Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash

unusual resume qualifications

Some sage advice for job-hunters.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/mos...393/story.html

I particularly like #5.

vCash
    ^Awesome

I am hiring at the moment and having just read through dozens and dozens of job applications, I can add a personal no no to the list: do not spend the first paragraph of your cover letter telling me about my own organization in a thinly paraphrased reworking of the company website mission statement. Get's a big "oh honey, don't" from me.

I do, however, enjoy a brief one line of "Interests" at the end of the resume.

And under Skills and Assets: be specific, as a general "I am organized and self led" doesn't say much.

Obviously, these are my personal quibbles.

vCash
    I have three resumes that were submitted to me for jobs, which shall live in infamy. The first was for an engineering position, and the guy put little emoticons/icons next to each line on the resume, in an attempt to build upon what he'd written. So, for example, next to his phone number was a pic of a phone, next to his first job was a pic of, erm... a dragon. Strange guy. Did not interview, obviously.

The second was a resume submitted for an admin job. On pink paper, with hearts on it, and scented. Did not interview, obviously.

Third's cover letter - the second paragraph began, "Although I am presently incarcerated..." He was trying to get us to send him work into the prison, he'd work from there. Unfortunately, that was not possible.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    My favorite is number 7.

7. Candidate claimed to be able to speak "Antartican" when applying for a job to work in Antarctica. Little do they know that's not a language; most penguins speak French.

DH and I are taking a cruise to Antarctica this coming Christmas. We better brush up our Antarctican.