Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    It was great to see solid jumps and superb presentation beat out a display of jumps and nothing else.
    Ashley and Suzuki skated wonderfully actually.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by martyross View Post
    I think Leonova was the target there. Kostner beat her by 5.

vCash

I can't see her winning in Soichi...top 5 probably. If she does decide to hang up her skates, she couldn't have picked a better time in her career to do it. I've gained a real appreciation for her skating these last two years so I'd be sad to see her go. But to go out on top...there's no beating that.
    this. !

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by martyross View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    I think Leonova was the target there. Kostner beat her by 5.
    Yes, I was referring to Kostner beating Leonova for gold. I honestly thought Akiko should have been 2nd and Ashley a very narrow 3rd. Alena's energy is great and most of her jumps were good, but the rest of her skating is a freakin' joke. The other three ladies had well choreographed balanced programs. Alena had nothing even close to that.

To see the judges reward that SP a top score made me wanna puke; all she did was jump and wiggle her hips with her mouth wide open...I might have quit watching skating if Alena ended up the world champion.

From reading that IN article it almost sounds like Miki is being roped into competing...

"This year, I don't feel like I am ready for competition, but I signed a paper (with the International Skating Union) in case I want to do the Grand Prix circuit ... I don't feel I want to compete yet, but I signed the contract, so I have no choice but to try my best. Let's see how it works out."
    That doesn't sound like someone who is committed to returning to competition for the right reasons...

vCash

To see the judges reward that SP a top score made me wanna puke; all she did was jump and wiggle her hips with her mouth wide open...I might have quit watching skating if Alena ended up the world champion.

From reading that IN article it almost sounds like Miki is being roped into competing...

That doesn't sound like someone who is committed to returning to competition for the right reasons...
    I feel the same with Yuna's comeback,
    they need some sort of new driving force !!

vCash
    Alena's energy is great and most of her jumps were good, but the rest of her skating is a freakin' joke. The other three ladies had well choreographed balanced programs. Alena had nothing even close to that.
    Just to clarify, I agree with you Leonova's programs are empty in between jumps, but I don't think her basic skating quality is to blame. I saw her live a couple of times now and she has good edges and power. It's too bad Morozov has her skating around on two feet while slashing throats or looking angsty since I think she could handle some challenging choreography -and do it justice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ioana View Post
    Just to clarify, I agree with you Leonova's programs are empty in between jumps, but I don't think her basic skating quality is to blame. I saw her live a couple of times now and she has good edges and power. It's too bad Morozov has her skating around on two feet while slashing throats or looking angsty since I think she could handle some challenging choreography -and do it justice.
    And that's all I'm saying. She has nice jumps, good speed and great energy...but her packaging is nothing short of a travesty. Awarding that kind of "choreography" and "interpretation" is going to run this sport right into the ground. That's why I was so appreciative of Carolina winning with two well done programs and also why I felt Akiko and Ashley should have placed higher.

Alena seems like a sweet girl and she's definitely talented, but her skating reminds me a lot of Irina Slutskaya. I respected the hell outta Irina for being a tough competitor, her longevity and her love of the sport...but her skating always left me feeling queasy too. I guess it's a matter of preference. I like the speed and power and all of that, but I prefer that ladies don't look like clunky unrefined tanks when they skate. That's just me though...

vCash
    Well it's a long road to Sochi and lets face it Miki and Carolina have both gone to two Olympics and haven't won a medal and maybe they don't feel like doing all the work that's needed to compete again. They are both not getting any younger either. As for Kim she has the Gold medal she doesn't have anything else to shoot for now. That's why i like with every new Olympics you have new skaters with their own stories to tell not just a rehash of old stories and old skaters. It's time for the new kids to shine. I think they are ready.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    That's why i like with every new Olympics you have new skaters with their own stories to tell not just a rehash of old stories and old skaters.
    But the whole point of going to Sochi for Carolina and Miki would be *not* to rehash their previous Olympics, but actually skate well (in Kostner's case) or with some emotion (for Ando). Whether or not you'd be interested in seeing that is up to you...I for one would be

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Just to add one important factor into the discussion...

Don't forget that one really wonky bad knee Carolina's got. I remember some complaining that while she landed her jumps at Worlds, where was the lutz? IIRC she decided not to do it because of the stress it put on her already badly damaged knee.

Considering she would be going on out on a high, as winning Worlds isn't exactly something to sneeze at, the knee and w/Kim and Ando both coming back w/perhaps Joannie as well, it sounds to me Carolina's making the choice of what's the right thing to do for her. She's been around for a very long time now and the sacrifices she's had to make to reach the top spot of the podium in March...Not even all of us know all of the choices she's had to make over the years.

As a long time Carolina fan, I was so beyond thrilled for her finally adding that World Title to her achievements this Spring. I hope that whatever she does decide to do, it's what makes her happy and that Carolina's also at peace w/her choice. If she does decide to stop competiting however, I'd miss seeing her out there.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    She finished 9th and 16th at the Olympics...you would think that it would motivate her to finish on a high note in Sochi.
    I also would like to see Kostner outdo her gold medal-winning performance.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I fell in love with Carolina's skating during the last two seasons. She became my favorite woman skater and the personification of what I love in the sport. Musicality, originality, skating skills, style and perseverance. If she decides to quit, I'll miss her a lot, but I'll also understand; last year she achieved pretty much everything. I LOVE reading how many plans and desires she has for her life after skating. Theatre and opera, teaching- that's so great.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    I got a question then. If a skater signs a contract with ISU regarding the participation of GP, couldn't he/she just withdraw later in case something comes up? I've seen many before but I think I might have heard somewhere that starting this season the rule has changed to lock skaters in GP circuit.

vCash
    In an interview for the current issue of International Figure Skating Carolina also said that she is taking time to make a decision. She kept her options open by getting assigned for the Grand Prix. She also said she kind of hopes to find the motivation in herself to continue.

vCash
    It's surprising she feels this way, thought her goal was to win a medal at the olympics. Whatever she decides, she's had a great career.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
    I got a question then. If a skater signs a contract with ISU regarding the participation of GP, couldn't he/she just withdraw later in case something comes up? I've seen many before but I think I might have heard somewhere that starting this season the rule has changed to lock skaters in GP circuit.
    The GP Announcement states that seeded skaters need to confirm their participation by August 1st -- see: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...23#post3613823
    3.1 Confirmation of Participation of Seeded skaters/couples
    The ISU Members must confirm the participation of the seeded skaters/couples in the two (2) events to the ISU Secretariat by August 1, 2012. If a seeded skater/couple does not participate in the event(s) for which they are designated, there will be no substitute event(s).
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Just to clarify, "Come-back" skaters and couples where were previously seeded are considered seeded, which is why GP announcement section 3.1 applies.

Becoming a "Come-back" skater or couple is a one-time option. The announcement doesn't state explicitly whether signing the contract alone is taking that option, whether the skater is confirmed (this year by 1 August), or whether the skaters skates.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Thanks for the clarification, Sylvia and Kwanfan1818

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by arakwafan2006 View Post
    To read her use words like sacrifice to describe her choice to skate and not live a normal life hits me in my core. She has done so much, and has so much more to do that i would not blame her for going out on an extremely high note. I wish her the best and would understand whatever decision she makes. This past year she dominated the circuit like Kim did.
    Most elite skaters have to make sacrifices and are aware of it.

In high school and after their friends are partying, dating, staying up late, traveling, eating pizza and drinking beer, hanging out in university pubs. In contrast, skaters have to lead disciplined, routine and focused lives. It's inevitable that they'll miss out on some of the life experiences common to teenagers and young adults.

Carolina has been in the spotlight since before the Torino Olympics. She's now 25 and it's not surprising she is finding the notion of retiring appealing. I don't think a Gold Medal in Sochi is her vision, nor whether she could actually contend for it. Now could be a very good time to move on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Well it's a long road to Sochi and lets face it Miki and Carolina have both gone to two Olympics and haven't won a medal and maybe they don't feel like doing all the work that's needed to compete again. They are both not getting any younger either. As for Kim she has the Gold medal she doesn't have anything else to shoot for now. That's why i like with every new Olympics you have new skaters with their own stories to tell not just a rehash of old stories and old skaters. It's time for the new kids to shine. I think they are ready.
    Very true. I dont see either Kostner or Ando being serious contenders in Sochi which will be the Russians, probably the Americans, Kim if she returns in half decent or better form, and possibly some of the other Japanese. Both are best to go out on the high of a World title. I wouldnt be surprised if Ando bails on her grand prix assignments and goes pro too, I dont think we will see either in Sochi.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast