Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    vCash
    I can see why ISU is pushing perhaps "past prime" Asada, Ando and Kostner to compete. They are the last 3 WCs and it's hard to build hype for an event when no one knows who any of the participants are.

The Jap. Fed. has proven numerous times that they hand pick their Oly teams for whatever (political, monetary, etc.) reasons no matter how they are currently skating. Akiko did herself a huge favor by winning a medal this past year. Unless any others, "younger skaters" win a medal or even gold next year, the Oly team has already been pretty much set as Granny Ando, Granny Asada, and Granny Akiko.

vCash
    HURRAY!

vCash
    Speaking of old veterans, does anyone know if Fumie Suguri has officially retired yet? I know she wasn't at Worlds, can't remember if I saw her on the Japanese Nats results list or not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    YAY

Yuna, Carolina, Ando, Suzuki, Asada, Ashley, AND Gracie, Liza, Adelina, Julia(plus, Mirai & Zhang & Alena looking good)
    Ladies field in Sochi will be the dream competition for skating fans!
    Too bad ALL those Russian and American skaters won't be able to skate, not enough qualifying spots..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Speaking of old veterans, does anyone know if Fumie Suguri has officially retired yet? I know she wasn't at Worlds, can't remember if I saw her on the Japanese Nats results list or not.
    She didn't qualify for Nationals last year (failed at sectionals) but she's still competing in some local competions.. Pretty sad story

vCash
    I'm glad she wants to continue competing, but in any case, please let Valentina Marchei got to the Olympics with her!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    The Jap. Fed. has proven numerous times that they hand pick their Oly teams for whatever (political, monetary, etc.) reasons no matter how they are currently skating. Akiko did herself a huge favor by winning a medal this past year. Unless any others, "younger skaters" win a medal or even gold next year, the Oly team has already been pretty much set as Granny Ando, Granny Asada, and Granny Akiko.
    oh please, i know andos nomination for the 2006 olympics was kind of 'the japanese fed does what it wants', but in 2010 there were strict rules and suzuki kicked out the great yukari nakano of the team, who medalled in 2008. so a medal alone doesn´t secure anything.

i agree, that the japanese fed will do anything to have mao and miki on the team, i wouldn´t be so sure for akikoks place.

but to be honest, all those 'grannies' are by far the best japan has to offer at the moment. despite murakami there is no one even close to them regarding the whole package. the younger girls may have the jumps but are lacking tremendously at pcs , imai with some troubles on the jumps, more presence than the younger ones but miles away of the 'grannies'.

so please give the younger skaters time to flourish and let the 'grannies' of japan fight against the italian 'granny' and whoever 20+ will shockingly try to enter the competetion in 2014

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post
    oh please, i know andos nomination for the 2006 olympics was kind of 'the japanese fed does what it wants', but in 2010 there were strict rules and suzuki kicked out the great yukari nakano of the team, who medalled in 2008. so a medal alone doesn´t secure anything.
    A lot of people felt she should have medalled, but Yukari Nakano actually finished 4th at 2008 Worlds, and her results leading up to Vancouver were not as good as Akiko's have been in recent years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    A lot of people felt she should have medalled, but Yukari Nakano actually finished 4th at 2008 Worlds, and her results leading up to Vancouver were not as good as Akiko's have been in recent years.
    oh, i´m out of control, right, she was off the podium. but she had great results before and her name alone haven´t taken her to the olympcis, that´s what i wanted to say

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post

i agree, that the japanese fed will do anything to have mao and miki on the team, i wouldn´t be so sure for akikoks place.

but to be honest, all those 'grannies' are by far the best japan has to offer at the moment. despite murakami there is no one even close to them regarding the whole package. the younger girls may have the jumps but are lacking tremendously at pcs , imai with some troubles on the jumps, more presence than the younger ones but miles away of the 'grannies'.

so please give the younger skaters time to flourish and let the 'grannies' of japan fight against the italian 'granny' and whoever 20+ will shockingly try to enter the competetion in 2014
    Suzuki beat Nakano at 2009 Nationals only by 0.17, but many thought the different between the two could have been as much as 10 points if scored by ISU judges. It looks like JSF tried really hard to send Nakano to Vancouver. Later Hiroshi Nagakubo, Suzuki's coach told in an interview that he thought Suzuki would not make it to the Olympic team when he saw who were in the judge panel at the Nationals.

JSF still prefers Murakami, who couldn't skate a decent FS throughout the last season, to Suzuki, who won Bronz. Murakami has major corporate sponsors that bring money to the federation. They are happy to drop Suzuki any time if she shows a lightest sign of weakness. They may be willing to use her to secure three spots at Sochi, but have no intention to send her to Sochi itself.

Planning? No, no. Let's keep it suicidal.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeko View Post
    Suzuki beat Nakano at 2009 Nationals only by 0.17, but many thought the different between the two could have been as much as 10 points if scored by ISU judges. It looks like JSF tried really hard to send Nakano to Vancouver. Later Hiroshi Nagakubo, Suzuki's coach told in an interview that he thought Suzuki would not make it to the Olympic team when he saw who were in the judge panel at the Nationals.
    Yes, I think the JSF was on a mission to get Yukari to Vancouver in 2010. I'm not sure how much of that was based on additional sponsorship revenue and how much of it was a belated effort to make things up to her after 2006. Either way, much as I enjoyed Yukari's skating, I'm glad Akiko finished ahead of her at Nationals and got to compete at the Olympics. Had Nakano gone instead, it would have been a case of 'two wrongs don't make a right', since Suzuki was skating much better that year.

Italy might have an interesting situation on their hands in case Marchei and Kostner get 3 spots for Sochi since they have lots of similiar-level skaters who would be vying for the third spot.

vCash
    It's a bit embarrassing that Italy has 3 spots for the ladies next year despite having only one top skater who has carried them for almost a decade while the US which has so much more depth still can't get that third spot.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    It's a bit embarrassing that Italy has 3 spots for the ladies next year despite having only one top skater who has carried them for almost a decade while the US which has so much more depth still can't get that third spot.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Marchei was 8th in Nice, and Italy would not have had three spots unless she carried her own weight. Had Marchei skated alone, Italy would have earned two, and if a second Italian didn't make it out of the quali round, Italy would have earned two, all on the basis of Marchei's placement.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Kostner and Marchei BOTH did an amazing job bringing home 3 spots so there's nothing wrong with it.
    CaroFan™

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eleonorad View Post
    Kostner and Marchei BOTH did an amazing job bringing home 3 spots so there's nothing wrong with it.
    Absolutely.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Marchei has placed top 10 in each of the last five EC she's entered and 8th at WC last year (11th and 13th in the two previous WC she's entered).

vCash
    That's not particularly fair considering Marchei placed 8th. If Alissa had placed 8th, the US would have 3 spots. The US has had multiple opportunities to earn those spots, perhaps if they really have so much depth they are picking their teams wrong.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Excellent news, as I feel Carolina finally found a niche that works for her choreography wise w/the modern dance look and I really want to see her develop it even more. I hope she has a better Olympic experience than her last two were and Good Luck to her over the next two years!!

vCash
    Maybe it's just me, but I presumed Jammers was saying it was embarassing for the US ladies.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast