Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    I can't explain it any better -- and if you can't see it in her, then I doubt if anyone could really explain it to you.
    Bek et. al., if you don't understand the appeal after reading my, theatregirl's and skatingfan5's posst, then you won't see it in her. Gabby is adorable, she has that huge, wonderful, smile, her interviews are uber-animated. It's an IT quality that's hard to explain. Whoever thought Olga Korbut would be a huge star in the USA when she finished "only" 7th in the AA in 1972? But she was so famous here, that she was known as just Olga. I see Gabby as having the same spark, charisma, appeal, whatever you call it, as Olga did. YMMV.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pollyanna View Post
    Bek et. al., if you don't understand the appeal after reading my, theatregirl's and skatingfan5's posst, then you won't see it in her. Gabby is adorable, she has that huge, wonderful, smile, her interviews are uber-animated. It's an IT quality that's hard to explain. Whoever thought Olga Korbut would be a huge star in the USA when she finished "only" 7th in the AA in 1972? But she was so famous here, that she was known as just Olga. I see Gabby as having the same spark, charisma, appeal, whatever you call it, as Olga did. YMMV.
    I do see the appeal of Gabby. I just don't think Maroney for examp is lacking in that area either.

vCash
    Probably not, pollyanna. Charisma is something that people feel, after all.
    I am with poths, however, I don't feel it. Maybe it is an American thing? (And I honestly mean that without sounding offensive - maybe it is just a cultural thing)

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i'm american and i don't feel it. i thought the gabbie bandwagon was sort of an anyone but jordyn kind of a thing.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    This video here IMO sums up why the US media and audience will love Gabby:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=HbhzLI-vNjE

Shes basically just really endearing, and has that thing where she openly fights through her bad performances and gets stronger the more crowd love, media, and support she gets. It's that thing Kwan had, too.
    Last edited by Karpenko; 07-27-2012 at 10:38 PM.

vCash
    I don't know - I just don't find her that endearing nor her gymnastics that great - regardless of how many times I read it (or probably the more I read it the less I think it - I think this effect happens if you are not really sold on someone than the "hype" gets to you. And sometimes (for me that happened with Yu-Na) just one poster's hype is enough to driver you over the edge ).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    Probably not, pollyanna. Charisma is something that people feel, after all.
    I am with poths, however, I don't feel it. Maybe it is an American thing? (And I honestly mean that without sounding offensive - maybe it is just a cultural thing)
    Exactly. Some people feel it, some don't. Which is, I believe, what I said upthread along with the whole YMMV thing.

I don't think it is an American thing. I really can't speak for anyone else, but I believe there is a poster here who lives in Wales I believe, and is a big gymnastics fan, who also feels Gabby's je nes sais quoi. I could be wrong.

So on to McKayla Maroney. I'm so bummed about her foot injury, she has by far my favorite floor routine of all the Americans, and she has my favorite gymnastics overall from the team. I love her extension, line, and toepoint. It's too bad we are only going to see a few vaults from her. I hope in future she can overcome her beam and especially her bars blunders. I think she has it in her to make a Worlds AA podium in future. At any rate, I think she is a gorgeous gymnast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    I don't know - I just don't find her that endearing nor her gymnastics that great - regardless of how many times I read it (or probably the more I read it the less I think it - I think this effect happens if you are not really sold on someone than the "hype" gets to you. And sometimes (for me that happened with Yu-Na) just one poster's hype is enough to driver you over the edge ).
    I had the same effect with Yu-Na actually, and I apologize I probably sound SO annoying most of the time when it comes to her (or always, but yeah just skim on by) I admit I feel that way about Iordache compltely but I see how talented and great she is, I just can't get into her as much. I also feel that way about Justin Bieber and Twilight. It's just a taste/culture thing I guess. I tend to overhype my favorites a bit.. much. But then again we all do, and it will never stop its always the same thing just a new set of players.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i'm american and i don't feel it.
    Me neither. But I get why most of America does and I'm not your typical American. I find it totally annoying when, in the start of the video Karpenko linked, Gabby's mom says "Gabby is living over 3000 miles away!!" OMG. Does she really think Virginia and Iowa are 3000 miles apart? Typical American ignorance and hyperbole that sadly, appeals to most Americans.

OTOH I love McKayla. Any interview of hers. Hilarious, honest and serious all at once. And she is gorgeous with a bitchface. So dig her.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i love that about maroney. her face always says, "bitch i would cut you for an extra one hundredth of a pt."
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I don't think Gabby is anything special (from a marketing standpoint) and I can't see her becoming a big star after the Olympics. Even if she wins I think she will be no more famous than Nastia. That's certainly nothing to be upset about but Nastia was no Mary Lou or Nadia. I think she has more charisma than most robotic gymnasts but that doesn't mean she has IT, either. I think Maroney has far more personality and I think she could be a bigger star although it might be tough only being seen doing 1 vault that takes all of 5 seconds.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I think Douglas has the most "personality" in that bubbly kind of way. I think Maroney, however, has the most charisma.

I'm not really that drawn to it, but I know it really sells in the US.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pollyanna View Post
    So on to McKayla Maroney. I'm so bummed about her foot injury, she has by far my favorite floor routine of all the Americans, and she has my favorite gymnastics overall from the team. I love her extension, line, and toepoint. It's too bad we are only going to see a few vaults from her. I hope in future she can overcome her beam and especially her bars blunders. I think she has it in her to make a Worlds AA podium in future. At any rate, I think she is a gorgeous gymnast.
    My feelings nearly exactly -- especially the bolded part. I feel so of her floor routine. Watching the podium training of the other US women on floor didn't exactly help me feel better.

About Gabby's appeal -- I agree with the bubbly, spark, energy -- and that is something Shawn also had/has. But I was much more drawn to Nastia's gymnastics -- and her intensity. Everyone finds different things and different athletes compelling.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    It is *possible* that the Iordache injury is more for the media post Olympics whereby she wins in the face of adversity, in agony endearing her more to the public etc.

I do find it interesting to see who is pegged as "A star" and I genuinely think the judges marks reflect their potential to draw an audience to the sport post Olympics.

I wonder if there has been Politiking of Gabby over Jordyn in light of that!?!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by poths View Post
    It is *possible* that the Iordache injury is more for the media post Olympics whereby she wins in the face of adversity, in agony endearing her more to the public etc.

I do find it interesting to see who is pegged as "A star" and I genuinely think the judges marks reflect their potential to draw an audience to the sport post Olympics.

I wonder if there has been Politiking of Gabby over Jordyn in light of that!?!
    Perhaps I will say though if we are going to go by cuteness Iodorache has it over everyone else.

vCash
    NBC dubbed the US gymnastic team the "Fab Five" in the opening ceremony opening fluff.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    Although I do think that Jordyn will be a huge star if she wins. I think that, perhaps, people who don't believe that don't like Jordyn's gymnastics and don't see that the US public will be happy to embrace Jordyn if she comes out and is rock solid for the team and for herself even with all the pressure of being the defending world champ. Not having pretty lines isn't going to matter that much.
    I disagree. If Wieber wins, she will certainly get a lot of publicity — for a bit. But she is boring. Douglas has the personality to keep the spotlight. Already, most of the run-up articles/photos are of Douglas, not Wieber.

Quote Originally Posted by BreakfastClub View Post
    OTOH I love McKayla. Any interview of hers. Hilarious, honest and serious all at once. And she is gorgeous with a bitchface. So dig her.
    Completely agree. She's my fave.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpenko View Post
    I admit I feel that way about Iordache compltely but I see how talented and great she is, I just can't get into her as much. I also feel that way about Justin Bieber and Twilight. It's just a taste/culture thing I guess. I tend to overhype my favorites a bit.. much. But then again we all do, and it will never stop its always the same thing just a new set of players.
    I totally feel like Iordache. I'm struggling not to root against her because of some of the hype. But Twilight and Justin Beiber are not that. They are effing terrible. It's not a hype effect.

Quote Originally Posted by brina View Post
    NBC dubbed the US gymnastic team the "Fab Five" in the opening ceremony opening fluff.
    I HATE that. The fab 5 are already a thing.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    who are the other fab 5?

vCash
    The 1991 Michigan basketball recruiting class. Incredibly famous in the rest of the sports world.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast