Quote Originally Posted by Zokko! View Post
    this is getting really tough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    This is getting tough.
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Oh, this is terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
    I really hate this

I can make the next round tougher, if you want.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    People seem more bothered by Stephane's lack of a triple axel than others lack of a quad, but a quad and no triple axel is more valuable points wise than no quad and a triple axel, which many of his main competitors (eg- Weir, Lysacek, Buttle, Oda much of his career) had. Stephane also has done numerous triple axels in his career, unlike those I mentioned who have maybe done 1 or 2 clean quads.
    It doesn't look like people are more bothered by Stephane's lack of a triple axel than others lack of a quad. Lysacek and Buttle, they've been voted out. Oda and Weir, not even on the list. The only one here who has a lower quad success rate is Takahashi, and he's getting more votes than Lambiel. The result is just the opposite of what you said.
    Last edited by unicorn; 07-09-2012 at 06:30 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vodkashot View Post
    Daisuke is the 2010 World Champion.
    So he is *facepalm*. Multiple World Champion, then.

But then, I suppose, you look at someone like Plushenko, someone so great and talented and incredible...and he's only won it three times. So I don't know that World Championships can tell the tale of a whole career.

vCash

But then, I suppose, you look at someone like Plushenko, someone so great and talented and incredible...and he's only won it three times. So I don't know that World Championships can tell the tale of a whole career.
    That's the problem with Dai and to a lesser extent Stephane - considering their talent and abilities, their record could have been better. Looking at medals and wins, some of the eliminated skaters certainly surpass them.

Plushenko didn't compete at Worlds the years he medalled at the Olympics; I'm sure he could have had a more impressive record had a done so. And of course he WD in 2005.

vCash

Yeah, Plush only has 3 world titles, the slacker... but then he only lost the title 3 times, as well (and all to Yags).

Seriously, with the exception of Kulik, who took his OGM and split, the other four guys were hampered by injuries. Yagudin had to retire due to his hip, Lambiel gave up on the 3A due to (groin? abdomen?) injury, Dai's quad used to be a lot more consistant before his ACL injury and Plush, well, we all know he's held together by duct tape and gum.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    That's the problem with Dai and to a lesser extent Stephane - considering their talent and abilities, their record could have been better. Looking at medals and wins, some of the eliminated skaters certainly surpass them.
    Like who? Stojko of course but who else. I dont consider any of Eldredge, Urmanov, Joubert, or Buttle to have had better careers than Lambiel or Takahashi. Lysacek and Chan might be considered by some to have better careers than Takahashi but I dont think either had a better career than Lambiel. Lambiel's extra World title + Olympic silver atleast equal Lysacek's Olympic Gold, and Lambiel has an extra grand prix final title. Chan doesnt even have an Olympic medal yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Like who? Stojko of course but who else. I dont consider any of Eldredge, Urmanov, Joubert, or Buttle to have had better careers than Lambiel or Takahashi. Lysacek and Chan might be considered by some to have better careers than Takahashi but I dont think either had a better career than Lambiel. Lambiel's extra World title + Olympic silver atleast equal Lysacek's Olympic Gold, and Lambiel has an extra grand prix final title. Chan doesnt even have an Olympic medal yet.
    I said medals and wins. Stephane Lambiel especially does not have that good of a competitive record, because he didn't do all that well in the first few years of his career and skipped a lot of events in the latter part of it. And two of his biggest achievements - the first World title and the Olympic silver- came in poorly skated events in which even he wasn't that good. Dai's record is better, but still does not match his talent, IMO. One problem is that neither is/was a very consistent jumper (and Dai is prone to URs), and their injury issues probably haven't helped.

Anyway - Stojko, of course. Joubert has a boatload of medals, including three European golds to Stephane's zero - think about it, Sarah Meier has more Euro titles than Stephane, and as many medals. In fact, Joubert has more (senior) ISU Championship medals than Stephane and Dai combined; you can even throw in their Olys medals and he will still have more medals than both of them together. Eldredge also won a lot of medals in his career, though fewer as he did not have a continental championship to compete in until late in his career. Chan's record is similar to that of Lambiel and Takahashi - maybe even a bit better - despite having been around for a shorter time.

You know, between this and my earlier defense of Takahashi, I believe I have talked myself into voting for Lambiel in the next round.

vCash
    Thank you. Bu the first one is Plushenko's 2001 SP again, and the second is 2005 FS .

A double elimination? Nothing tough there, though. It will leave us with Yagudin an Plushenko anyway - just a bit sooner than without the double elimination. Besides, Takahashi and Lambiel are so equal overall, that they deserve to go together.

Now I probably have convinced you not to make it a double elimination .

Voted for Kulik again. The least impressive medal record, a shorter competitive career + I don't see anything special in his style, although it was nice (at least when it comes to competitive programs - I haven't seen that much of his professional performances).
    Last edited by lauravvv; 07-09-2012 at 12:37 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post

Next one will be tough enough on its own.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
    Next one will be tough enough on its own.
    I agree. It will be tougher the normal way than it would be with a double elimination.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravvv View Post
    A double elimination? Nothing tough there, though. It will leave us with Yagudin an Plushenko anyway - just a bit sooner than without the double elimination. Besides, Takahashi and Lambiel are so equal overall, that they deserve to go together.
    I predict right now that if next week is a double elimination, Plushenko would go as one of the two choices.

vCash
    I fixed the Lambiel bonus videos. Thank you, lauravvv.

As for the possibility of a double elimination.... If I do it, everyone will get only one vote, so using it to "save" somebody will be a lot harder to do.

By the way, I think Plushenko may be vulnerable next week even if it's a single elimination.

As for this week, IMHO it's clearly Kulik's time to go. Whatever his comparative strengths, he didn't compete at the top level long enough or rack up enough major victories to warrant his staying in another round against the likes of these.

YEAH!
    vCash
    No double eliminations! It's just starting to get really interesting! And the off season has a ways to go...

I wonder where the Kulik votes will go.... if they're anti-Russian votes, I would assume Plushy, but I don't think that the Kulik voters are anti-Russian, I think they're based on his relatively weaker record. Kulik is also considered "artistic" moreso than Plush, so if these voters are willing to vote out more artistic skaters based on a weaker record, then that would imply they will switch to Takahashi, who will have the weakest record left.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    No double eliminations! It's just starting to get really interesting! And the off season has a ways to go...

I wonder where the Kulik votes will go.... if they're anti-Russian votes, I would assume Plushy, but I don't think that the Kulik voters are anti-Russian, I think they're based on his relatively weaker record. Kulik is also considered "artistic" moreso than Plush, so if these voters are willing to vote out more artistic skaters based on a weaker record, then that would imply they will switch to Takahashi, who will have the weakest record left.
    This Kulik vote will go to Labiel, I think. I have never beena fan of Plush, but his record really speaks for itself and I feel that in all good conscience I couldn't vote for him until it's him and Yags

I'd vote Lambiel over Takahashi just because Stephane's career is over and Daisuke's isn't, and I'm hoping Daisuke might snap up a few more (preferably gold) medals in what is left of his career. For me Kulik would have been out much sooner, and Chan would still be in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    I predict right now that if next week is a double elimination, Plushenko would go as one of the two choices.
    By the way, I think Plushenko may be vulnerable next week even if it's a single elimination.
    I am not so sure. All the Kulik voters will go somewhere. I think that Cherub721 (as quoted below) is right, and most of them are voting for Kulik based on his weaker record and overall achievements, as did I. Which also means that they are more likely to vote reasonably - that is - for Takahashi or Lambiel, not for Plushenko.

Or Lambiel, as I think the voting is not just about medals, but also about overall achievements - including longevity, other excellent skates that also could have medaled, or medaled higher than they did, and so on. That is very much about Takahashi.

vCash
    At the moment, there is a two-way tie for second (i.e., second from the bottom or fourth overall) between Takahashi and Lambiel, with 44 votes apiece, with Plushenko right behind with 42 votes. Even if Kulik is eliminated this round, it could be any one of these three to go next.

Yagudin is currently sitting pretty with just 6 votes.

YEAH!
    vCash

Yagudin is currently sitting pretty with just 6 votes.
    He is clearly going to win and I think he deserves it, but I hope it's Plushy at the end with him and there's a good discussion, cause I think there are some arguments for Plushy (a better Olympic record than Yags and more innovation in jump combos). Why can't a bunch of Plushy ubers register already?

vCash
    Why can't a bunch of Plushy ubers register already?
    Why can't FSU voters just be a little more objective and stop voting against their favorites' rivals out of spite? I haven't really enjoyed Plush's skating that much these past few years, but his record speaks for itself and he deserves to be here a few more rounds at the very least. I'd argue that maybe he even deserves to win over Yags, though I definitely don't see that happening.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    Chan? Why?
    He's Canadian, and many people on this board don't like Canadians

vCash
    Why can't a bunch of Plushy ubers register already?
    They'd probably rather register at the forums on Plushy's website and be among other ubers than register at a place where he's considered the most evil thing in skating and it's considered a sin to like him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Why can't FSU voters just be a little more objective and stop voting against their favorites' rivals out of spite? I haven't really enjoyed Plush's skating that much these past few years, but his record speaks for itself and he deserves to be here a few more rounds at the very least. I'd argue that maybe he even deserves to win over Yags, though I definitely don't see that happening.
    I agree. It should be Plushenko and Yagudin as the final two. Plushy won't win, but he should definitely be final two. His record is simply incredible, you have to admire his determination to continue, his longevity, and his incredible consistency. He's probably had fewer falls across his entire Senior career than Chan has had in two seasons.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast