Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    vCash
    Kwanatic, I always enjoy your blog and appreciate all the effort you put into it. But I think you took your criticism of Gracie too far in your next to last entry. You generally seem to root your opinions in objectivity, but your long discussion of Gracie was just overflowing with negativity. I don't think she earned that.

But great job overall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Kwanatic, I always enjoy your blog and appreciate all the effort you put into it. But I think you took your criticism of Gracie too far in your next to last entry. You generally seem to root your opinions in objectivity, but your long discussion of Gracie was just overflowing with negativity. I don't think she earned that.

But great job overall.
    Thanks for reading Spun!

My criticism of Gracie stems from my frustration with her team...I honestly don't think she's the one to blame. It's the people around her who are steering her in the wrong direction. I don't understand why they are determined to turn her into something she clearly is not. The music, the programs...none of it fits into who Gracie is as a skater, yet they insist on trying to shove her into a mold she does not belong in.

I think Gracie is a fabulous skater: speed, huge jumps, good technique, fast spins. Gracie is an amazing skater but she is not an artist. Instead of trying to force her to be, I think her people should be focusing on highlighting the extraordinary aspects of her skating (ie. speed, power). Her packaging is completely wrong and that's why I posted my rant. I just don't get why they are screwing her over when the route they should be taking to get her ready for Sochi is so obvious: play to your strengths. Plain and simple. I don't get why her coach/choreographer are so clueless...

As for her mental issues, it comes with the territory. Some people are able to focus and deliver, others are not. You either learn how to settle your mind and compete, or you don't. Frank can possibly help Gracie with this but, as I said, he is not a miracle worker. If he were Mirai would probably have won a few extra national championships and a world medal or two under him. He can only do so much...the rest has to come from Gracie.

Sorry if you felt I was being overly negative. I just gave my honest opinion. Gracie is being mismanaged and I'm really baffled as to why no one around her can see it.

vCash
    Just imagine Gracie reading it.

PS: You are free to say whatever you want, of course, but I hate "I'm sorry you feel that way" apologies! Just don't bother!

vCash
    Just imagine Gracie reading it.

PS: You are free to say whatever you want, of course, but I hate "I'm sorry you feel that way" apologies! Just don't bother!
    Hopefully if she read it she'd give it to her coaches and say, "Here, let's try this!"

FWIW, my "sorry you feel that way" apology wasn't meant as insincere. I intended for my post to be taken as un-sugarcoated constructive criticism...you felt it was overly negative. Each person perceives things differently so that's fine.

Spitting Nickels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Hopefully if she read it she'd give it to her coaches and say, "Here, let's try this!"

FWIW, my "sorry you feel that way" apology wasn't meant as insincere. I intended for my post to be taken as un-sugarcoated constructive criticism...you felt it was overly negative. Each person perceives things differently so that's fine.
    Count me in as someone who regularly reads your blog and also perceived your comments about Gold as off-puttingly negative. I appreciate at least a tiny coating of sugar. Nothing personal of course, just my opinion.

vCash
    JGP Minsk and Nebelhorn Trophy ladies reviews, plus Gracie and Yu-Na News!

http://thenakedice.blogspot.com/2013...rn-trophy.html

vCash
    Ladies reviews for JGP Czech Skate, Japan Open, Finlandia Trophy and Ondrej Nepela Trophy!

http://thenakedice.blogspot.com/2013...apan-open.html

vCash
    JGP Tallinn Cup review plus Final JGP standings!

http://thenakedice.blogspot.com/2013...es-review.html

vCash
    Ladies review for the season opener, Skate America!

http://thenakedice.blogspot.com/2013...es-review.html

vCash

vCash

vCash
    Around the World in Skating...just a quick bit about Yu-Na competing at Zagreb and Miki qualifying for nationals

http://thenakedice.blogspot.com/2013...er-5-2013.html

vCash

vCash

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I think your writing could be improved on; it is not very insightful.

vCash
    That is a stunningly unilluminating comment. Are you unable to say why or do you just like being mean?

Troll.
    Last edited by Spun Silver; 11-19-2013 at 05:38 PM.

Banned Member
    vCash
    That is a stunningly unilluminating comment. Are you unable to say why or do you just like being mean?

Troll.
    Lack of genuine criticism. Needs more sincerity-- and not just saving the reserves of sincerity for gushing.

Not to turn this into me grading an English comp paper or anything, but if you're going to advertise your writings on a public forum, it should be better than this. If you're going to tell us what you feel, you should tell us why you feel they way you do, and not just relaying to us the synopsis of the competition. #CriticalTheory101

vCash
    No doubt, for the big bucks kwanatic is raking in with this skating blog, she owes us way more than this lousy detailed running commentary on the entire season of ladies' skating which hapless fans like you and me are forced to waste our time on.

I liked the TEB commentary. I havent had time to watch the comp yet so it served as a preview for me. I especially enjoyed the rendition of the battle between Anna and Adelina. Sometimes I feel as though I am in an alternate universe for being an enthusiastic and patient admirer of Adelina (and her last season's FP) so I particularly appreciate kwanatic's appreciation of her.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Okay, I admit I came off as a douche. Maybe I'm just projecting my discontent with the content of internet writing/ journalism/ blogging in general.

vCash
    Thank you. That does seem like rather a lot to put on young (I imagine) kwanatic.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast