latin. Highlights: huge speed in circ FW, lots of speed and attack -- they move, move, move. They had some issues -- they had to pull back into sync on the twizzles, the spin was labored, and she bounces her twizzles -- but what's most missing for me is the sense of being a single entity. It's hard, though, to follow a Wing/Lowe team when there isn't much packaging.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    On to the Wing and Lowe Show. They should just invest in a couple of chairs at the side of the rink.

Juniors:

Bruser/Lum. Dressed like Robin Hood and Maid Marion. Last year's program? The costumes look familiar. Highlights: speed and attack from the outset, nice twizzles -- his are -- skating in closed hold right up into a lift, lovely, even-tempoed spin. The choreography (?) lift at the end was rough, but they had no hesitancy and were committed. He is a freaking

Aghai/Partenan. She was in red, aqua, and gold and white trim, like Cleopatra. (Shazaam says Egypics/Beats Antique based on the recorded video.) He wore a gold and black shirt and gold sash, black pants. Highlights: hop into twizzles, great rotational lift, lots of speed. In this program, they don't look gelled like a pair, and the attack didn't help. That wasn't true of their SD, which I think was a much better performance and program.

Dalmer/Firus. She wore a white dress with an asymmetrical hem. He wore a dark brown velvet onepiece with gold sparkle patterns. Highlights: nice fly into hold lift, with him low, strong twizzles, counter-intuitive turns in the choreography, the program kept moving. They don't look as much of a couple as B/L, but they looked much more coherent than A/P. As far as I know, they didn't announce their scores after the program, but went to the Seniors warm-up. (At least no one around me heard the scores, either.)

Seniors:

Van As/Shindle. She wore a white-polka dot on black dress with pink belt and underskirt. He wore a tight white t-shirt with pocket and jeans. (When I saw him standing by the boards, I thought he was a skater who had already changed into his street clothes.) American Bandstand, starting with "Bye Bye Love", also "Put Your Head On My Shoulder." (Wheeeee -- I recognized some music.) Highlights: nice twizzles from a hop entrance, lots of facing holds in FW, sadly, a note I can't decipher. The elliptical lift looked labored, but most of the program flowed, and they stayed in character.

Orford/Williams. She wore a metal blue satin halter v-neck dress with a flared skirt. He wore a gray vest over white shirt, black pants, and a dark cravat. The music started, and all I could think was "MGM." The entire program was a highlight reel: huge circular FW pattern with great flow, lovely up and over into lift, beautiful flow in the spin, great side one twizzles in attititude position, fabulous rotating lift, stunning lift where she changes position while he is on one foot in arabesque, great chor lift to end. All of the elements were integrated, the transitions in the music from fast to slow were seamless, as were their skating transitions. They skated with so much more ease and breath than in the SD, even if Williams in jeans is a gift to anyone who likes men. Great program. This easily should be competitive with Ralph/Hill and Paul/Islam, and should, in the other sense of the word, be competitive with Gilles/Poirier. Post-Sochi is going to be incredible for Canadian dance.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 08-20-2012 at 12:32 AM.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The protocols are up, and I wasn't seeing things, at least this time: Kevin Reynold's opening jump was 4S, not 4Lo.

vCash
    First time seeing Edwards/Pang. She's got an incredibly special quality.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345