• Denkova & Staviski

39 11.61%
  • Virtue & Moir

25 7.44%
  • Davis & White

132 39.29%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Well, the problem is I don't find D/W's skating emotionless and I think that they really come with some great things, such as fast twizzles, new spin positions,new complicated lifts and positions,...
    It's not their mistake or problem that other couples are imitating them and don't try to find their direction. IMO it's COP problem, because if they come with a new great lift that get's level4, next season many couples will use it, as there isn't so much possibilities to get level 4. I'm personally fan of 6.0 dances and dancers, and I dislike the fact that all dances are similar but I admire D/W, because nearly each time I watch D/W's new dances at the begining of the season, I find there something "wow" or new. they're not as original as dancers 20 years ago, but they are far from being the most boring for me.

vCash
    I find that a number of their dances look generic. The Bollywood OD was good and to some extent S&D. Others seemed to me more and more and more of the same. Some of their lifts are interesting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Emdee View Post
    I find that a number of their dances look generic. The Bollywood OD was good and to some extent S&D. Others seemed to me more and more and more of the same. Some of their lifts are interesting.
    I agree that the tango FD from 2011 and the Die Fleidermaus from 2012 are rather similar to me, but I still find them more stimulating than Navka and Kostomarov's renditions of old classics. I know Pink Panther isn't an old classic, but it is highly used in the last decade or so.

vCash
    SAVE NAVKA!!!!!

I know they weren't particularly innnovative but I find almost all of their dances very re-watchable. They had the STAR factor which is sorely lacking in dance these days. I also loved how sexy Navka always looked when her hair would get in her mouth during a dance.

Their 2001-2002 FD to George Benson/Michael Jackson is one of my all tiem favorite FDs. Don't judge.

vCash
    I want to join the SAVE NAVKA!!!!! Campaign!..

vCash
    Everyone, bow down to the power of the mighty headband!!!

Note that even the Mona Lisa has a slight headband!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DaiKozOda View Post
    Davis & White pushed ice dance into a new direction... the one that a lot of people are complaining about? That a lot of people consider to be boring due to being emotionless? The direction that is turning away the casual viewers cause the programs tend to look all the same? The direction that gets us wondering if they can really hold a position for more than 3 seconds looking clean and perfectly matched?
    Can I add some points? The direction in which dance becomes more and more like pairs skating, only with some different elements? The one in which lifts are clearly difficult but also ungainly if not downright ugly? (Meryl's lines don't help, in that regard), and have little to do with the program? And the lack of risk-taking in terms of music and concepts? Because other than the Bollywood OD, I haven't seen anything remotely interesting from those two.

The part about not holding a position is sadly a problem throughout skating so I'm not going to single out D/W for that.

Let Navka stay. For now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DaiKozOda View Post
    Let me play the devils advocate and be provocative.

Davis & White pushed ice dance into a new direction... the one that a lot of people are complaining about? That a lot of people consider to be boring due to being emotionless? The direction that is turning away the casual viewers cause the programs tend to look all the same?
    Would these be the same "casual viewers" that gave them rousing standing ovations at The World Championships in 2012, 2010 and 2009? It seems to me that the fans, the dancers that copy them, and judges and coaches (Alla, Tarasova, Haguenauer, Ponomarenko have all stated their love for them) all have a different opinion about the direction that D/W have pushed ice dance, they like it. They like the speed, they like the beauty of their intricate lifts that are integrated into the theme of the programs and they like the diversity of their programs and their technique. That's a fact! You are of course entitled to your opinion, but when you say, "a lot of people are complaining", are you referring to the handful of V/M fans that write on this forum? If so, you need to get away from your computer and into the real world, where a lot of people have a very different opinion. anyway...

I agree with sykr, I think D/W have a"WOW" factor that makes them fun to watch again and again. I'm voting for N/K because I don't like to watch K.
    Last edited by Lilly55; 07-13-2012 at 02:48 PM. Reason: sp

vCash
    Exactly... I am entitled to my own opinion just like you're entitled to yours. I don't understand why you seem to be making a response to turn things personal writting stuff like "you need to get away from your computer and into the real world, where a lot of people have a very different opinion. anyway..."
    First, you know nothing about me or my life. Second, this is a poll and a lot of people are giving their opinions and perceptions. So, I give you back the "where a lot of people have a very different opinion".
    Rude euros? Not sure of what you're talking about so I'll pass.
    V&M fans that write on this forum? Well, there are much more places on the web to write (including blogs) and chat about figure skating (including forums in other languages). Add commentators from different tv stations including spanish, portuguese, russian, italian, hungarian and so on. Have also in mind the other sports press. And besides the hot duel in this poll not even includes V&M.
    And by the way, Ponomarenko and others may say they like this "direction" in ice-dance so we all must bow down and agree with them? Just saying...
    "They like the speed, they like the beauty of their intricate lifts that are integrated into the theme of the programs and they like the diversity of their programs and their technique. That's a fact!" What is a fact? Someone else's opinion? If that's the case then we can talk about some others such as Zhulin, Krylova or Scali for example and we can say that those opinions are facts as well...

Take care

Edit: Here are some interesting opinions by Gregory and Poirier in what concerns speed: "Speed helps," Gregory said. "When you do it slow, sometimes it's a little more difficult. When you have speed, it flows; it's safer. Balance is more difficult on the ice when you don't have speed."

"Even if speed eventually makes a lift easier, it's still necessary to start practicing it slowly on the ice, Poirier pointed out.
    "
    You can find the full article on the dance lifts thread.
    Last edited by DaiKozOda; 07-14-2012 at 12:35 AM. Reason: grammar + add some more stuff

vCash
    ^ I agree that is a game and we shouldn't turn it into skater's personal tread.However,here are my two pennies.Lets make a simple comparison. N/K didn't have very long skate and while being successful together they didn't achieve much with their previous partners( besides Roman being Jr Champion). Their style was refreshing but as in Plushenko's case i prefer to watch them in Galas ad shows.D/W are turning the Ice Dance in direction that i don't like it very much either but they keep pushing ahead and constantly continue to be great in what they are doing.They had success as Juniors and from the beginning of their senior career were among the best.
    Last edited by vivika1982; 07-13-2012 at 05:46 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123