View Poll Results: Who is the weakest link among these past champions?

Voters
402. You may not vote on this poll
  • Michelle Kwan

63 15.67%
  • Irina Slutskaya

205 51.00%
  • Yuna Kim

134 33.33%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    vCash
    ^ No it doesn't.

Banned Member
    vCash
    I actually thought Kim's spirals looked better on tv. Many times tv wouldn't show her full body so you couldn't see how out of line it was and unpointed her foot was.
    I will not be ignored! -Me

vCash
    The thing is that it still gets relatively good GOE's because it ticks off other goe marks
    At least now she doesn't have to do four ugly positions or whatever she had to do to get level four in the past. She can just do one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Forrest View Post
    I actually thought Kim's spirals looked better on tv. Many times tv wouldn't show her full body so you couldn't see how out of line it was and unpointed her foot was.
    I guess for me, whenever I watched TV I'd always be thinking about her spiral so when I saw the fancam, I was shocked that it wasn't as bad as I originally thought.

vCash
    Kim's spirals are ugly. But I have watched a fan cam recording of her performance and from the audience's perspective, you could really understand why it was impressive - it was fast, the edge was steady and it covered so much ice. That's the +2 right there.

vCash
    KIM:
    Technical Ability: 10/10
    Artistry: 8/10
    Overall: 18/20

ASADA:
    Technical Ability :9/10
    Artistry: 8.5/10
    Overall: 17.5/20

KWAN:
    Technical Ability: 7/10
    Artistry: 10/10
    17/20

I know people will agree and disagree, but this is how i see it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    KIM:

ASADA:

KWAN:
    17/20

That's actually not a bad assessment. My reasoning for giving Michelle a higher technical score wouldn't be based on the difficulty, but on the fact that she executed so many clean back-to-back performances and 6+ triple programs throughout her career. It's a rare thing that we don't really see anymore and she did it so consistently. That has to count for something...

Based on that alone I'd bump her 7 to an 8 at least. Having the ability is very important but figure skating is all about execution and Michelle knew how to execute in the clutch 97% of of the time. That's why she was so successful. There were others who had better jumps and spins but they weren't capable of executing when the time came to lay it on the line.

As you said, I know some will disagree but...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    That's actually not a bad assessment. My reasoning for giving Michelle a higher technical score wouldn't be based on the difficulty, but on the fact that she executed so many clean back-to-back performances and 6+ triple programs throughout her career. It's a rare thing that we don't really see anymore and she did it so consistently. That has to count for something...

Based on that alone I'd bump her 7 to an 8 at least. Having the ability is very important but figure skating is all about execution and Michelle knew how to execute in the clutch 97% of of the time. That's why she was so successful. There were others who had better jumps and spins but they weren't capable of executing when the time came to lay it on the line.

As you said, I know some will disagree but...
    ITA
    "We are what we repeatedly do, therefore excellence is not an act, but a habit. " _Aristotle

vCash
    Seven triples programs are so rare in current field that I'm all over again re-appreciating Michelle's ability to have brought them more than enough.

vCash
    KIM:

ASADA:

KWAN:
    17/20

Asada has more artistry than Kim? Certainly not with any of her programs the last 4-5 years, that is for sure. Also how does someone who doesnt do a triple loop in their programs get a perfect 10 in technical ability.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Asada has more artistry than Kim? Certainly not with any of her programs the last 4-5 years, that is for sure. Also how does someone who doesnt do a triple loop in their programs get a perfect 10 in technical ability.
    because artistry is subjective

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flipforsynchro View Post
    True, but if anyone considers Mao's Tarasova programs of 2009 and 2010 artistic then Mao was a very artistic skater when she first emerged on the senior scene, that I agree with.

vCash
    True, but if anyone considers Mao's Tarasova programs of 2009 and 2010 artistic then Mao was a very artistic skater when she first emerged on the senior scene, that I agree with.
    I don't personally find either one of them super artistic, but I can see how people argue one over the other.

vCash
    I think with the correct vehicle Mao can wrap rings around Yu-Na in terms of artistry. With all of her aesthetic qualities (line, posture, grace, flow, etc.) she is capable of creating some really incredible moments on ice. She's had some lovely competition pieces (Nocturne, Claire de Lune, Libestraume) but most of her moments are in her exhibition programs (Jupiter, Ballade). Mao has to learn to bring that level of performance from her exhibitions to competitive programs.

I think Yu-Na has become a better performer during her hiatus from competition mainly b/c the only skating she's been doing is show skating and I think that has helped her presentation skills. I love Yu-Na b/c her programs are always well-choreographed and she really performs. Mao hasn't always performed; back when she was with Tarasova all she did was skate. She was so dead in the face it was disconcerting. I saw more performance from Mao this year b/c I think she was comfortable with both of her programs. I'm hoping she continues to build on her programs from this year...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I think with the correct vehicle Mao can wrap rings around Yu-Na in terms of artistry. With all of her aesthetic qualities (line, posture, grace, flow, etc.) she is capable of creating some really incredible moments on ice. She's had some lovely competition pieces (Nocturne, Claire de Lune, Libestraume) but most of her moments are in her exhibition programs (Jupiter, Ballade). Mao has to learn to bring that level of performance from her exhibitions to competitive programs.
    I thought Mao's pre-triple axel SPs were stunning. So light, effervescent, and flowing. Her SP at 2006 SA would have gotten a 10.0 for interpretation from me. It was even more magical in person than on the TV broadcast. Her LPs have never had that kind of impact for me, but Liebestraum (especially the 2nd time around) was a huge step in the right direction.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    I thought Mao's pre-triple axel SPs were stunning. So light, effervescent, and flowing. Her SP at 2006 SA would have gotten a 10.0 for interpretation from me. It was even more magical in person than on the TV broadcast. Her LPs have never had that kind of impact for me, but Liebestraum (especially the 2nd time around) was a huge step in the right direction.
    I totally agree with you re: Mao's sp at 06 SA..So light, lyrical, and lovely..I was in Hartford, also, and it was indeed magical.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flipforsynchro View Post
    True. What else would account for:
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    I totally agree with you re: Mao's sp at 06 SA..So light, lyrical, and lovely..I was in Hartford, also, and it was indeed magical.
    I was in Hartford too, and apparently found said SP completely forgettable! Seriously, if you put a gun to my head, I couldn't tell you what the music was, what color costume she wore, what the choreo was like, what jumps she landed. *poof* it was like 2.5 mins I had to endure and then it was all gone.

But tech is equally subjective, as skating is a totally subjective judged sport. That's why you get different opinions like:
    Also how does someone who doesnt do a triple loop in their programs get a perfect 10 in technical ability.
    People just fool themselves that they can justify their subjectivity more with the tech. Really, it's no different.

vCash
    KIM:

ASADA:

KWAN:
    17/20

I don't know if Yuna deserves a 10 for technical ability considering she has consistency issues with the 3 loop and that she can't do a triple axel like Mao (or the 5 other skaters who have done it in the past).

vCash
    Irina's spiral sequence at the 2006 Oly made me cringe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    True. What else would account for:
    I was in Hartford too, and apparently found said SP completely forgettable! Seriously, if you put a gun to my head, I couldn't tell you what the music was, what color costume she wore, what the choreo was like, what jumps she landed. *poof* it was like 2.5 mins I had to endure and then it was all gone.

But tech is equally subjective, as skating is a totally subjective judged sport. That's why you get different opinions likeeople just fool themselves that they can justify their subjectivity more with the tech. Really, it's no different.
    No, tech is not eqaully subjective. 3Lz-3T is much more difficult than 3T-3T and that's the fact. If you don't believe, go on the ice and try do it with singles jumps and you'll know.

On the other hand, many people love Lu Chen's presentation. I don't personally see anything particularly exceptional about her presentation.

Many people reckon that Michelle's SOTBS from 2001 Worlds is her best performance artistically, the others will say it's Lyra Angelica and there are also some who will say it's Tosca from 2004 Nationals. This is totally subjective, the range of emotions you feel from the skater etc.
    However, you can clearly evaluate the technical content of those programs and it's not subjective at all that SOTBS is the most difficult (it has a triple-triple).

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast