View Poll Results: Who is the Weakest Link?

Voters
392. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alexei Yagudin

18 4.59%
  • Evgeni Plushenko

137 34.95%
  • Stéphane Lambiel

113 28.83%
  • Daisuke Takahashi

124 31.63%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    I would spend any amount of money and travel far (and I have) to watch Yagudin because he speaks to me through his skating, and he always touches my heart.

However, I am not going to be ugly here about Plushy. He is a great skater no doubt. He just doesn't speak to me at all. But hey-I don't care if he speaks to some of you out there! Why get your knickers in such a twist?
    My sentiments exactly!
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lily View Post
    Let us continue our little private Lambiel topic. LOL
    Actually that's a problem for me - I mean that he don't do so many new styles and new kinds of music. He has one of biggest talents in skating world in the sense of choreography, interpretation, musicality and he invented some new spins which are no less interesting than Biellmann spin (I hope they get his name in the future). (And that's probably the reason he's still here, when someone is shocked).
    However, he uses always same directions: programs on classical music, jazz dance, latin theme, romantic-lyrical things. I don't say that he must do a new "Red cat" but I really would like to see something really different from him.
    I think that except a few quick 'Art on Ice' programs he has not done completely "romantic-lyrical" for some years already . It has been either together with dramatic (like 'Bring me to life') or comic ('Rigoletto'). But if you want to see something avantgarde from him, or really, really comic, I think you won't see that. It's just not him - he is more this classical, aristocratic guy, a prince, a dandy. But I guess I see his musical choices differently. Classical music is not all the same to me - 'Four Seasons' is very different from 'Rigoletto' and 'William Tell'. Which, in turn, is very different from Rachmaninov's 'Prelude in G minor'. Again - 'Rigoletto' is mostly playful and quite embellished, while 'Prelude in G minor' is serious and quite sparse. I don't perceive it as the same style, since it requires different choreo, musicality and performance style. Recently Stephane did a program to a very dramatic version of 'My Body is A Cage' - and he's never performed to such intensely dramatic, strong and almost overpowering music before.

You also have to keep in mind that Stephane peforms in shows like 'Art on Ice' (both in Switzerland and China) and 'Opera on Ice', and he has to do programs to the music from the repertoire of singers and musicians who perform there. He can't even choose completely freely from that, because the artistic directors of those shows have their own vision. Naturally, the music performed at 'Opera on Ice' is opera music, so skaters who take part have to do programs with opera music offered by the organizers. Also, Stephane did 'Prelude in G minor' because he had to choose from three classical pieces from Lang Lang's repertoire. In the end, there's quite little time left for preparing programs to the music of his own choice. And, yes, in the last two years even that has been jazz and classical (but I already wrote what I think of that). Except 'My Body is A Cage' which Stephane chose for himself, and the director of 'Art on Ice' then found a singer who could sing it live - but that's rare for 'Art on Ice'.

In any case, Stephane still has had programs in more styles than many skaters dream of (hint, hint - Plushenko - hint, hint).

vCash
    ^ Plush goes to opera on ice and art on ice too

Quote Originally Posted by GoGreen View Post
    I wonder why so many shows pay Plushenko big bucks to appear, if he cannot draw an audience. And even worse, why the organizers always let him close the first half or the second half of the show, bad bad business decision, they really don't know what the audience wants

And apparently, from the several shows I attended, all those people screaming their heads off during Plushenko's performance would demand a refund later
    ^lol, yeap that was as real a statement as kvdp having better ss than chan.

didn't you know plush is the perfect bathroom break in competition? Until he does his quad and finishes shaking the mullet you have time to buy a donut as well

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravvv View Post
    But if you want to see something avantgarde from him, or really, really comic, I think you won't see that.
    Hmmm....I think Carne Cruda was kind of avant-garde, and so was Red Cat in a way

vCash
    Adds to "He has a style of his own" statement.

Anyway, I like those programs as well, especcially the baby-Plushenko.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vodkashot View Post
    Hmmm....I think Carne Cruda was kind of avant-garde, and so was Red Cat in a way
    Yess! And so was Geissel Drama. Maybe he should use contemporary classical music to create something more sharp, even a little ugly, dramatic and painful. "My Body is a Cage" has some germs of it.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    and why is Lambiel still in the list ?
    he is the weakest link and was not throughout a dominant skater in his career
    Because everyone gets to make up their own criteria and voting strategy, as noted at the beginning of the thread?

For me, Yagudin will always lose to Plushenko, because Plushenko made fun of himself, and Yagudin wouldn't. Like a voter in any free election, I get to decide based on anything I want, even if you find my reasons stoopid.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Because everyone gets to make up their own criteria and voting strategy, as noted at the beginning of the thread?

For me, Yagudin will always lose to Plushenko, because Plushenko made fun of himself, and Yagudin wouldn't. Like a voter in any free election, I get to decide based on anything I want, even if you find my reasons stoopid.
    Though I admittedly voted for Plush this round, Plush's sense of humor is something I've always liked about him.

vCash
    Most exciting round, not only for this poll, but for all the ones going on in the Trash Can now!

Plushenko's skating might be ugly for some, including me, but he's definitely not lacking in passion and charisma and

Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818
    Plushenko made fun of himself
    Plushenko has a sense of humor, I really appreciate that about him, aside from his impressive record and his technical prowess.

If this round ends as it stands now, who will get Plushenko's votes next round? Lambiel and Takahashi have so much in common, including fans.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by senorita View Post
    ^ Plush goes to opera on ice and art on ice too

^lol, yeap that was as real a statement as kvdp having better ss than chan.

didn't you know plush is the perfect bathroom break in competition? Until he does his quad and finishes shaking the mullet you have time to buy a donut as well
    That is a really good one! I felt the studium's floor acutally shaking during his Tango Amore performance in 2010 Artistry on Ice, that must be a lot of people rushing to bathrooms.

So here is one of the biggest mysteries in figure skating, why so many show organizers are so blind and waste their money on an artless (and quadless during shows) skater? Maybe we should educate them here on FSU?

Some people must be living in a bubble.
    Last edited by GoGreen; 07-13-2012 at 11:23 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Stephane should go.

A lovely skater, but the axel technique is a killer for me, at this point.
    My thoughts exactly. I love me some Stephane, but oy, that waxel.

And as much as I'd rather poke my own eyes out with a pencil than watch Plushy skate, I just can't ever associate him with the word "weak". His artistry is aggressively bad. Like reach right up to the nosebleed seats and slap you across the face bad. I've seen him live many times, but euros in malmo was insane. There were a lot of Russians in the audience and you'd have thought the Beetles had just got off a plane, or Elvis Presley was gyrating his hips in tight leather pants the way they were swooning and screaming. He's like Justin Beiber or Katy Perry. As tacky and awful as they are, it's silly to try and pass them off as uncharasmatic or unpopular.

vCash
    Only I can understand is that there are at least 92 blinds or racists . Who, in the whole world (except FSU), think Plushenko is weaker than Takahashi or Lambiel? I say again, they are SILLY

vCash
    Take it as a poll done for fun during the off season. Everybody can give their opinions without stress.

vCash
    I think everyone has been judging Plushenko's artistry way too much from his recent seasons. His programs, starting from 2005, have just been watered down and incoherent. Look back at his programs from 2001-2004 more, and you might have a different option. I suggest people watch his 2001 Worlds programs again, for example.
    Last edited by shady82; 07-14-2012 at 01:19 AM.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Glacier cat View Post
    Only I can understand is that there are at least 92 blinds or racists .
    Racist? Against a generic white man? Uh, yeah. Because, the other Russian skater in this poll is currently running away with it, and the other candidates are Swiss and Japanese. Seems pretty culturally diverse to me, but of course, I'm one of those North American morons. Go pop a Prozac (or 12) and get a grip, as well as getting the idea that this is an unscientific, off-season poll on a message board site. It's not like ANY of the skaters involved in any of these polls will ever know the results, it's not like the results mean ANYTHING in terms of their careers, future employability, whatever and etc.

Oh yeah, and the number is up to 94 now. You can have a shot or two with the Prozac at this point.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

YEAH!
    vCash
    I like all these guys, so I'm glad that they're the final 4. Haven't voted yet, but leaning towards Lambiel.

Plush is so deserving of top 2, and is not necessarily out of it yet, so I wish my fellow Plush fans would post reasoned arguments like DaiKozOda did earlier in the thread. You all could actually still convince people to keep him in instead of posting wacked out theories and annoying even more people into voting him out, you know. Actually, he has done well to get to this point, especially when you consider how people here were literally rooting for Anyone But Plush in Vancouver. You can't say it's national bias since this board is mostly North American and he outlasted all NA skaters. I think it's more about people not liking his personality/his programs, which is as valid a reason to vote him out as any other.

What fascinates me is how close it is between Takahashi and Lambiel. Lambiel was pulling ahead but they're tied again now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shady82 View Post
    I think everyone has been judging Plushenko's artistry way too much from his recent seasons. His programs, starting from 2005, have just been watered down and incoherent. Look back at his programs from 2001-2004 more, and you might have a different option. I suggest people watch his 2001 Worlds programs again, for example.

IMO, his programs have always been incoherent. The words Plushenko and artistry should not be in the same sentence, unless by artistry you mean one big hot mess.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DaiKozOda View Post
    Let me try to convince some of you to save Plushenko in this round lol

In what concerns big medals:
    3 Olympic medals - One gold, two silvers;
    5 medals at worlds - 3 golds, 1 silver and 1 bronze;
    10 medals at Euros - 7 golds, 3 silvers;
    7 medals at GPF - 4 golds, 2 silvers, 1 bronze;

First ever skater to:
    land a quadruple toe-loop, triple toe-loop, double loop combination;
    land a quadruple toe-loop, triple toe-loop, triple loop combination;

He is one of the few guys to have ever done a biellmann spin.
    He was just 15 or 16 (can't remember exactly) when he received his first 6.0, making him the youngest guy ever to have been awarded with a perfect score.

If Plushenko hadn't started to challenge Yagudin so early the latter probably hadn't left Mishin to go to Tarasova. Now, that would have been a tragedy. If Plushenko hadn't started to raise the technical content in jumps, Yagudin probably hadn't tried so much as well.
    They pushed each other.

Plushenko has a style of his own. He gave us stuff like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEJXkfMYTX4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aGZX...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wszjp...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GTyu...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k-yMlGvlW0
    He was also the first to do this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I'm not much of a Plushenko fan, but him leaving NOW would be even sadder than Elvis Stojko getting voted out when he did.
    Some vote based on accomplishments, some vote based on actual skating or specific preference. If all there is to do is count medals then we really don't need a poll do we?

vCash
    I never knew how much some people were obsessed with artistry.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast