Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I thought Jammers was saying both.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Well...on a personal/selfish level I must admit to not exactly being thrilled over this news, but more power to her if she feels she's got more left in her. She will need to up the tech however if she wants to continue to be competitive with the new wave of Russians.

vCash
    Does anyone know why Carolina's name is crossed out in Grand Prix's lists?
    http://t.co/uA1rDj3G

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Well...on a personal/selfish level I must admit to not exactly being thrilled over this news, but more power to her if she feels she's got more left in her. She will need to up the tech however if she wants to continue to be competitive with the new wave of Russians.
    If she can do it then she deserves to be there! The Russians are not infallible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lily View Post
    Does anyone know why Carolina's name is crossed out in Grand Prix's lists?
    http://t.co/uA1rDj3G
    Odd! If she won't participate on the GP's can she still compete at Europeans and Worlds?

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lily View Post
    I wish Icenetwork would make some research before posting these kind of articles that basically just say things that everybody can see with they own eyes: Kostner's name crossed from the entry list.
    They could call to Kostner's coach or her federation and try to get some more info.

vCash
    She just became a world champion, a very long-wanted goal of her life and also just announced that she'll continue till Sochi. Carolina might have thought that she needs some time off to be better prepared in the long run.

Rooting for the Underdogs
    vCash
    I'm wondering if maybe since she's planning on continuing until Sochi if she's taking the time now to get her knee fixed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aka_gerbil View Post
    I'm wondering if maybe since she's planning on continuing until Sochi if she's taking the time now to get her knee fixed.
    Was that knee injury what prevented her to attempt lutz?

Rooting for the Underdogs
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    Was that knee injury what prevented her to attempt lutz?
    From my understanding, yes, it was the knee injury that kept her from doing the lutz.

vCash
    I think she's just late on her preparation...she decided about her future not even a month ago and I doubt she had trained much before her decision...

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I thought the new article based on Kostner's press conference should be cross-posted in this thread as well:
    Quote Originally Posted by reut View Post
    There is a bit more here:
    http://www.adnkronos.com/mobile/Spor...3614996140.php

She plans to have a "light" season and definitely hopes to be in Sochi, though of cause things might change during two coming years.
    ETA that Kostner's GP slots have since been filled by Kiira Korpi (Cup of China) and Christina Gao (TEB).
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I'm going to translate just the part about Carolina.

[Alex Schwazer etc etc]

"About the Olympic Games, many things could change from here to 2014, but I want to be there." Said Kostner during the promotion of the gala "Opera On Ice" that will take place at the Arena di Verona on September 22nd.
    "I will begin the season later and I won't be doing GPs" the champion added "I decided that with my coach, in order to avoid injuries and have a lighter season"

[bla bla bla Opera On Ice bla bla bla complete cast bla bla huge show]
    A grumpy Canadian will always be nicer than a polite Milanese

vCash
    I have no problem with Carolina wanting to compete in 2014 Oly. It's the skater's choice. However, if she wins the OGM without a 3lutz, I will SCREAAAM!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I have no problem with Carolina wanting to compete in 2014 Oly. It's the skater's choice. However, if she wins the OGM without a 3lutz, I will SCREAAAM!!!!
    The lutz is my favorite triple, so I'd be a little sorry to see an OGM-winning routine which lacked that or a triple axel. That said, if Kostner could manage a 3-3 in both phases and land more than three triples of greater difficulty than the salchow, I wouldn't mind so much. That was the one thing that irked me about her well-deserved win at this year's Worlds: a 3r and a 3f at the start of the free skate, but toe loops and salchows otherwise. That really did recall the ladies' skating scene 20+ years ago.
    Last edited by falling_dance; 08-21-2012 at 11:44 AM. Reason: silly redundancy removed
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    The ladies 20 years ago didn't have to do more than perfunctory spins and footwork, though, nor did it seem like the top skaters (at least) had to worry about edge calls or under-rotations, even in some egregious cases.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    The ladies 20 years ago didn't have to do more than perfunctory spins and footwork, though, nor did it seem like the top skaters (at least) had to worry about edge calls or under-rotations, even in some egregious cases.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    True. I just conceded one respect in which her win did recall those days. Even with the advent of stricter edge and rotation calls, every one of Kostner's COP predecessors managed to win the World title with more than two triples of greater difficulty than the salchow over both phases. So did most of the skaters to win silver and bronze medals in the same system.
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    There were three other World Champions from 2007-2011: Mao Asada (2), Miki Ando (2), and YuNa Kim (1). Of the remaining 10 medals won at Worlds between 2007-2010, all but three were won by the same three skaters; the other three were won by Laura Lepisto, Joannie Rochette, and Kostner. Lepisto was blasted for having lesser technical content than Kostner.

Four of those skaters are no longer competing. (Kostner is also the only active and competitive skater -- I don't count Suguri as competitive, even if she continues to skate -- who medaled in the previous Olympic cycle, since CoP was introduced.) Mao Asada is re-tooling her jumping technique, although she reverted to her 3A strategy towards the end of the season, and seemed to regress from the gains she made earlier.

At Worlds this year, Kostner beat Leonova, who got serious PCS gifts, especially in the FS -- her PCS were within .14 of Suzuki, really? -- and Suzuki. I love Suzuki and think every one of her components should have been at least Kostner's equal, but even though she had harder jump content in the FS, she had two flawed jump combinations, and Kostner had one - GOE score of 108 individual marks. I don't think Suzuki's components in the SP should have been lower than Kostner's, and I certainly don't think they should have been lower than Leonova's. In my universe, Suzuki would have beaten Kostner for the title, but it would have been very, very close.

What we have is a field that can't definitively challenge Kostner like Asada of old, Ando, and Kim did. If the field that skates can't bring it, the gold medal goes to the person who brings the most. Hopefully Suzuki and Wagner will get respect from the judges this year, if they skate well.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast