Recovering from the Olys
    vCash

IFS Article on Clara Peters and Irish Skating Past & Present

http://www.ifsmagazine.com/articles/...dge-of-a-dream
    In the fall of 2008 Peters made her international debut at two Junior Grand Prix events in Spain and the Czech Republic.

When she stepped onto the ice at the 2009 Europeans, she made history by becoming the first Irish skater to participate in an International Skating Union championship. It was the fulfilment of her childhood dreams.

“It was an incredible feeling. I don’t think it has even sunk in yet. It was something that I’d always dreamed of when I was a little girl. At school when we were asked to write where we saw ourselves in 10 years. My classmates wrote that they wanted to be a ballerina, doctor, garda (Irish police officer) or an astronaut. I wrote: ‘I want to represent Ireland at Europeans and Worlds.’

“To look back and be able to say ‘I’ve done that’ is indescribable. To be on the ice representing my country is an amazing thing and it is something few people get to experience.”

While she has already achieved so much as a skater, the ultimate goal remains — to be the first figure skater from Ireland to compete at the Winter Olympic Games — and Peters knows next season will be very important in her pursuit of that objective.

“I don’t remember not wanting to skate. I don’t remember not wanting to be at the Olympics representing Ireland. The two have gone hand in hand and I’m getting the chance to do that. The qualifiers this season are the World Championships in Canada and one next season and I’m putting everything into it to accomplish my dreams,” she said.
    Adapting to a new country and lifestyle have presented their own challenges. “I have been in the States six and a half years and I still would say I haven’t quite adapted. I go to the rink Monday to Friday. I’m training so I don’t really experience the true lifestyle.

"The food is very different. In the early years I convinced my gran to send me teabags and chocolate.”
    Last edited by Sylvia; 07-12-2012 at 04:33 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Clara on her move to the US and working with new coaches.

“I learned how to skate from scratch basically. I had been doing double jumps with poor technique and mediocre spins. It was just a matter of breaking everything down, setting very good foundations and working from there. You could say that I’ve only really been skating for seven years,” she said.
    I always liked how matter-of-fact she's been about her skating and what she needs to do to improve. Hopefully she can start trying triples in competition this next season. Was it 3sal or toe that she was working on?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    This was posted in an earlier Clara Peters thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    She's really close to getting the salchow and has good technique. With that and a toeloop, I think it would help her out enormously in terms of scores particularly in the short programme.

The one thing I think that she has an advantage over a lot of the other ladies is that mentally she is very strong and she delivers the best of what she is capable of. Can't ask for more than that.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Thanks, Sylvia. Even better if it's both! Fingers crossed she gets away from the automatic -3s she used to get in the SP for the combination and solo jump out of ftwk.

vCash
    I find her totally captivating. Great article!

vCash
    Clara is a fantastic skater, who brings a lot of artistry that has been lost with IJS! Best of Luck to her this season!

vCash
    What a great story!

vCash
    Clara is absolutely loved here

She really needs to be able to land (or at least rotate ...) the 3 salchow (and hopefully, another 3 jump).

If this happens, then I don't think Sochi is only a distant dream ... she may not qualify next year via the World championships route, but at the olympic qualifiers in Sep 2013, then who knows ...

K.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelvster View Post
    she may not qualify next year via the World championships route, but at the olympic qualifiers in Sep 2013, then who knows ...
    Given the new qualifying scores for Worlds, I'd say the Olympic qualifier in September 2013 will be where she has to do it.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    I love Peppermint Clara!

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Given the new qualifying scores for Worlds, I'd say the Olympic qualifier in September 2013 will be where she has to do it.
    Bumping up this thread from last year to post this new article on Clara Peters and her current goal to qualify an Olympic berth for Ireland at Nebelhorn this fall: http://sportsnewsireland.com/other_s...14-2013-05-06/

The Ice Skating Association of Ireland's site is very active these days (their Facebook page, too) and has news on the recent Irish Nationals as well as international competitions and experiences for Peters and several other Irish skaters: http://isai.ie/
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-06-2013 at 05:41 PM.