Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    YAY

Yuna, Carolina, Ando, Suzuki, Asada, Ashley, AND Gracie, Liza, Adelina, Julia(plus, Mirai & Zhang & Alena looking good)
    Ladies field in Sochi will be the dream competition for skating fans!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    YAY

Yuna, Carolina, Ando, Suzuki, Asada, Ashley, AND Gracie, Liza, Adelina, Julia(plus, Mirai & Zhang & Alena looking good)
    let´s hope for that.

vCash
    YAY

I predict it will be an ultimate thriller The build up might even exceed last Olympics with this amount of talent competing, the thrill, the spills, the shrills (from certain fans).

How many formal WC / Jr Champs, plus GPF Champs? It sure is a deep field. For the record, I also wouldn't count Alissa out (top10)! I know i know... but Akiko has last this long so why not Alissa.

Quadless
    vCash
    This is terrific news. I feel like Carolina reached a different plane of performance complexity and maturity this past season, but one that she has not yet exhausted. I hope she can maintain the freedom and abandon in her skating, and more so, I hope that she will enjoy the next two years and continue to blossom artistically.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    I hope she can maintain the freedom and abandon in her skating, and more so, I hope that she will enjoy the next two years and continue to blossom artistically.
    I actually liked her even more because she lost some of her earlier abandon and skated with more control -especially when it comes to her jump approach. Either way, I'm throwing in my about her coming back for the next couple of years. Loved her modern dance look this last year and I'm looking forward to seing what she can do next!

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    YEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BABY!!!!!!

Vacant
    vCash
    Very happy to hear this. I hope she continues to set the bar high with innovative and beautiful programmes like the last two seasons.

vCash
    Yay! I hope Caro has a better Olympic experience next time around.

Wandering Goy
    vCash
    Very happy for her.
    "Skating fans are not a patient bunch." Dragonlady

vCash
    Great news! Good luck to Caro for the coming seasons.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggs View Post
    She never announced that she is unsure in an official statement. The press collected those quotes from various interviews she gave post worlds where she stated that she hasn't decided about her future yet, and that the chances are 50/50 for her to retire.

Now, the statement from today seems to be an official reaction to the articles spreading around the web last week.
    You always have to take into account what is coming from a reporter vs what the actual athlete says. Our local NPR station carries BBC Live mornings (and now that I'm working freelance instead of for a company I have the luxury of listening); this morning, the reporter was interviewing a couple of pundits about the London Olympic security issues, and he kept trying to push them into saying that the Army should have been picked for security long before this (not possible in the planning stages, they were heavily in Afghanistan at that time). The pundits didn't bite. Again, you have to remember media spin on certain things.

Back to topic, happy to hear Carolina is going to stay in. I was never a fan until last season, and like many, she grew on me. Good luck, Caro!
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Kostner used to annoy me massively, even if I always appreciated her skating skills, but she really has come together into an extraordinary all round performer last season. Her programs were quite spectacular.

vCash
    I love that I'll be able to watch Carolina compete ( two more years of artistry like that... Thank you Caro!!!). But as a big fan, I really hope it'll be worth it for her and she gets some big wins in the next two years. It takes great courage to keep working for one's goals when you reach the top after so many years of struggle. Wishing her all the luck.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    What wonderful news! I'm soooo happy!

I was actually scared when I heard about the press conference and had feared that Caro would announce her retirement. I'm very glad that she decided to go on. I hope she will be able to fullfill her potential, enjoy all of her competetitions and that she will win a medal in Sochi.

vCash
    YAY

I expect Murakami will have sorted out her stamina issues and make the Sochi team which means one of Asada, Ando, or Suzuki will not. Probably Ando since she seems like she isnt even wanting to compete anymore but is pushed into it by the ISU from her recent comments. Maybe a second young skater will make it pushing out one of Asada or Suzuki as well. Japan is relying too long on veterans now, even granny Suguri was competing into her 30s, they need to start pushing the younger talent more now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by floskate View Post
    Very happy to hear this. I hope she continues to set the bar high with innovative and beautiful programmes like the last two seasons.
    Amen, to this!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Maybe a second young skater will make it pushing out one of Asada or Suzuki as well. Japan is relying too long on veterans now, even granny Suguri was competing into her 30s, they need to start pushing the younger talent more now.
    Unless the younger skaters finish ahead of them at Nationals, I see no reason to send them to an ISU Championship just because they need to be 'pushed.' It's not like Haruka Imai, Satoko Miyahara or similar skaters didn't get GP or JGP assignments since Fumie was sent at their expense this season (2010-2011 was a different story). As long as skaters like Mao, Akiko and now Miki continue to perform better, I see no reason not to rely on them.

Sometimes skater do get better as they get older. Look no further than Carolina for an excellent example of that.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    YAY! I became a fan this past season, finally. So glad to hear that we could be treated to more creative and artistic programs from Carolina.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    Unless the younger skaters finish ahead of them at Nationals, I see no reason to send them to an ISU Championship just because they need to be 'pushed.' It's not like Haruka Imai, Satoko Miyahara or similar skaters didn't get GP or JGP assignments since Fumie was sent at their expense this season (2010-2011 was a different story). As long as skaters like Mao, Akiko and now Miki continue to perform better, I see no reason not to rely on them.
    I fully expect Murakami to be at worst the 2nd or 3rd best Japanese by 2014. If they are fortunate a 2nd young skater will also be amongst their 3 best skaters by then. In the event Ando, Asada, and Suzuki are still their top 3 by 2014 they are in big trouble not only for 2014 but for the future, since their up and comers are pretty much useless if that is the case. The only one of those who is arguably still getting better is Suzuki, and she isnt a World Champion caliber skater, although I was super happy to see her medal at Worlds. Ando and Asada peaked many years ago, Ando was pretty good in 2011 (not really that good, the field was awful, even worse than last year) but admits to motivation problems so I doubt she will be very good in her comeback, and Asada has been going downhill for awhile now.

You also need to remember all Nationals are political. I agree in the event the veterans are still the best they deserve to go, but what I mean is they should in no way make a concerted effort to hold them up and protect their standing if they arent, which is sometimes what federations do, milking the oldies even when they are past their best before date.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I agree in the event the veterans are still the best they deserve to go, but what I mean is they should in no way make a concerted effort to hold them up and protect their standing if they arent, which is sometimes what federations do, milking the oldies even when they are past their best before date.
    Agreed; hate to see that with events that determine Olympic qualification even more so. Am still mad about Miki Ando being sent to Turin insead of Yukari Nakano based on questionable criteria that took into account results from past years. And that wasn't even an age issue, but just about who was in better shape at the time.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast