Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 236
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    43
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    10

    Phil Hersh on Jeremy Abbott

    I think Phil got it right.

    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...1073535.column

    After I saw Jeremy at Nationals in 2010 I was convinced he would blow everyone away at the Olympics. He was thrilling! I've seen several other of his programs that have left me awestruck and an uber. I find it very sad that this immensely talented man has never been able to deliver on the international stage.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,520
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3645
    I do not even understand why singling out Abbott is contextually appropriate. It is appealing to USA's backstabbing skating insiders and a good sounding sports story, but valid and accurate it is not.
    Last edited by TheIronLady; 03-25-2014 at 06:50 AM.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    64
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    what does the article say? i don't have an account.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    604
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    He did deliver at the 2010 worlds, compared to his competitors atleast but he was screwed over. He deserved silver there.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    2,485
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    1872

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    2,485
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    1872
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Paul Wylie performed dreadfully time and again. Czisny performed horrendously at international events her whole career. Another skater, though not American, whose career has been one magnificent underperformance is Thomas Verner. I do not even understand why singling out Abbott is contextually appropriate. It is appealing to USA's backstabbing skating insiders and a good sounding sports story, but valid and accurate it is not.
    Did you read the article? I'm quoting it here:

    "A lot of other U.S. champions have stood where Abbott did at the Olympics and worlds and skated brilliantly. Of course that is hard. But few of those champions underperformed on the biggest stages as badly as Abbott did."

    The key word is 'few'. I'm glad Phil did not drag other skaters in this article. But you did...

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,520
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3645
    Quote Originally Posted by luenatic View Post
    Did you read the article? I'm quoting it here:

    "A lot of other U.S. champions have stood where Abbott did at the Olympics and worlds and skated brilliantly. Of course that is hard. But few of those champions underperformed on the biggest stages as badly as Abbott did."

    The key word is 'few'. I'm glad Phil did not drag other skaters in this article. But you did...
    I think few is actually inaccurate. There have been too many to count, including Johnny Weir. It's rather silly to write an article like this. Is the point that Abbott is in denial or too psychologically deficient to be an American men's champion?

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,327
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I think Jeremy's mouthing off is really what gets people going too, especially recently. He messed up, as he often does, and decided to chew out the press about their reaction to it.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    688
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skatepixie View Post
    I think Jeremy's mouthing off is really what gets people going too, especially recently. He messed up, as he often does, and decided to chew out the press about their reaction to it.
    If you read the interview where that infamous quote took place, he was actually asked a question and responded.
    And it wasn't so much the press that he was addressing imo, it was the skating fandom.

    In certain skating communities, many were already writing him off based on his past headcase tendencies, and once he did fall all over the place there came (predictably) a flood of dismissive comments all over twitter, tumblr and other sites. I think he took it personally. He was already crushed at his own performance, and probably felt that the whole world was against him on top of that.
    Last edited by iarispiralllyof; 03-25-2014 at 05:42 AM.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,520
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3645
    Phil Hersh is not a credible observer or documenter though. He is a wordsmith, and his literary talents are so meager as to make one want to mouth off to him about the quality of his reporting. He represents a view of things that resonates with a few USFSA skating insiders, which is about all he knows of the sport.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    2,551
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    6051
    Phil is idiot.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    2,485
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    1872
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    I think few is actually inaccurate. There have been too many to count, including Johnny Weir. It's rather silly to write an article like this. Is the point that Abbott is in denial or too psychologically deficient to be an American men's champion?
    Johnny had a world medal and many times on the top 6 at world. Johnny is a much better competitor.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,520
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3645
    I get that some people don't like Jeremy, but find some competition in the US better than him. He is an older skater who is still around because the other USA men were not up to the job. I don't blame him for getting defensive in interviews when he is attacked. He obviously wants to do well with his great talents, but he is a weak competitor.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,763
    vCash
    289
    Rep Power
    15381
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post
    He was already crushed at his own performance, and probably felt that the whole world was against him on top of that.
    Crushed? Hardly. Don't you remember? It was a POSITIVE step, because it was just a WARMUP!

  15. #15

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,520
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3645
    Like Dick Button used to say about Emanuel Sandhu, I would rather watch a skater with remarkable understanding of line and movement finish twelfth than a skater with no such understanding finish ninth. Those were the choices in the USA as I saw it, so I am a little impatient with Jeremy's harshest detractors. I think Jeremy, if he has any hope of becoming a silk purse at this worlds, needs to devote minimal attention to being introspective or self-analysis. This is all I can see Hersh inviting here.

  16. #16
    drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    c'est genifique!
    Posts
    29,692
    vCash
    325
    Rep Power
    15783
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Crushed? Hardly. Don't you remember? It was a POSITIVE step, because it was just a WARMUP!
    give it an effing rest already
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,763
    vCash
    289
    Rep Power
    15381
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    give it an effing rest already
    Don't blame me for it, I wasn't the one who said it.

  18. #18
    Blergh
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    I Want to Go to There
    Posts
    9,330
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    17507
    Quote Originally Posted by iarispiralllyof View Post

    In certain skating communities, many were already writing him off based on his past headcase tendencies, and once he did fall all over the place there came (predictably) a flood of dismissive comments all over twitter, tumblr and other sites. I think he took it personally. He was already crushed at his own performance, and probably felt that the whole world was against him on top of that.
    I think "dismissive" is too light of a word for the comments being thrown around during Sochi. If it was just dismissive, then I'd think Jeremy was overreacting. However, they were downright hostile at times.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    psfoty's neighbourhood
    Posts
    8,399
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Hersh is an idiot

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,382
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    What's Hersh's point? That Abbott hasn't excelled at Worlds/Olympics? What a boring subject for an article. If he could offer insight into why that is, maybe it would be interesting. But Jeremy's response at the Olympics was exactly right: his mental issues are his challenge, just as other skaters struggle with other issues (or also with mental stuff).

    The wuzrobbing on Aaron's behalf by some posters is really getting old. It's not like he's had a brilliant international track record and he didn't skate well enough to earn an Olympic spot. That's on him, not on Abbott.

    Personally I thought Abbott was amazing in the men's event in Sochi - both his recovery from his SP fall and his free skate, which got him a personal best score. I'd say that getting a PB at the Olympics is pretty good.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •