Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The three juvenile couples were the Behiels, brother and sister about the same height, Sweet/Baimoukhametov, also similar in height and young looking, and an older couple, Huynh/Fawcett, who, not surprisingly, skated with more oomph, ease, and maturity, especially the radiant Hu. Baimoukhametov had good presence, and they seemed to enjoy themselves. The Behiels looked more confident and expressive in their second dance. She leads him around a bit too much. He showed glimpses of musical phrasing when she wasn't.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I donít know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Watching the Senior SD stream...

Orford/Williams with the country polka/waltz. Sold (Grundy County Auction Incident)/Tennessee Waltz (very short section)/Sold (again). Kind of abrupt music cuts, but I thought they skated well. Of course I know nothing about CD levels. The polka is a fast dance! 57.41

Van As/Shindle traditional polka. Their music is to me, particularly the second cut. 45.90

vCash
    Sr men warm up- Jeremy having problems with 3 lutz combo. Kevin busting out jumps no problem, 4 sal, 3axel combo solid. Liam doing huge double axels. Popped 2 triple attempts into singles, just fell on the last attempt as announcer calls end of warm up. May have been a tiny bit underrotated.

vCash
    Kevin Reynolds was incredible. Flawless and he has improved SO much upon every aspect of his skating. Watch out, he could be contending for podiums this season if he continues to skate like this!

Jeremy Ten was also very good. Yes, two falls on 3A (predictable) but clean otherwise and very pleasant to watch. Lovely choreography and musical interpretation.

Liam Firus bombed, sadly, falling four times.

vCash
    Jairus Godrey- rough performance. Had a big fall toward the end of the program on nothing. Looks a bit outclassed here. 56 in long.

Greame Gordon- love his outfit and music! What is that from? He skates a bit small, I'd love to see him use the richness of the music more. Jumps seemed to get stronger toward the end of the program but no big tricks. 90 in long, total 136?

Maciej Cieplucha- Again in Euro black Oof fell backwards on crossovers right at the start, good recovery into 3lutz3toe. Only a 2axel. 3flip(e). 3salchow. 3loop2toe. He looks solid. Awkward fall on 3lutz right as I type that 3loop nice. Nice choreographic steps into single axel. Music didn't really seem like it had too much to do with his performance. Long 117, total 173.

Jeremy Ten in his signature deep cut v style shirt. Cream coloured top, black pants, skating to Il Postino. And a signature fall on the triple axel. 3lutz3toe nice, perhaps not covering as much ice as in seasons past. Yet another 3axel fall. Lovely circular footwork, this music suits him much more than the short. 3loop waaayyy off in the air, saved it with a hop out. 3lutz2toe. 2axel bit wild on the landing. 3flip eeked out, possible e. Beautiful combo spin to finish. He's frustrating to watch because there's so much talent but he's not progressing with the jumps, he's falling on the axel in literally the exact same way as he has for years. Would've been interesting to see what another coach could've done with him. Thank goodness Nam has escaped Joanne's clutches. Long 133, total 192. Wow, I don't think he was 20 points better than Cieplucha, it'll be interesting to look at the protocols.

Liam Firus- Muse! 3axel fall. 3lutz. 3flip fall. 2axel3toe. 3loop turn out. 2lutz3toe fall. 1axel2loop. This is a good program for him, the music is very mature and will push him. I hope he'll get more connection to the audience as the season progresses. 3sal fall. It's not all Muse, there are several music cuts in there. He looks disappointed with that performance. That was... not good. His coaches talking intensely in the kiss and cry. Long 114, total 175. Cieplucha got hosed methinks.

Kevin Reynolds- in Canadian black. Giving good expression right from the start, we'll see if he can keep it up. 4sal, 2 foot. 4toe2toe slight 2foot again. 3axel2toe again looks like he grazed the ice with his free foot. Piano music I can't identify, sounds like something Rachmaninoff?? 3(?)toe. 2axel. 3flip. 3lutz. 3sal. Much head flinging in the choreo sequence, unfortunately that's all I can see because his Canadian black outfit makes him disappear against the dark boards. Actually he disappeared in this performance quite a lot so it makes it hard to judge. But no doubt he's improved a lot in the off season. He has good energy at the end of this, he appears well trained. This should be first by a country mile. Happy in the kiss and cry. Long 146, total 216.
    Last edited by triple_toe; 08-18-2012 at 06:02 AM.

vCash
    Kevin not attempting ANY loop in the LP??

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Kevin Reynolds' FS music is Concerto no. 4 for Piano and Orchestra by Andrť Mathieu (a French-Canadian composer); Kenji Miyamoto choreographed. I recognized the middle section as being from the "Romantic Rhapsody" FS music used by Rachael Flatt when she won 2008 Junior Worlds and re-used at 2009 Worlds.

ETA link to Reynold's FS video: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24786867

Jeremy Ten kept his FS music from last season to the "Il Postino" film soundtrack - good music for him. I thought Maciej Cieplucha expressed his music well - it's a string quartet and piano version of the "Cinema Paradiso" film soundtrack.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-18-2012 at 06:24 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    ^Thanks for the music ID Sylvia! I liked the music quite a bit. And Spazactaz, no there was no loop that I saw.

vCash
    Onto Senior Ladies!

Alexandra Rynn- light pink flowy dress. 2axel. 3loop fall. 3salchow fall. Her height is very unusual and gives her a lovely long look on the ice, but it probably makes jumping harder. 2something-2toe. 2axel. 2lutz2toe. 2salchow. Good use of her arms but needs to work on her extension. Long 67, total 98.

Jane Gray, announced as Jaqueline Leniuk. Oops. Beautiful moss green dress with purple underskirt. 2axel-2toe, looked like she popped a 3toe into a double. Popped flip. 3salchow 2 hands down. Walley into 3toe-2toe very nice. 2lutz, seemed intentional. 3salchow fall, but from a back spiral entrance This program is loaded with transitions! 2axel. She carries herself very well on the ice and her 2axel is just lovely. Long 72, total 112. She seems quite upset at the scores.

Jaqueline Leniuk (the real one). Verrny sparkly halter dress, blue skirt with light blue underskirt, steel coloured top. 3toe fall out. 3loop. Popped salchow. 2axel-2toe. Totally missed her toe attempt, didn't even take off, just walked through it. 2salchow. 2axel. Slooooow spin. Layback was pretty until she got to the beillman. Long 72, total 112, just behind Jane Gray.

Amanda Hoffman. Pink dress with purple swirls. 3loop. She has wonderful back flexibility, you can see it in her extensions and landing positions. Pops the lutz. 3flip step out 2 toe. Beaauutiful flexy combo spin. Salchow popped. 3flip fall. 3loop fall. Gorgeous choreo steps!! 1 axel. Fantastic layback to end, very neat way to grab the beillman. Long 70, total 111.

Kitty Qian. White dress with black on one side, very reminiscent of Sasha's Tat Swan Lake dress. And yep, we're doing Black Swan. 3toe nice. 3loop. Spread Eagle in solid 3Salchow-2toe. 2axel. She could stop now and win by 20 points. 3toe-2toe. Pops Salchow. 2axel-2toe-1loop a bit scratchy. Her choreography is a bit frantic and she really needs to work on her posture but this was good! She looks very consistent, she was strong on the warm up too. Long 89, total 138.

vCash
    It should be noted that Mitchell Gordon landed a triple axel in his long program tonight. I thnk that's a first for him, and pretty significant. He was certainly animated in the K&C, and that might be why.

Would Kitty Qian be considered for a JGP assignment? The apparent lack of a triple flip might hurt her chances, perhaps. In any case, she certainly has improved from last season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazactaz View Post
    Kevin not attempting ANY loop in the LP??
    I am pretty sure that first quad was a 4L. I think he doesn't do a later 3loop because of the very good chance that he underrotates the quad.

Best program and performance of the night? Madeline Edwards / Zhao kai Pang. Boy, that was a mature, sultry and chic. Well skated too.

And the Polish skater is cute!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post

Best program and performance of the night? Madeline Edwards / Zhao kai Pang. Boy, that was a mature, sultry and chic. Well skated too.
    ITA! Loved them!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I am pretty sure that first quad was a 4L. I think he doesn't do a later 3loop because of the very good chance that he underrotates the quad.
    Again I thought it was a Sal, but then I thought it was a Sal yesterday too, because he goes into it with such ease, and without the "Need washroom squat" telegraphed entrance.

They did not look like Juniors at all. They

And the Polish skater is cute!
    Seriously. I don't remember Cieplucha being particularly cute last year, but, wow. He had a bunch of female fans among the skater girls, too.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I donít know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Phone connectivity was choking after Juveniles, so here are my notes:

Pre-novice, three couples. First the European Waltz:

Ravie Ponn/Cedar Bridgewood. The most notable differences between them and the Juvenile are in posture -- not so much bending at the waist -- and the depth of the nodes. His movement is plush.

Natascha Collier/Lee Royer (Royal Glenora Club). She's got style, and while not so much power, nice glide. Her smile is lovely and looks natural. His posture is

Karlissa Lem/Le Vu. Who coaches at Juan De Fuca FSC? Their coach looks a little like Margolio from the side. Both are long-limbed and slender, and have a nice look on the ice. They have a nice connection, but their phrasing is very square.

Harris Tango. There was a quick costume change, and Lem/Vu lost half of their warm-up so that she could change into a gorgeous black dress.

Collier/Royer. She changes demeanor for this one -- no smiles here -- and she had spunk. Very impressive. Did I mention his posture?

Lam/Vu. Again nice look on the ice, but not much tango inflection.

Ponn/Bridgewood. This didn't click for me: it felt like they weren't on the same page, unlike the earlier waltz.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Novice Dance. There were nine couples in Blues, and eight in Westminster Waltz. WW has the oddest pattern, looking like a parallelogram, cutting off entire corners of the rink. At our end, it looked like they were about to abandon the dance and head to KnC, but then they went around the corner. The biggest changes from the Pre-Novice to Novice were toe point, closeness, amplitude, and ice dance attitude.

Alexa Linden/Tyler Miller. She does the first hair wipe. (It is the Blues after all.) Nice lean over the blades, deep nodes, and languid expression.

Abigail Seewald/Jared Fell (Royal Glenora). Their hips are so close together. I don't know if they have the same coach(es) as Collier/Royer, but there's something precise and detailed about both of these teams.

Andie Gingrich/Liam Kinrade. A cluster of kids from their club, Racket Club of Victoria, were there to cheer them on and later made McKayla Mahoney faces when another team scored significantly higher than they did. Another couple tied at the hips. They had power, but he leans into her a bit.

Abigail Chase/Scott Dudley (WA). They moved well together. He has a tendency to scrunch his shoulders or his back, as if he's leading her that way.

Kennedy Vanderzalm/Evan Lochead. First day glo semi-slutty costume on her, this one in orange. Both are tall and lean. He's leaning into her, but oh, what exquisite toe point she has.

Michaela Milne/Randy Mendita. More beautiful toepoint. He's a lot taller than she is, and tends to scrunch down to her.

Brianna Delmaestro/Graeme Gordon (he also does Sr. Men). More long lines and toe point. Nice expression.

Ashley Wood/Alex Hartwell. He's really tall, but his upper body is pretty still, and he looks like he's leading from the hips.

Danielle Wu/Spencer Soo. They take big long glides, and their lines are long and quite lovely.

The Westminster Waltz was a lot duller, and many of the couples that danced with Blues with nice expression looked academic in the waltz. I didn't take many notes on this one.

Vanderzalm caught a toe pick coming out of the last pattern into the ending business

Delmaestro returned in a much nice light orange dress. Instead of a clear strap across the back to hold it together, there was a piece of illusion fabric, but it looked like it only came up to where a plastic strap would be, about mid-back. I've never noticed a design like that before.

Wu/Soo had very nice waltz quality and got the expression of the dance more than in the Blues, although their lines were lovely to watch there.

Seewald/Fell had the best waltz quality to me: the whole thing was very dancey and lilting.

It was great seeing Juvenile through Novice couples do multiple patterns (CDs).

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Junior SD. Set pattern was the Blues, and they had the option of another Blues rhythm, Swing, and Hip Hop. None of them chose Hip Hop, at least that I recognized. All of them are coached by Wing/Lowe, according to W/L's website, although Dalmer/Firus skate for Vancouver SC and the rest skate for SC of Port Moody.

Noa Bruser/Timothy Lum. She put her foot down on or right before the second set of twizzles They were very smooth in the patterns. The lift showed the character of the dance. He's a fantastic dancer, somehow skating deep on his edges but being light on his feet at the same time.

Madeline Edwards/Zhaokai Pang. Fast, sharp, deep flowing edges on the pattern. Killer twizzles. Fantastic choreography, with both rhythms (Blues and Swing) integrated beautifully, and both of them skated equally strongly and with such confidence. The highlight of the day.

Sara Aghai/Jussiville Partinen. They only had been together for a short while when they skated her last summer, but what a difference a year has made in their skills and confidence. They skated with so much energy, and the music selections really suited them. They were given an L4 for the first Blues pattern, the lift, and the twizzles, and L2's for the second blues pattern and the non-touching mid-line FW. Their GOE wasn't spectacular, .89 over base, but their 27.X TES was almost identical to what they got at Jr. Worlds last year. It doesn't hurt that he's as as Thomas Williams.

Caelen Dalmer/Shane Firus. They had a nice transition from the dynamic opening section to the slow Blues for the pattern, and then his strap came off. There was a Great Purse Search for a safety pin, and starting from where they left off, while it took a little time before they captured the pulse of the music, they found their stride and skated strongly enough to place second.

Senior SD. Yankee Polka, plus more Polka, March, or Waltz. Meh.

Nicole Orford/Thomas Williams. She's a cowgirl, with dark red suede knee-high boots, and he's dress as a cowboy. This program is hard-driving, and they wrastle it to the ground and hog-tie it, but it feels very horizontal, without much lilt. The waltz section was approached the same way, and it could use some ease, to differentiate from the first and last sections, and to give us a chance to breathe. It felt tough. They are obviously wonderful dancers, but this could use a more musical approach.

Larissa Van As/Troy Shindle. Yes, she was wearing a dirndl, and he was in lederhosen. they're not in the same league as O/W technically, but this program was so much easier to watch. It had lovely choreography and lilt, and they differentiated the feeling of each section.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Junior Men's FS.

Drew Wolfe. Generates a lot of speed and flow and attacks his elements. He tends to lands his jumps low, and he even landed a few in a lunge position. (The 3Lz looked pretty cool with that landing, very Zorro-esque.) He struggled.

Kurtis Hori. Grieg Piano Concerto. He digs under the jump to get the 2A. He, too, struggled with his jumps. He did a very nice camel-ch-camel spin. His legs looked spent by the end of the program, but he rallied to do a nice job on the SL FW.

Shawn Cuevas. Couldn't buy a jump tonight, but excellent spins, wonderful posture, power and flow, and musicality galore. He has a wonderful quality of movement around the ice.

Michell Gordon. His music sounded like Sweet Caroline: An Orchestral Fantasy. Landed a 3A, hands down. Gets a lot of loft on his jumps, but comes down flat rather than flowing out of some of them, making the landings crunchy. Great spins with very crisp positions. Excellent early season performance for him, winning both segments by substantial margins.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 08-18-2012 at 10:07 AM.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Senior Men's FS.

Jairus Godfrey moves beautifully across the ice, but not much was working for him tonight, and he looked exhausted by the end.

Graeme Gordon. A long night for him, with two Novice Pattern Dances earlier in the day. Doubled some attempts and had jump problems, but he pushed up the speed and energy in the CH Sequence and into a final spin with interesting variations.

Maciej Cieplucha. Started out with a random fall going around the corner to pick up speed, recovered, and then landed an opening 3/3. 2A. 3F was high and easy. He had a real slow section in the program. Landed more triples, down on the 3Lz. He skated to a gentle, romantic piece of music, as if he was speaking to an imaginary partner. Flew through the CH sequence. Not your average macho guy program.

Jeremy Ten. He was grabbing his right quad during warm-up, and then again on the way to Kiss and Cry. On the jumps, he won some, and he lost some, but he didn't seem to be skating with his characteristic ease.

Liam Firus. Must. Stop. Ubering. Skaters. Beautiful movement quality, with deep edges, speed, power, soft knees; he made everyone but Godfrey and Reynolds look scratchy. Many of the jumps were atilt and scary, and he went down repeatedly. Sigh.

Kevin Reynolds skated beautifully. Lovely program for him, with lots of nuance, and he's moving better and better each year.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Senior Women's FS.

Japan's Ishikawa did not skate the FS. I hadn't realized how tall all of the women who did skate are. These are not tiny waifs, although some are very slender with long legs, but no wonder they struggle with jumps: their center of gravity is pretty high up. They're also wonderful spinners, although the speed-killing Biellmann's mostly need to go.

After the Senior Men's FS, a lot of people left the building, but a swarm of young girls, many of them still in performance outfits and matching sparkly street flats, took their place. (Novice, and Junior Women skated earlier in the day and the Pre-Novice Women skated in Rink 1 until 7pm.) They screamed like mad for their club heroes.

Highlights:

Alexandra Rynn had a beautiful back spiral position and wonderful final spin.

Jane Gray's layback was lovely, and the Biellmann didn't kill her spin. Really nice transition from SL FW to CH sequence, with a very different feel to the latter.

Jacqueline Lenuik did a gorgeous spread eagle, fabulous spin, and beautiful layback until the Biellmann.

Amanda Hofmann skated to a guy soundtrack, and she kept up the energy and interpretation, especially in the SL FW. Her spins were fantastic -- flying sit into CH sequence -- and the layback.

Kitty Qian landed at least four solid triples (T, S, Lo), two in combination, and two 2A's, one in combination. She didn't look as smooth as she did on the video from last night's SP, but she kept up her energy until the SL FW, where it tapered a bit. She recovered for the CH sequence, which included a long Ina Bauer and forward catch foot spiral, and she ended with a beautiful combo spin. She skated like she wanted to win the competition. One of the parents (not hers) who chatted up manhn said she had been injured, but after months off the ice, has healed and is back. It would be great if she were assigned to another competition to test her mettle.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Results/Protocols: http://www.skatinginbc.com/results/b...rskate-results

Thanks for the first-hand reports/notes and play-by-play!

Kitty Qian SP (48.68): http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24761695
    Kitty Qian FS (89.62): http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24787627
    Shoko Ishikawa (JPN) SP (41.10): http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24761847

Kevin Reynolds FS (146.51): http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24786867
    Jeremy Ten FS (133.94): http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24786600
    Maciej Cieplucha (POL) FS (117.06): http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24786468

Mitchell Gordon Junior SP (50.08): http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24759572
    Mitchell Gordon Junior FS (110.07): http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24785878
    He is assigned to JGP #3 in Linz, Austria - ETA link to his ISU bio with updated program music (explains his blue jeans in his FS ): http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013689.htm

Nicole Orford/Thomas Williams Senior SD (57.41): http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24784725
    Larissa Van As/Troy Shindle Senior SD (45.90): http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24784864

Madeline Edwards/ZhouKai Pang Junior SD (52.51): http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24784128
    They are assigned to JGP #1 next week in Courcheval, France.

Caelen Dalmer/Shane Firus Junior SD (49.61, 2nd): http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24784372

Sara Aghai/ Jussiville Partenan (FIN) Junior SD (46.44, 3rd): http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24784248
    Noa Bruser/Timothy Lum Junior SD (43.47, 4th): http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24783998
    Both these teams are assigned to JGP #2 in Lake Placid, NY.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-18-2012 at 10:49 PM. Reason: to add Sr FS scores
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast