View Poll Results: Who is the weakest link

Voters
296. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ilia Kulik

    97 32.77%
  • Alexei Yagudin

    11 3.72%
  • Evgeni Plushenko

    56 18.92%
  • Stéphane Lambiel

    66 22.30%
  • Daisuke Takahashi

    66 22.30%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 112
  1. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Havering-atte-Bower
    Posts
    3,483
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    The poll looks like the revenge of Patrick Chan fans
    Quote Originally Posted by Zokko! View Post
    this is getting really tough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Butz View Post
    This is getting tough.
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Oh, this is terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
    I really hate this


    I can make the next round tougher, if you want.


  2. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    230
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    People seem more bothered by Stephane's lack of a triple axel than others lack of a quad, but a quad and no triple axel is more valuable points wise than no quad and a triple axel, which many of his main competitors (eg- Weir, Lysacek, Buttle, Oda much of his career) had. Stephane also has done numerous triple axels in his career, unlike those I mentioned who have maybe done 1 or 2 clean quads.
    It doesn't look like people are more bothered by Stephane's lack of a triple axel than others lack of a quad. Lysacek and Buttle, they've been voted out. Oda and Weir, not even on the list. The only one here who has a lower quad success rate is Takahashi, and he's getting more votes than Lambiel. The result is just the opposite of what you said.
    Last edited by unicorn; 07-09-2012 at 06:30 AM.

  3. #43

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,259
    vCash
    289
    Rep Power
    40472
    Quote Originally Posted by vodkashot View Post
    Daisuke is the 2010 World Champion.
    So he is *facepalm*. Multiple World Champion, then.

    But then, I suppose, you look at someone like Plushenko, someone so great and talented and incredible...and he's only won it three times. So I don't know that World Championships can tell the tale of a whole career.

  4. #44

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,722
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    So he is *facepalm*. Multiple World Champion, then.

    But then, I suppose, you look at someone like Plushenko, someone so great and talented and incredible...and he's only won it three times. So I don't know that World Championships can tell the tale of a whole career.
    That's the problem with Dai and to a lesser extent Stephane - considering their talent and abilities, their record could have been better. Looking at medals and wins, some of the eliminated skaters certainly surpass them.

    Plushenko didn't compete at Worlds the years he medalled at the Olympics; I'm sure he could have had a more impressive record had a done so. And of course he WD in 2005.

  5. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    828
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    So he is *facepalm*. Multiple World Champion, then.

    But then, I suppose, you look at someone like Plushenko, someone so great and talented and incredible...and he's only won it three times. So I don't know that World Championships can tell the tale of a whole career.
    Yeah, Plush only has 3 world titles, the slacker... but then he only lost the title 3 times, as well (and all to Yags).

    Seriously, with the exception of Kulik, who took his OGM and split, the other four guys were hampered by injuries. Yagudin had to retire due to his hip, Lambiel gave up on the 3A due to (groin? abdomen?) injury, Dai's quad used to be a lot more consistant before his ACL injury and Plush, well, we all know he's held together by duct tape and gum.

  6. #46
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,189
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    That's the problem with Dai and to a lesser extent Stephane - considering their talent and abilities, their record could have been better. Looking at medals and wins, some of the eliminated skaters certainly surpass them.
    Like who? Stojko of course but who else. I dont consider any of Eldredge, Urmanov, Joubert, or Buttle to have had better careers than Lambiel or Takahashi. Lysacek and Chan might be considered by some to have better careers than Takahashi but I dont think either had a better career than Lambiel. Lambiel's extra World title + Olympic silver atleast equal Lysacek's Olympic Gold, and Lambiel has an extra grand prix final title. Chan doesnt even have an Olympic medal yet.

  7. #47

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,722
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Like who? Stojko of course but who else. I dont consider any of Eldredge, Urmanov, Joubert, or Buttle to have had better careers than Lambiel or Takahashi. Lysacek and Chan might be considered by some to have better careers than Takahashi but I dont think either had a better career than Lambiel. Lambiel's extra World title + Olympic silver atleast equal Lysacek's Olympic Gold, and Lambiel has an extra grand prix final title. Chan doesnt even have an Olympic medal yet.
    I said medals and wins. Stephane Lambiel especially does not have that good of a competitive record, because he didn't do all that well in the first few years of his career and skipped a lot of events in the latter part of it. And two of his biggest achievements - the first World title and the Olympic silver- came in poorly skated events in which even he wasn't that good. Dai's record is better, but still does not match his talent, IMO. One problem is that neither is/was a very consistent jumper (and Dai is prone to URs), and their injury issues probably haven't helped.

    Anyway - Stojko, of course. Joubert has a boatload of medals, including three European golds to Stephane's zero - think about it, Sarah Meier has more Euro titles than Stephane, and as many medals. In fact, Joubert has more (senior) ISU Championship medals than Stephane and Dai combined; you can even throw in their Olys medals and he will still have more medals than both of them together. Eldredge also won a lot of medals in his career, though fewer as he did not have a continental championship to compete in until late in his career. Chan's record is similar to that of Lambiel and Takahashi - maybe even a bit better - despite having been around for a shorter time.

    You know, between this and my earlier defense of Takahashi, I believe I have talked myself into voting for Lambiel in the next round.

  8. #48
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    1,316
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Thank you. Bu the first one is Plushenko's 2001 SP again, and the second is 2005 FS .




    I can make the next round tougher, if you want.

    A double elimination? Nothing tough there, though. It will leave us with Yagudin an Plushenko anyway - just a bit sooner than without the double elimination. Besides, Takahashi and Lambiel are so equal overall, that they deserve to go together.

    Now I probably have convinced you not to make it a double elimination .

    Voted for Kulik again. The least impressive medal record, a shorter competitive career + I don't see anything special in his style, although it was nice (at least when it comes to competitive programs - I haven't seen that much of his professional performances).
    Last edited by lauravvv; 07-09-2012 at 12:37 PM.

  9. #49

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    My old Kentucky home, far away
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,429
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5515
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post


    I can make the next round tougher, if you want.

    Next one will be tough enough on its own.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

  10. #50
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    1,316
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
    Next one will be tough enough on its own.
    I agree. It will be tougher the normal way than it would be with a double elimination.

  11. #51
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,592
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravvv View Post
    A double elimination? Nothing tough there, though. It will leave us with Yagudin an Plushenko anyway - just a bit sooner than without the double elimination. Besides, Takahashi and Lambiel are so equal overall, that they deserve to go together.
    I predict right now that if next week is a double elimination, Plushenko would go as one of the two choices.

  12. #52
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Havering-atte-Bower
    Posts
    3,483
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I fixed the Lambiel bonus videos. Thank you, lauravvv.

    As for the possibility of a double elimination.... If I do it, everyone will get only one vote, so using it to "save" somebody will be a lot harder to do.

    By the way, I think Plushenko may be vulnerable next week even if it's a single elimination.

    As for this week, IMHO it's clearly Kulik's time to go. Whatever his comparative strengths, he didn't compete at the top level long enough or rack up enough major victories to warrant his staying in another round against the likes of these.

  13. #53
    YEAH!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Worshipping Grebenkina...
    Posts
    13,800
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11008
    No double eliminations! It's just starting to get really interesting! And the off season has a ways to go...

    I wonder where the Kulik votes will go.... if they're anti-Russian votes, I would assume Plushy, but I don't think that the Kulik voters are anti-Russian, I think they're based on his relatively weaker record. Kulik is also considered "artistic" moreso than Plush, so if these voters are willing to vote out more artistic skaters based on a weaker record, then that would imply they will switch to Takahashi, who will have the weakest record left.

  14. #54

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,177
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    32148
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    No double eliminations! It's just starting to get really interesting! And the off season has a ways to go...

    I wonder where the Kulik votes will go.... if they're anti-Russian votes, I would assume Plushy, but I don't think that the Kulik voters are anti-Russian, I think they're based on his relatively weaker record. Kulik is also considered "artistic" moreso than Plush, so if these voters are willing to vote out more artistic skaters based on a weaker record, then that would imply they will switch to Takahashi, who will have the weakest record left.
    This Kulik vote will go to Labiel, I think. I have never beena fan of Plush, but his record really speaks for itself and I feel that in all good conscience I couldn't vote for him until it's him and Yags

    I'd vote Lambiel over Takahashi just because Stephane's career is over and Daisuke's isn't, and I'm hoping Daisuke might snap up a few more (preferably gold) medals in what is left of his career. For me Kulik would have been out much sooner, and Chan would still be in.

  15. #55
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    1,316
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    I predict right now that if next week is a double elimination, Plushenko would go as one of the two choices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    By the way, I think Plushenko may be vulnerable next week even if it's a single elimination.
    I am not so sure. All the Kulik voters will go somewhere. I think that Cherub721 (as quoted below) is right, and most of them are voting for Kulik based on his weaker record and overall achievements, as did I. Which also means that they are more likely to vote reasonably - that is - for Takahashi or Lambiel, not for Plushenko.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    I wonder where the Kulik votes will go.... if they're anti-Russian votes, I would assume Plushy, but I don't think that the Kulik voters are anti-Russian, I think they're based on his relatively weaker record. Kulik is also considered "artistic" moreso than Plush, so if these voters are willing to vote out more artistic skaters based on a weaker record, then that would imply they will switch to Takahashi, who will have the weakest record left.
    Or Lambiel, as I think the voting is not just about medals, but also about overall achievements - including longevity, other excellent skates that also could have medaled, or medaled higher than they did, and so on. That is very much about Takahashi.

  16. #56
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Havering-atte-Bower
    Posts
    3,483
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    At the moment, there is a two-way tie for second (i.e., second from the bottom or fourth overall) between Takahashi and Lambiel, with 44 votes apiece, with Plushenko right behind with 42 votes. Even if Kulik is eliminated this round, it could be any one of these three to go next.

    Yagudin is currently sitting pretty with just 6 votes.

  17. #57
    YEAH!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Worshipping Grebenkina...
    Posts
    13,800
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11008
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post

    Yagudin is currently sitting pretty with just 6 votes.
    He is clearly going to win and I think he deserves it, but I hope it's Plushy at the end with him and there's a good discussion, cause I think there are some arguments for Plushy (a better Olympic record than Yags and more innovation in jump combos). Why can't a bunch of Plushy ubers register already?

  18. #58

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    NY/NJ
    Posts
    4,924
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32055
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Why can't a bunch of Plushy ubers register already?
    Why can't FSU voters just be a little more objective and stop voting against their favorites' rivals out of spite? I haven't really enjoyed Plush's skating that much these past few years, but his record speaks for itself and he deserves to be here a few more rounds at the very least. I'd argue that maybe he even deserves to win over Yags, though I definitely don't see that happening.

  19. #59
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,261
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    Chan? Why?
    He's Canadian, and many people on this board don't like Canadians

  20. #60

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,259
    vCash
    289
    Rep Power
    40472
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Why can't a bunch of Plushy ubers register already?
    They'd probably rather register at the forums on Plushy's website and be among other ubers than register at a place where he's considered the most evil thing in skating and it's considered a sin to like him.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    Why can't FSU voters just be a little more objective and stop voting against their favorites' rivals out of spite? I haven't really enjoyed Plush's skating that much these past few years, but his record speaks for itself and he deserves to be here a few more rounds at the very least. I'd argue that maybe he even deserves to win over Yags, though I definitely don't see that happening.
    I agree. It should be Plushenko and Yagudin as the final two. Plushy won't win, but he should definitely be final two. His record is simply incredible, you have to admire his determination to continue, his longevity, and his incredible consistency. He's probably had fewer falls across his entire Senior career than Chan has had in two seasons.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •