Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Kostner considering quitting?

Couldn't see this link anywhere else

http://www.ansa.it/web/notizie/rubri...g_7151508.html

as a Carolina fan I would be sad to see this from a selfish point of view but wish her luck whatever course she takes.

vCash
    This is also being discussed in the Kostner thread in the Trash Can: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...95#post3613795
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggs View Post
    There are a several Italian articles reporting that Carolina is considering to quit competitive skating. Nothing is official yet, apparently there is a press conference scheduled for the beginning of next week where she will announce her future plans.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    To read her use words like sacrifice to describe her choice to skate and not live a normal life hits me in my core. She has done so much, and has so much more to do that i would not blame her for going out on an extremely high note. I wish her the best and would understand whatever decision she makes. This past year she dominated the circuit like Kim did.

Good luck Kostner.

vCash
    She finished 9th and 16th at the Olympics...you would think that it would motivate her to finish on a high note in Sochi.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkbiggestfan View Post
    She finished 9th and 16th at the Olympics...you would think that it would motivate her to finish on a high note in Sochi.
    With all the young skater coming up and now Kim announcing her return too, I think that she must realise that it wouldn't be easy for her to medal.

vCash
    This is sad news. It feels sort of an end of an era especially from a European perspective.

vCash
    It reminds me of Jeff Buttle. People couldn't understand why he would retire with the next Olympics in Canada but he didn't have the motivation anymore to put all the time in training. It sounds similar to Carolina and in a way they are similar skaters. I think she´ll be very happy in the next stage of her life/career just as Buttle seems extremely happy with his. I think she is making a wise decision (a little premature but why bring it up if you aren't seriously about to retire).

vCash
    I am a Carolina Kostner uber since I first saw her at the 2003 European Championships. I think if she decides to retire I would be very sad, but after all the highs and lows of her career I could understand it.

vCash
    She could wait until after the Sochi Olympics but if she is in a place where retiring after winning worlds is fulfilling for her than more power to her! Like Sarah Meier won Euros and than didn't go to worlds. I think that was before worlds was even delayed. It just wasn't part of the picture.

vCash
    I am thinking the word is likely a translation issue- but I don't think she could be considered to be "quitting" at this point. Retiring, maybe.

If she chooses to not compete any longer, I won't consider her to be a quitter for not making it to through the Olympic cycle. She has achieved fantastic things. I think it is fine to go out on a high note.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I am thinking the word is likely a translation issue- but I don't think she could be considered to be "quitting" at this point. Retiring, maybe.

If she chooses to not compete any longer, I won't consider her to be a quitter for not making it to through the Olympic cycle. She has achieved fantastic things. I think it is fine to go out on a high note.

Must admit I hadn't even taken quitting in this context to mean anything other than leaving the competitive scene on a high note, more than many she has proven throughout her career that she is anything but a quitter.

vCash
    Yeah, she's competed for so many years now. Given how successful her last season was, it's the perfect moment to finish her competitive career.

vCash
    I agree with the whole "go out on a high note" thing. Carolina's win at worlds was refreshing. It was great to see solid jumps and superb presentation beat out a display of jumps and nothing else.

However, with the younger crop of skaters entering the field and stronger competitors returning (Miki, Yu-Na) it might be good for Carolina to make her exit now. I think if she continues to compete she would still be a medal threat; based on her PCS alone, she's a medal threat. But I doubt very much that this year's worlds will be anything like last year's. The technical content will be high and high risk, and in order for Carolina to compete, she'd have to reintroduce her lutz and flip back into her arsenal. Didn't she forego surgery on her knee b/c of those two jumps? Maybe she's weighing whether or not it's worth it at this point.

I can't see her winning in Soichi...top 5 probably. If she does decide to hang up her skates, she couldn't have picked a better time in her career to do it. I've gained a real appreciation for her skating these last two years so I'd be sad to see her go. But to go out on top...there's no beating that.

vCash
    I hope not. Kostner and Suzuki are the reason I even watch the ladies. Now it's going to be dominated by teeny boppers that I cannot relate to and simply do not care for. Sigh....... Oh and what's worse, the Queen and her ubers are coming back.

vCash
    ^I agree.

She is an Italian national champ, multi-European Champ, and now a World Champ. She has been a top Senior competitor since 2003 (I remember her Bambi-like in DC at '03 Worlds in the final group of ladies). So, if she wants to retire on a high note after all that, all power to her.

She probably knows that an Olympic medal in '14 will involve 3-3's and a 3z, and may be her body is telling her that it won't take too much more punishing work-outs, stressful competitions, long seasons, etc ...

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    She's got to be towards the top of anyone's list for shows. If she stops competing, I'm sure she can call her own shots.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    These IceNetwork articles are merely summarizing what's been said in the original language articles that are posted here. (The Miki Ando Japanese article link is posted here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...86#post3613686 )

I hope Carolina Kostner follows her heart -- whatever she decides, I wish her well.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    No translation issues here. Many italians articles mentioned she's considering "leaving" the sport (lasciare, in italian) which is the most inappropriate word. They just don't realize that while she's young enough for the real life, she's not for skating. They simply don't know the sport, the discipline of woman's single skating, the history of the sport and the young competitors behind her. So she's not really "leaving" or quitting anything but competitive skating. She's definetely staying in the sport somehow, you can tell by watching the pure joy she was expressing in her skating this season.
    Retiring is the right word both in english or italian. And after all, I'd be happy for her if she retires now. Still, there is some remaining desire for a perfect skate at the Olympics, but maybe as she already had 2 shots it wasn't just meant to be, and it's two years, it's a very long road to Sochi.
    CaroFan™

vCash
    Nooooo!!! I was so excited to see her skate at TEB!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast